What size closed rivets for aluminum boat

tbarto

Cadet
Hello, I have a 16' starecraft boat that I need to repair 6 rivets along the keel. The rivets broke when I hit a rather larger rock. The aluminum bent but is OK. Can anyone tell me what is the correct size rivet to use. I assume a 3/16 size hole will be made to take the old rivet out but how long should the rivet be? I assume I will need to fasten 3 pieces of aluminum together so the material might be .300 thick?? I'm not sure?? (keel, floor, support beam) all need to be riveted together? Also, can I use a hand held rivet gun? or do I need a more powerful gun.

I am new to riveting so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What size closed rivets for aluminum boat

For solid rivets length you need the thickness of the material you are going to fasten plus 1.5 times the diameter of the rivet before bucking.

tbarto

Cadet

Thanks. I was thinking of using closed end rivets. I don't have access to inside. What size closed end should I use? Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Use a drill bit to measure the diameter of the exsisting hole. I imagine it will be 1/4 or 3/16 of an inch diameter. You can get closed end pop rivets and install them with 3m5200..... you will probably want to get a 1/2" grip range.

tbarto

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. Can I use a std hand held gun for this?