Installing new drain tube in the transom

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Hey all,

Sorry if there is already a post on this, but i give up trying the search, I can put in 20340983 words and it still says:

"The search term you specified (a) is under the minimum word length (2) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. "

So I gave up trying...

Anyway,

Just finishing my rebuild, and I need to install the new drain tube in the transom... Everyone I can find at the marine supply is flared on one side, and not the other... (obviously cant stick it through the hole if both sides are flared), but that leads me to my problem...

My questions are:

1. How do you set it in place and keep it there? (silicone, set it in fiberglas resin?)
2. Is there a way to flare the un-flared side to make it appear finished on both ends?
2a. If yes, how do you do it?
2b. If no, then how do you seal or finish off the unflared side?

Thanks in advance for your help!

redfury

Commander
Re: Installing new drain tube in the transom

That type of drain tube requires a special tool that can flare and crimp the non crimped side once you've set it into the transom. The best thing you can do for yourself when you install it though, is to seal it up with 3M marine adhesive ( 4200 or 5200 ) before you crimp it.

If you have a boat shop that does fiberglass repairs, you can probably have them crimp it for a small charge if you don't want to buy a tool if you can't find one to rent.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Click on the "boat parts & accessories" link above and then type "drains" in the search window. Many different types and styles including the drain tube style you're talking about.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

You don't need a special tool. Here is how I have done it for splashwell drains.

1. Measure tickness of transom where tube goes.
2. Trim tube to 1/8" to 3/16" longer than you measured in step 1
3. Coat tube with 3m 5200 and insert into hole. I insert from inside.
4. Clamp tube in place using 2 clamps and a 2x4 with the clamps on either side of the tube.
5. The other side of the tube should be unobstructed.
6. Now take a steel bar a little smaller than the inside of the tube and a hammer and work the protruding end down to form a flange
7. clean up the 5200 that squeezes out
8. done.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

That type of drain tube requires a special tool that can flare and crimp the non crimped side once you've set it into the transom. The best thing you can do for yourself when you install it though, is to seal it up with 3M marine adhesive ( 4200 or 5200 ) before you crimp it.

If you have a boat shop that does fiberglass repairs, you can probably have them crimp it for a small charge if you don't want to buy a tool if you can't find one to rent.

OK thanks for the information... sadly I do not have the tool, no place to rent one, and no boat shop anywhere nearby...

You don't need a special tool. Here is how I have done it for splashwell drains.

1. Measure tickness of transom where tube goes.
2. Trim tube to 1/8" to 3/16" longer than you measured in step 1
3. Coat tube with 3m 5200 and insert into hole. I insert from inside.
4. Clamp tube in place using 2 clamps and a 2x4 with the clamps on either side of the tube.
5. The other side of the tube should be unobstructed.
6. Now take a steel bar a little smaller than the inside of the tube and a hammer and work the protruding end down to form a flange
7. clean up the 5200 that squeezes out
8. done.

Also thanks for the information, but only 1 of the 2 tubes is in the splashwell, the other is the bottom of the transom, and I have no way to "clamp" it in place that I can see or think of... :(

Click on the "boat parts & accessories" link above and then type "drains" in the search window. Many different types and styles including the drain tube style you're talking about.

Thanks... I decided to go with this:
http://www.iboats.com/Injection_Molded_Drain_Tube/dm/*******.042748859--**********.655693248--view_id.341807

Since it looks like its 2 piece and would be easiest to install... now that leads to a new (but related) question...

This is just a small (15ft) fiberglass bowrider... do you think this type of plastic two-piece tube setup would be ok for the bildge/transom drain to the outside? (Im not really worried about the splashwell), but I'm wondering if this would leak excessively below the water line??

redfury

Commander

You can get a fine seal with that below the water line, just use some 3M 4200 sealant/adhesive and goop a good part of it around in the hole and on the tube and install! Just make sure you have a throw away rag like a dishtowel and some acetone to clean up the mess.

I'm currently using a cheap garboard style drain made out of plastic because the local place wanted $27 for the brass one :eek:. I drilled the hole with a forstner bit, shoved some 4200 in the hole and smeared it around with my finger a bit, put some more on the drain and shoved it in there. Sealed the screw holes with some more, installed the screws and wiped it all down with some acetone. For now, I've got a good drain that I'm not worried about. I'll put in a nice stainless steel one once I get to the point where I can actually use my boat.

skybobber

Banned

Hey all,

Sorry if there is already a post on this, but i give up trying the search, I can put in 20340983 words and it still says:

"The search term you specified (a) is under the minimum word length (2) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. "

So I gave up trying...

Anyway,

Just finishing my rebuild, and I need to install the new drain tube in the transom... Everyone I can find at the marine supply is flared on one side, and not the other... (obviously cant stick it through the hole if both sides are flared), but that leads me to my problem...

My questions are:

1. How do you set it in place and keep it there? (silicone, set it in fiberglas resin?)
2. Is there a way to flare the un-flared side to make it appear finished on both ends?
2a. If yes, how do you do it?
2b. If no, then how do you seal or finish off the unflared side?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You are looking for the Moller Flanging tool, 1" Part # MOE-2070000
or 1 1/4" MOE-2070400 you can find them here or at Jamestown Distributors

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=9550&SHOPPING

CobiaXL

Banned

I'm currently using a cheap garboard style drain made out of plastic because the local place wanted $27 for the brass one
I use and would recommend garboard.Used epoxy to seal it up tight.

BassPro has them for $5.99
Item#38-586-646-00
Threaded Garboard Drain and Plug is made of brass. Drain requires a 1'' diameter installation hole. Plug fits standard 1'' drains.

Friscoboater

Captain

I installed the brass plug in my project and it worked fine. I was scared to use plastic back there. To easy to cross thread.

bret_dmb

Cadet

The Moeller flange tool is $40??? It looks like a bolt and a few nuts. There has to be a better option/ homemade version. Maybe I'll just take mine to a rebuilder and see if they can do it for a couple bucks.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

The Moeller flange tool is $40??? It looks like a bolt and a few nuts. There has to be a better option/ homemade version. Maybe I'll just take mine to a rebuilder and see if they can do it for a couple bucks.

$42.00 plus shipping but it works great. I have one, but I use it a good bit. You can flare the tubes with a ball peen hammer but it's tricky and doesn't look near as good.

I know several guys that have the two piece plastic ones that have had no problem so far. The 3M 4200 seals them up fine.

bret_dmb

Cadet

I like the ball peen hammer idea. Most likely I'll only have to do this once and I like the brass drains better than those plastic ones. Especially since I want to keep my boat as original as possible.

dOb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used a 3 inch bolt with a flat washer on the pre-flanged end, and a wing nut that was about an inch and a half wide on the straight end. As I tightened the wing nut, it started to flare the brass tube. It gave me about a 45 degree angle. The rest I did with a hammer. Remember to cover the tube and opening with sealant before you start. I used 3M 5200.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I used a 3 inch bolt with a flat washer on the pre-flanged end, and a wing nut that was about an inch and a half wide on the straight end. As I tightened the wing nut, it started to flare the brass tube. It gave me about a 45 degree angle. The rest I did with a hammer. Remember to cover the tube and opening with sealant before you start. I used 3M 5200.

That's a good idea, get the flare started first......

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like that idea. Do you have any pics of your finished product?

dOb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a picture I took with my phone. It's round and the plug fits snug.
drain.jpg

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice, thanks. Looks good!

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bored at work. This might work after you start the flange with the wingnut. The reason I loaded up the inside of the drain tube up with washers is to prevent the flange from collapsing on itself when you tighten it up.

homemade flange tool.JPG

bret_dmb

Cadet

The wing nut is a great idea. Can't wait to try it. Thanks!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Bored at work. This might work after you start the flange with the wingnut. The reason I loaded up the inside of the drain tube up with washers is to prevent the flange from collapsing on itself when you tighten it up.

View attachment 91541

Man you are bored at work, aren't you?? :cool: :cool: