My 2000 16' Sylvan Expedition Project

targetpanic

Seaman
I know it's not a Starcraft:D

Let's give you guys a little history. The original owner did NOT take care of this boat even though he bought it brand new. he sold it to a gentleman who wanted it just for the '06 E-tec that was on the back. I bought the boat, trailer, trolling motor and fishfinder for cheap money last summer. There was some hull damage and it needed to be rewired.
DSC00729.jpg

DSC00735.jpg

DSC00733.jpg

Last summer I repaiered the bent strake, and rewired the entire boat, putting in a new fused switch panel, bilge pump, livewell pump etc.
The reservoir I fish has a hp limit. 20hp 2-stroke or 25hp 4-stroke and the boat must be rated for at least twice the motor. i.e a 25stroke has to be on a boat rated for at least a 50hp. This boat is rated for a 75, it is wide and deep.
The boat still had a leak, but not too bad, and I suspected the foam was waterlogged just because of how sluggish the boat was.
So last week they CLOSED the reservoir I fish for 45 days due to Zebra mussels being found in anothe lake in the state...what better time than now to tear the boat apart.

After watching som INCREDIBLE restos here I felt ready to tackle the job.

Last Friday I started tearing it apart. Here is what it looked like before I started, and where I am at now.
DSC00857.jpg

DSC00861.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: My 2000 16' Sylvan Expedition Project

Target your right its not a Starcrft but its still a Tinny so your ok with us :D. Good lookin boat once you have the interior out of her check for loose rivets and get a 2 pound kit of Gluvit to hit all the seams and rivets from inside while the interior is out .

Rick

targetpanic

Seaman

More pics. The carpet was in poor condition, the paint is chipped on the top rails etc.
DSC00870.jpg

DSC00873.jpg

My goal is to tear it down to the hull, check the transom, fix any leaking rivets and another area right at the low point of the bow, gluvit the inside, replace the foam, new decks, Durabak, then get back to fishing...the paint will most likely come next year.
Back deck out
DSC00882.jpg

Front deck out
DSC00885.jpg

deeper
DSC00891.jpg

targetpanic

Seaman

Saturday morning the Gas tank came out, the main deck came up.

So this is what poured in foam looks like
DSC00894.jpg

I cut out the foam with a sheetrock saw and a sawzall with a short blade on it, came out pretty good. I estimate the foam weighed 250-300lbs. unreal.
DSC00898.jpg

Hit it with the pressure washer, and took a wire wheel to the seams and rivets.
DSC00900.jpg

I ordered the gluvit and am waiting on that.
Went to HD and bought 3/4 AC exterior for the front and back deck, 1/2" AC exterior for the main deck (that's what was in there to start). I cut all the 1/2" pieces tonight and will cut the 3/4" tomorrow night. They are all getting treated on all sides with 2 coats of spar varnish.
More pics to come as work is done.
Now does anyone know if I can get by with 1 gal of durabak for this project??? I will only be covering the flat surfaces. All the verticles will be the original carpet as the verts were in fairly good condition.
The transom checked out just fine and is stating in there.
The center keel has a rubber type gasket in there. I have a leak coming from that area but cannot locate exactly where, I plan on marinetexing and gluviting that entire area...similar to one that a thread by lakeorbay had (just on a much smaller scale)...anyone have experience or suggestions with this area of the boat??
Oh yeah...found about 10 loose rivets that we re-bucked too so far.

Thanks for the help, hope you are enjoying the pics and look forward to getting more up soon.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Looks like your moving right along :D. I am also guessing youve been reading a little so you already know about the blue or pink foam at the home stores that doesnt soak up water like the poured in junk :D.

Rick

targetpanic

Seaman

Yes Rick, I did a LOT of reading on here before I started. without forums like this, I would never have dared to do this. I bought 4 sheets of 2" and 2 sheets of 1" pink foam to get started.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You're doing a great job. Hard to believe someone let such a nice boat get in such poor condition so quickly. It will be great when you're done with it. Especially with the durabak in stead of carpet.

targetpanic

Seaman

You're doing a great job. Hard to believe someone let such a nice boat get in such poor condition so quickly. It will be great when you're done with it. Especially with the durabak in stead of carpet.

EZ...I think the same thing...how could you spend this much money on a boat and abuse it the way it was.
Do you have any ideas on how much durabak I will need...if I need more than 1 gallon then I may have to go to vinyl. Hoping that just doing the walking surfaces (main deck, back and front casting decks that 1 gallon will get it done????????

Rickairmedic

Commander

Target I would say a gallon should be safe ( granted I have never used the duraback ) . I have barely used 1 quart of the red on my 16'er on the sides nd I have 3 coats on already. I actually got 3 quarts and will most likely end up with a quart left over even after doing some red on the inside and I still need to wetsand the outside and apply 2 more coats and wet sand again.

Rick

targetpanic

Seaman

Thanks Rick. I'll order a gallon and hope.

It was raining last night but I managed to cut a few more of the 3/4" deck pieces and remove all the hardware from the back deck...amazing how many screws, nuts and bolts are there between the gas fill, seat base, and supports for 2 hatches.
I was hoping that I would be able to cut fron and back deck out of the same sheet of 3/4" but there is no way. Back to HD on the way home from work to pick up another sheet.
Gluvit should be in today. and I want to have the gluvit done and Spar varnish on and foam in by the end of the weekend.

tplug

Recruit

Target, unbelievable that someone could destroy a boat like that so quickly.

I have basically the same boat but the 2006 explorer version. Here are my thoughts,comments & exeperinces with mine. The trolling motor batteries were up front on mine in a storage compartment which made the boat
nose heavy even with a 70 2stroke on the back. I would guess you will have the same problem with a 25hp. I moved mine to the back storage compartments and ran a 4ga gauge wire to the front for the trollong motor.
Get all your wiring run while the floor is out much easier than trying to fish-tape it thru at a leater date.

Rod storage is inadequete in mine. Check out the new sylvan marine website
and look how they changed the front deck. They just rearranged a few things and now have a rod locker. Maybe this could work for you.

You can still get the paint/carpet to match at your local sylvan dealer so that should not be much of an issue.

Very nice boat hope to see more pictures as you put it back together.

targetpanic

Seaman

tplug, I thought about moving the trolling motor battery to the back, the boat is nose heavy with the 25. sits in the water damn near even but if anything it tips a little towards the front. The only problem isthat if I put another 70lbs of battery in the back, then there is no WAY that the boat will get up on plane with the 25.

I will check out the website to look at rod locker options.

I will never put carpet in a boat again...last night I tore the carpet off the back deck and was horrified at how much dirt/dust/crap was under there...it was disgusting!! Durabak on the way LOLOL

tplug

Recruit

Target, I agree carpet belongs in the house not on a boat.

targetpanic

Seaman

Last night after work, I cut the bow deck out, cut all the hatches, and sanded the edges of all the pieces. Ready for Spar varnish...waiting on the weather. Hopefully tomorrow, Sat and Sun I can get the varnish on and the Gluvit on.

Anyone have any advice on the hatches. I cut the openings in the deck the same size as the original ones with a rotozip, but it's tough to know exactly how big to cut the hatches themselves, gotta put the Z-channel back in for supports, plus the hinges, plus the thickness of the durabak...trial and error I guess???

targetpanic

Seaman

Well it was a productive couple days.
Friday was cool and rainy so the Gluvit was out of the question. I did manage to get 2 coats of spar varnish on all the new deck pieces.

Saturday morning I vaccumed the hull, hit it with laquer thinner, and put down a coat of GLuvit.
I also put all the harware (z brackets) for the hatches, made sura all the holes were pre drilled in the decks etc. In the evening I put on a second coat of GLuvit. Of course some rain came overnight and turned it a whitish color but it said in the product literature that it would not affect the performance.

This week I need to get the 2 coats Durabak on, put the gastank back in, put the foam in, and start reassembly

Pics to come tonight (not very exciting though)

Rickairmedic

Commander

Target they dont have to be exciting just pictures :D.

Rick

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Man, you are really going to town on that!

Sylvan isn't a Starcraft but not far off, they make a very nice boat, local factory to me, about 15 minutes away in New Paris.

Your project sounds alot like when I rebuilt mine, had 2 weeks off for Christmas, got it almost completely done in that time.

You got it on the hathces, geuss a little big and trim them, I used carpet and had to retrim a couple times.

You will really like fishing a boat you built yourself, any where you look on it you can say "I did that", its pretty neet.

We have the Zebras up here and they SUCK, good luck keeping them out.

targetpanic

Seaman

well,
I haven't gotten anything else done during this week
Her are a few pics of the deck pieces etc
DSC00901.jpg

and getting 2 coats of spar varnish on all sides
DSC00904.jpg

get back at it on Friday

targetpanic

Seaman

I just hope all those pre-drilled holes line up like they are supposed to!!! We'll find out soon enough

Rickairmedic

Commander

Looking good Target I havent touched mine in days due to rain hope to get back on her this weekend .

Rick