• Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

Starcraft on the water!! Congrats lake!!:D:D

Thanks for letting me ride along with ya buddy. Maybe I can return the favor:)

Thanks. Make your way toward NY, we'll have our race! You won't be far behind, you're practically there now!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats LL!!! Taking a maiden voyage is good way to make a Friday a GREAT day. I'll even throw in a few :D:D:D:D:D:D for ya.

Looks like it runs as good as it looks, I'm sure all that worrying melted quickly away as you left the dock.

The higher pitched scream when it hits limit sounded pretty normal for the tilt pump. The initial creaking sounds like a dry bushing, is the ticking coming from the pump or the same place as the creaking?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My trim motor "screams" when it hits its bottom end also. Wouldn't worry.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Congrats LL!!! Taking a maiden voyage is good way to make a Friday a GREAT day. I'll even throw in a few :D:D:D:D:D:D for ya.

Looks like it runs as good as it looks, I'm sure all that worrying melted quickly away as you left the dock.

The higher pitched scream when it hits limit sounded pretty normal for the tilt pump. The initial creaking sounds like a dry bushing, is the ticking coming from the pump or the same place as the creaking?

Thanks TDF...I had three stages of relief. When it started on the first crank, when we pulled away and it idled smooth, and when it was smooth accelerating. After that, WOT was just plain FUN.

I think the ticking/creaking are from the same area, it does sound like you'd expect something dry to sound that needs a little lube or something.

You & EZ confirm the normalcy of "the scream", all news to me, I always had to do my own maual motor tilting up til now!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Just watched all the vid's....AWESOME!!! Very Happy for you. I bet that's a 40mph boat, looked like you were really flying. Great motivation....I'll be watching those all winter!

Going to take it out again before winter?

parrisw

Ensign

Now a couple questions...

First: Here's a video of my trim/tilt motor; most interested in what you think of the sounds it makes. (Again, sorry for the wind noise). It didn't always make the rhythimc thunking as it operated. And is that short scream at the end normal when it hits its limit?

Now a confession...the dang thing leaks, but I suppose it's not bad. The dang bilge pump keeps blowing fuses. I've replaced the fuse and tried it at home and it worked OK. Got to the lake and didn't work, so again changed fuse when I got home and it blew immediately, as it has sometimes, but not always, done before. I'm not sure exactly what size fuse to put in there, I have the 3 amp ones keep blowing.

We were on the water about 2 hours and here's what collected, not bad I suppose, but I had a little more faith in the two coats of Gluvit.

This is back home with the bow full up: Maybe a gallon or a little more.

wDSC_5424.jpg

Congrats on the splash!!!

Your pump hose looks restricted. You need to get a proper bilge pump hose, that wont kink collapse like that. Maybe the kinked hose is causing the pump to strain drawing excess amps and blowing the fuse, I'd think at a min a 5a fuse would be fine, 3a sounds a little low to me.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Just watched all the vid's....AWESOME!!! Very Happy for you. I bet that's a 40mph boat, looked like you were really flying. Great motivation....I'll be watching those all winter!

Going to take it out again before winter?

Thanks, Dave. I want to believe it's 40 but don't have GPS, might be close. I'll probably gain 2-3 mph when I put the black rubrail in :D.

I don't think I'll have it out again before spring. We would have stayed out longer today but were driven in by hunger & hypothermia. I finally feel warm tonight.

We were out about 2 hrs. & burned about 2.5-3 gallons of gas I would guess. I'm real pleased with the operation of the oil injection, it worked great.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Congrats on the splash!!!

Your pump hose looks restricted. You need to get a proper bilge pump hose, that wont kink collapse like that. Maybe the kinked hose is causing the pump to strain drawing excess amps and blowing the fuse, I'd think at a min a 5a fuse would be fine, 3a sounds a little low to me.

Thanks parrisw, we had a blast!

...Yeah, I know that's the wrong hose, I realized it as soon as I put it in and it never lost its packaging kinks. It doesn't have a chance to strain the pump, the fuse blows as soon as I hit the switch. I was thinking I'd try 5 amp fuses & get some reinforced hose.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very nice lakelover, it makes me want to rip into mine right now, but maybe I'll take it over another time just to run all the fuel out :D.

The Rule 800 gph pump calls for a 5 amp fuse with 16 ga wire. I'm assuming that all your switches and connections are new and clean. I would replace that hose and bump it up to a 7 or 10 amp fuse then run it at home in some water to see what it does.

The 50 sounds like it's wound just a tad tight, but that's not terrible. I'd rather see my motor at 6k WOT than 5K. Boats tend to get more stuff put on board, not less. If you will run it that heavy, or heavier, a lot of the time I'd leave it alone. If that is a big load then you could go ahead and bump it up a couple of inches on the prop. What prop are you running, I think I have a 15 here you could try. I had a 50hp Johnny on my pontoon before and have a 55 now. The 50 and 55 take the same props as your 50. The little twins do tend to idle rough once in a while and the Sea Foam will usually smooth them out.

Congats on a beautiful resto and a fine running little Starcraft. I think you might need to move the seats back some, it looks like the 6 footers will be bouncing their knees of that pretty dash.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks, lmuss & for all that info.

All the wiring is new, 16 ga. on the pump. Pursuing this little problem is on my list. This is a small pump, 360 gph. I just found the package and it says it requires a 2.5 amp fuse! I've watched new fuses while I hit the switch and they just burn up instantly. But sometimes they don't.

Thanks for the prop offer, right now I have a 12-1/4 x 15 on there.

And you're right, my son said his legs were stiff last night! I did make more leg room by eliminating the small under-bow front deck and dash tray.

dozerII

Admiral

Great Job Lake, like everyone else has said, awsome job on the restore and nice to see her on the water. The only thing on the water here is the ducks and geese standing on the ice wondering the the !#$& on there way south.
Glen

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks, Glen. Sorry you've already got your ice, but I guess you're used to it!!! We did spook a few geese yesterday!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Got to watch the vids - finally, LL That purty gal dodged all the skiers and tubers with ease. LOL Nice looking on the water. I wonder if the bilge pump motor isn't sealed well? If you can pull it easily, dunk it in a bucket of water and try it. Just a thought since it was working ok dry.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks GA_, glad you enjoyed the vids. Guess what I dreamed about all night?

Getting a little frustrated with this bilge pump. :rolleyes: I put in a 5A fuse and tried it, turned on OK several times. Then I dumped water in the back and ran it to empty the bilge & it worked fine. Repeated the same thing. Worked great. Then I messed around in the shed for 15-20 minutes & greased some fittings on the motor.

My son happened along and asked me when the bilge pump would be fixed and I said it was, try it out. So he pours water in and hits the switch---nothing. I got under the dash & changed fuses and had him hit it again and the fuse fried instantly.

I'm beginning to wonder about the switch or the pump, since nothing was changed or disturbed after the first successful test. Little stuff like this,,,,grrr.:facepalm:

GA_Boater

I think the pump is bad. Water is getting into the motor and cooking the fuse. Dries out some and works for awhile until it gets wet again. Seems to be troublesome only when the pump gets wet, is that right?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Good theory but not really, because today was the first time I've had it wet for a test. The same thing was happening before, I'd test it and it would work, next time nothing. I wonder if it's the switch. I guess next time I get at it, I'll bypass the switch & see if that helps.
:confused::confused::confused:

GA_Boater

I'm with you :confused::confused::confused:

GA_Boater

Hey, Lake. When you get on it again, run two wires from the battery to the pump, fused on the + side and try it. That will eliminate the wiring and switch.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Hey, Lake. When you get on it again, run two wires from the battery to the pump, fused on the + side and try it. That will eliminate the wiring and switch.

Will do on that.

Ticking problem solved after I greased the 2 zerk fittings on the front and ran it up & down a few times. It also runs a little faster now that it's lubed up.

Another ?? on the tilt/trim pump - I'm going to check the fluid level & the manual says I can use "Dexron 2 Power Steering Fluid", but I'm seeing that's obsolete and hard to find. What do you guys put in your pumps when needed?