1974 21ft. Starcraft Super Sport Rebuild

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1974 21ft. Starcraft Super Sport Rebuild

Thanks. I am hoping to plow on through and enjoy it this fall. If I go with the stainless, do I still seal it with Gluvit like I have done with the aluminum, or do I use 5200?

Floyd

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks. I am hoping to plow on through and enjoy it this fall. If I go with the stainless, do I still seal it with Gluvit like I have done with the aluminum, or do I use 5200?

Floyd

5200 gets my vote for anything through the transom

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Kev, good to hear from you. I think I now own stock in 5200 (Ha!). I am getting ready to flip her this weekend to prep for paint. While curing I am going to start trying to revive the late 70's rude that came with it and make plans for decking. Any suggestions on deck covering. I kind of wanted to stay away from carpet/vinyl and was looking at durabak or kiwi. Anyone have any experience with those products? The deck will be fiberglassed first.

I have also read several posts on noodles for flotation. Where is the best supplier for these in bulk? Wally world?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Floyd, glad to see you back at it, hope you healed up well:)

I found a good deal at Dollar Tree for noodles, a dollar store we have in Michigan. You may be able to fnd some online, but many of us had good luck at local retailers.

3M stock symbol is MMM if you are looking to invest;) I know we Starcrafters keep them in business as well as Fastenal for rivets and Marine Tex for Gluvit:D

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I am glad to be back at it as well. It hasn't been fun when I am told to basically not use my right arm for much of anything for 10-12 months. Yeah, that is really possible. Needless to say I still have the pain, but it is getting better. I did have an interesting experience when using the air riveter. After about 100 rivets the vibration actually made the elbow and arm feel better. You should have seen the look on my Dr's face when I told him that. I got one of those "you did what" looks. Thanks for the info on the noodles. We do have a couple of the dollar stores in town. Now if it will stop raining so I can get this thing flipped.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Sweet ride & sweet project...looking forward to your progress...glad to hear your on the mend!

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Kenny. At this point I am still debating cc versus the original ss layout. I was just looking at your thread and getting jealous. I need to have this thing in the water (as my 9 yr old son keeps telling me).

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I have been gone for some time and the withdrawal was too much so I am back. The boat is in paint and waiting to be striped. Then it will be to flotation, tank, decking, etc. The plan right now is that it will emerge as a CC when all is said and done. Following everybody's threads has been inspiring for the last several months and clearly has made my job a lot easier with not having to figure out so much on my own. Everytime I read something Jas has done I think, dang I should have thought of that. And actually, to be honest, sometimes Jas I have thought....he did what? I can't wait to see her all finished up.

Anyway, hopefully I will get some new pics up soon. I am wondering if anyone has a source for a new data plate. I need one for a 74 21ft. ss. Mine has totally faded and I know I need the info. posted to be compliant. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Floyd

emoney

Commander

I think the majority of suggestions I've seen were to have a local printer replicate one. I'm not sure there's anyone re-manufacturing them.

Good to see you back and that you haven't given up yet. Pics, pics, pics!

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. Glad to be back. Jas, so I guess I need a picture of a ID plate for my boat. Anybody out there with similar boat that could take a pic for me would be much appreciated. I can get one made I believe, but I cannot read anything that is on the original at all so I am starting from scratch. I know a few things like max occ. is 10 and max HP is 190. I would just like it to look as much like the original layout as possible.

Floyd

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys. Glad to be back. Jas, so I guess I need a picture of a ID plate for my boat. Anybody out there with similar boat that could take a pic for me would be much appreciated. I can get one made I believe, but I cannot read anything that is on the original at all so I am starting from scratch. I know a few things like max occ. is 10 and max HP is 190. I would just like it to look as much like the original layout as possible.

Floyd

Nah, you don't really need a photo of one, just the data. The brochures may have the info you need...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=349830

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jas. I have a borchure so I know I have the info.

Floyd