Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

bananaboater

Ensign
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

Looks like we are going to have similar color schemes, red, gray and white. I went with the same model, Wise Deluxe, but mine have a different arrangement of color. I went with a bench seat for the back. BUT if I had seen these it would have been a bidding war. Good work. :)

Being in Mississippi I have a bit longer warmer time to work in the garage before it gets too cold but I have to get to it SOON. Heading to eastern TN for an Antique boat/motor show Saturday. Not taking the Jet but want to see what goes on at one, never been. And my favorite (current) boat style, Feather Craft is supposed to be well represented.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Cool seats! I also found the Wise brand seats to be awful hard...I dont have too much "junk in the trunk" so a soft seat is what I prefer....

I sat on about 15 differents ones at a Basspro shop...all were hard and dug into the shoulder blades...
the best ones ran over a $100....DOh
so much for budget! lol

either way those seats will look AWSOME in your little Starcraft!
sorry you have to put her away for the winter :-(

Vegas

lakelover

Rear Admiral

oops-duplicate post. I screwed up trying to use the multiple quote thingey.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Heading to eastern TN for an Antique boat/motor show Saturday. Not taking the Jet but want to see what goes on at one, never been. And my favorite (current) boat style, Feather Craft is supposed to be well represented.

Have a great time at that boat show, looks like fun. Take some pics to post for us!:D

Cool seats! I also found the Wise brand seats to be awful hard...I dont have too much "junk in the trunk" so a soft seat is what I prefer....

I sat on about 15 differents ones at a Basspro shop...all were hard and dug into the shoulder blades...
the best ones ran over a $100....DOh
so much for budget! lol

either way those seats will look AWSOME in your little Starcraft!
sorry you have to put her away for the winter :-(

Vegas

They are a little hard but I figure for that price, I can live with it. I'm hoping they'll break in a little with some use.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

14ft Starcraft Falcon I presume! I had a new one in 1968 which came with black seats and Burgundy and black speckled vinyl floor. I had a rebuilt Mark 58A on it and would run 44mph. Back then I was racing and had bronze props built and had a special prop on my Mark. Great boats!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

14ft Starcraft Falcon I presume! I had a new one in 1968 which came with black seats and Burgundy and black speckled vinyl floor. I had a rebuilt Mark 58A on it and would run 44mph. Back then I was racing and had bronze props built and had a special prop on my Mark. Great boats!

Your post made me start daydreaming of next year already and wondering what sort of speed I'll be able get out of her with that Johnson 50. It's a fairly light hull at 415 lbs. according to the brochure posted on a previous page. I can get 29 mph out of my SF14 utility (225 lb hull) with a 20 Merc with just me & the basics aboard.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I can't take it! I feel like I'm in hibernation. We had a few flakes of snow today. I've asked for a heated garage for Xmas, but it ain't gonna happen!

w-DSC_2322.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Spring is finally reaching NY! Last weekend I dragged the boat to my working area and got the transom wood out in about 10 minutes by pounding on the bottom of it with a hammer. Last year I fought for hours with it and it wouldn't budge, but I guess sitting dry under a tarp all winter shrunk it a little.

w-DSC_2461.jpg

So I'm going on with my plan of replacing the transom, increasing the height to accommodate my 20" shaft Johnson and and using the old wood for a template, extending the top dimension up 4". Which brings me to a question...

I measured what the transom height will be (exactly 20"); then measured the motor from bottom of the clamp to the cavitation plate and it is 19", which will put the plate 1" above the keel line. I think I've read on here that 1" above the line is generally about the perfect height?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Depends on the boat I suppose. I, like you, have read even to about an inch above. Glad to see you back on it.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

A little progress today...

Finally time and good weather came together today. I traced my new transom board onto 3/4 exterior plywood using the template I made from the old piece, and adding 4" to the height; cut the pieces out and glued them together with Gorilla glue & clamped and screwed together with 1 1/4" SS screws. This was the first time I used gorilla glue and I was a little surprised at how little it foamed out around the edges while it cured so I hope I used enough. I wondered if I'd applied enough, but the bottle says to use about 1/2 ounce per square foot and that's just about what I used, maybe a little less.

Dry fit before gluing... a perfect fit:
w-DSC_2482.jpg

ACX exterior from Lowe's, Gorilla glue & SS screws:
w-DSC_2483.jpg

Another check after gluing:
w-DSC_2484.jpg

w-DSC_2485.jpg

I had some time left, so I removed the dashboard tray and filled the holes in the dashboard with pieces of dowel glued in with carpenter's glue. For the bigger speedometer hole, I screwed a small backer board to the back of the dashboard and then glued in a piece of plywood I cut out with a jig saw. All the pieces are countersunk almost 1/8" and I'm thinking of leveling it up with Marine Tex. I had originally planned to replace the dashboard, but it turned out that removing the original was deeper than I wanted to go, so I'll level it out and put some vinyl on instead. At this point, all I plan to put in the dashboard is a switch for the lights and a 12v power outlet for a hand held spotlight.

w-DSC_2486.jpg

Progress is spotty, but I'm still at it!

Huron Angler

Admiral

The new transom looks great so far, it will give the boat a distinct look as well:)

Nice work.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

After the nightmare I endured removing my dash...I don't blame you a bit lol
Good to see some progress again!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

After the nightmare I endured removing my dash...I don't blame you a bit lol
Good to see some progress again!

I've been checking out your thread & use it as a sort of reference, lots of good tips you've got in there!

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

I've been checking out your thread & use it as a sort of reference, lots of good tips you've got in there!

Why thankyou LL, but the great guys here deserve all the credit...I would be lost without the generosity here at iboats...

Looking forward to watching your progress!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I don't know how often you restoration folks visit the Trailers and Towing board, but I wanted to refer you to my post over there and get your opinions on options for my trailer.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=392506

lakelover

Rear Admiral

My thread goes up & down like a yo-yo. Seems I work on stuff in small spurts, but life's busy. Gives me lots of time to consider my next move.;)

I got all the bolt holes & drain tube holes drilled, did another trial fit and all lined up perfectly. How could I get so lucky? It helped that I drilled the holes on a drill press so that kept everything perpendicular. That's JB Weld over the countersunk SS screw heads.

w-DSC_2509.jpg

I also got a bunch of contact cement residue off the dashboard tray using paint stripper & polished it up steel wool. It's pretty beat up so I plan to cover it with vinyl, along with the dash. Ordered an orbital sander from Harbor Freight for $20 in anticipation of painting prep.

I've also been thinking about rigging up the Johnson so I can collect what I need. I don't really know what I'm doing there and have a question posted over in Johnson/Evinrude Repair. When I bought the 50, all it came with was the steering link that the steering cable hooks to, but no oil tank, controls, harness etc. Need to do further research on that one.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I worked all day today. It seems the small stuff takes up a lot of time. (I'll post a few photos later) I worked on patching a lot of holes in the deck that I won't need any more, measured and fitted for the seats, and new rack steering. Here's where I ran into a problem, that might not be a big deal but wanted to tap you for ideas.

The rack & cable are going to fit, but with the dash tray, that I was hoping to reinstall and keep to use, there's not going to be enough clearance for the steering wheel. I'd need about 2" more on the shaft length.

I could go without the tray and it wouldn't be that big a deal, but it would be nice to have somewhere handy to set soda, beer, sunglasses and misc. pocket stuff.

Any thoughts?

wDSC_2539.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I had the same problem. I ordered the teleflex wedge kit to angle the helm up higher which solved it for me.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I had the same problem. I ordered the teleflex wedge kit to angle the helm up higher which solved it for me.

Using the 20 degree spacer will only give me about 1/4 - 1/2" clearance, not sure if that will be enough bouncing around on the waves...

Edit: I didn't take into account whatever thickness the two angle plates have, so maybe I'll go ahead and try it, might get me up to 3/4".