Need to replace wooden bench seats - what to use?

dancw77

Cadet
My first post, so here goes....

I have a 1966 14' Starcraft tinnie that still has the original bench seats. The wood measures .75" x 11.25" (1" x 12" I am guessing) and I think it is redwood or teak. I am looking to replace the wood but need ideas on what to use. I had thought about using plywood and painting it, but I really like the finished look of what is on there now (except that it's starting to rot). It also needs to be fairly strong as I can't go any thicker than whats there because of the size of the mounting brackets. What types of wood hold up well in this application? I may just go with plywood to keep it cheap, but I wanted some input on what others have done.

I searched for similar questions, but surprisingly I didn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Need to replace wooden bench seats - what to use?

You can go with pine.... nice clear shelf stuff. If you want strength you can laminate plywood under it or bracing in the center.

Does your boat have the aluminum boxes mounted to the seats too? It may be time to upgrade the flotation too..... I have a 63 14'r and it has bench seats.

DSCN5519.jpg

larry.jensen

Recruit

I just replaced the wood seats in an old Cresliner 14' aluminum boat. I used std. 2x12 fir lumber. Found some nice straight boards with tight knots, stained them with walnut oil stain and added 3 coats of marine polyurethane. Looks good. Lots stronger than the old redwood (rotten) 1x12s.

dancw77

Cadet

You can go with pine.... nice clear shelf stuff. If you want strength you can laminate plywood under it or bracing in the center.

Does your boat have the aluminum boxes mounted to the seats too? It may be time to upgrade the flotation too..... I have a 63 14'r and it has bench seats.

yes, it appears to be the same exact boat, with the same boxes mounted under the seats. what do you recommend in terms of upgrading the flotation? this is my first boat. sorry, i'm still learning.

if i go with something simple like pine, what should i treat it with? stain it then use a product like thompson's?

Bob_VT

Staff member

You can use many things to seal the wood...... I would strongly advise that you use fiberglass and resin on the bottom and you can use spar marine varnish on the top. Just check the flotation and see if it okay or if it has absorbed water. Usually uou can trim away the stuff that has spoiled and fill the gaps with pink board glued to the old stuff with gorilla glue.

Make sure if you replace any of the srews or bolts that you use stainless steel........ my seats are original and they were painted. I sanded off the chipping paint and varnished them.

I also replaced the transom wood, used gluvit on the rivets and painted..... it flies with the 18 and is rated for 20 hp

before

DSCN5137.jpg

after

DSCN5523.jpg

Bob_VT

Staff member

Check under the transom cap too :eek: This is what the transom board looked like when I removed it.

DSCN5148.jpg

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used yellow pine stair tread for my seats, holds up well.:)