T top foot repair to the deck

spitfisher

Cadet
Hello, my t top is mounted in 6 spots, 2 to the center console and 4 feet attached to the deck, not sure if there is a backing plate, helicoils or inserts for these four feet. problem a couple of the screws have become loose to the point that 2 of the feet actually move a tiny bit. This will only get worse I realise.

Question- to reseat these screws for good! is there an epoxy or adhesive that you would recommend,? Also should I consider a tiny bit bigger screw as well? they are very close to stripping, not much grab to it when I tighten.

Obviously the tee top takes apounding when in rough water- this is the likely cause.

Thanks

jonesg

Admiral
Re: T top foot repair to the deck

Is it original factory installed, if not, its probably just bedded ,
but who knows into what?

it could be bedded into foam.!

You can either find a way to get under there and find out or just inject a bunch of thickened putty like marine tex. I don't like that idea.
Stainless toggle bolts might be a better option.

If worse comes to worse you could put mounting plates on top of the deck, I just did that with mine, blind T nuts countersunk into hardwood plates, PL to the deck and glass over it. Doesn't look pretty but its more practical than the unknown quantity. I'm more concerned with something coming loose on the hi-way than on the water.

spitfisher

Cadet

an aquaitenance of mine said since it's not all the screws on each foot, remove screws that are loose, inspect and clean the holes and then use 3m 5200 in the holes and threads, wait 24 hours and you should be good to go.

the screws look like a wood screw, narrow tip with threads all the way to the head, courser & deeper thread is what I have. which leads me to believe it's just screwed in to the deck and possible under structure.

jonesg

Admiral

an aquaitenance of mine said since it's not all the screws on each foot, remove screws that are loose, inspect and clean the holes and then use 3m 5200 in the holes and threads, wait 24 hours and you should be good to go.

the screws look like a wood screw, narrow tip with threads all the way to the head, courser & deeper thread is what I have. which leads me to believe it's just screwed in to the deck and possible under structure.

Your freind shoud read the directions on 5200, it takes a week to cure.:)
you don't have to be an engineer to know 5200 cannot possibly hold a T top.
Whatever the screws go into is shot, whether its rotted wood or pulverized marinetex doesn't matter, its not going to hold a screw and ...a screw is the worst possible way to mount those tops.

I would drill a 1 inch holes with a hole saw,
inject milled glass fiber/cabosil/ epoxy paste to fill the holes ,
place a glass patch over the epoxy 'plugs' ,
let cure and drill new screwholes into the epoxy.

A better way, especially if you hit an open air pocket whilst drilling is sawzall the deck open beneath the console, reach in and install backing for the mounting holes, then nut and bolt with big fender washers under the deck.

If you do a half baked repair you might want to glass the console to the deck from the inside of the console because that will be coming loose next...if they haven't started already.

I removed all my console mounting screws, filled holes with 5200 and glassed it to the deck inside the console, its a lot more solid now and no more water seeping thru.