• Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

An extra trailer ?? Looks like a nice deal and even has the nice side rollers. Good score!

gallega

Recruit

To LakeLover,
Last year I aquired a Starcraft, 15 alum., boat, and trailer. The boat came with aprox., 100 pounds of rotted leaves, a few empty beer bottles, broken lawn chair, throw rug, 10" hornets nest, yellow and broken windshield.The motor was toast, so I did not get it with the deal. The seats were missing.
The floor boards were removed with our hands, they were completly rotted, by your photos, I believe that they were factory. The transom, top half was completly rotted, removed with our hands and a wood chisel. Bottom half of transom, I think that it was a two piece transom, was cut in half with a woodchisel, then pried out with a crow bar.
Ounce all the "junk" was removed, the boat looks to be in good condition, we put it in the water, did not see any major leaks.
I have been trying to find out more about the boat, when I came acrost the iboat web site, wow, that looks like my boat! I do believe that it is a 1964 model, by your pictures, and a Starcraft catalog on iboats web site.
I have replaced the transom with, pressure treated, 4/4" plywood, back to back, coated with Coupernal. I am 71, so if it last 10 years, I've got my money back.
I traded $175 dollars worth of fishing eqm., for the boat, I'm hoping that I got a good deal, we will see!
How is your boat coming, I would like to see pictures of it.
John L.

Bob_VT

Staff member

This quest was the result of responses to another thread I started in the Trailers & Towing section http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=392506. People told me what I sort of already knew.

Wow..... now I see :) Yes, that old trailer looks frightening....... I am glad you have a new addition.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I am 71, so if it last 10 years, I've got my money back.
I traded $175 dollars worth of fishing eqm., for the boat, I'm hoping that I got a good deal, we will see!
How is your boat coming, I would like to see pictures of it.
John L.

For $175 in trade, I'd say you got a deal! I'm still plugging away on mine, right now doing a lot of sanding in order to paint, so not much to see in the way of pictures. Hope you post some pics of yours.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Wow..... now I see :) Yes, that old trailer looks frightening....... I am glad you have a new addition.

I saw that the "new" trailer was bent when I bought it, but still thought it was a good deal judging by all the others I looked into, and their prices. I'm going to take it to a body shop and see if they can straighten it.

Another related thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=303991 , might be helpful to somone in the throes of renovation.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I've been sanding lately, after patching with JB Weld. So far I've been using 150 grit sandpaper & an orbital sander. Once I've done the once-over, should I go over all again with a finer grit? Which?

This is my first time doing this. My ultimate goal is to paint with Pettit Easypoxy. I don't plan to strip to bare metal, just paint over the existing paint where it is sound, and re-prime where I've gone down to bare metal. I know the point is to get everything as smooth as possible, & use etching primer on the bare spots. I guess I would just prime over everything once the surface is all prepared & cleaned, then apply paint? I haven't checked the specifics for the Easypoxy yet but will follow their recommendation.

Besides lots of holes drilled by PO, I've found a fair amount of small chips in the paint, & some small pitted spots under the paint too.

wDSC_2658.jpg

wDSC_2655.jpg

Any advice?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Prime. Easypoxy hides NOTHING. Had a scratch before? You'll still see it. Plus I'm having serious adhesion issues on my boat right now. The paint is flaking off real bad on the bottom and it's only been in the water 3 times. I thought I did a pretty darn thorough scuff job on the existing paint job. I'm not ready to flat out recommend against the product yet but I WILL recommend priming and I'd probably go with their primer to be safe.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Prime. Easypoxy hides NOTHING. Had a scratch before? You'll still see it. Plus I'm having serious adhesion issues on my boat right now. The paint is flaking off real bad on the bottom and it's only been in the water 3 times. I thought I did a pretty darn thorough scuff job on the existing paint job. I'm not ready to flat out recommend against the product yet but I WILL recommend priming and I'd probably go with their primer to be safe.

Good to have that info, I'm not completely settled on the Easypoxy yet, just have read lots of recommendations for it in the forum. Bears further research. Thanks.

Did you prime over the scuffed paint?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I didn't prime. I think that may have been the problem. My existing paint job was in great physical condition so I though I could just thoroughly scuff it and top coat. I did spot prime some bare aluminum with etching primer.

bananaboater

Ensign

That 150 grit will leave fine scratches that could be seen in the new paint. EZs note about seeing scratches after he painted is disturbing. But I did not paint mine so............

lakelover

Rear Admiral

That 150 grit will leave fine scratches that could be seen in the new paint. EZs note about seeing scratches after he painted is disturbing. But I did not paint mine so............

Once I'm done with the 150, I thought I'd go over again with 250, or should it be even finer? That's the sort of thing I'm hoping somebody can guide me on.

I've been reading up on Easypoxy and Interlux Brightside today and whichever I choose, I'll definitely use their same brand primer after sanding. One of my concerns is that I will have to paint outside, I don't have a garage or shelter to work in. I guess ya gotta do what you can do.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Sanding-sanding-sanding...How much is enough? Is the goal to get all these layers feathered, with no visible "sharp" edges? I have lots of layers, and where the paint is sound, I'm just roughing it up, but a lot of places require going down to the bare aluminum.

The layers from top to bottom are burgundy, gray, orange, red, aluminum, the red being the original paint (you also see some gray JB Weld in this photo). I want it to look good in the end, but never having done this before, I don't want to be obsessive either.

If all the edges end up smooth and diffuse-looking after the final sanding, then I use a high build primer before the paint, will it look fairly smooth, or will it still look like a map of Gilligan's Island through the paint?:p The boundaries between the red and orange don't look smooth here, but feel very smooth. It's almost impossible to get them to not look streaky. So far this is with 150 grit.

w-DSC_2659a.jpg

w-DSC_2659a2.jpg

Bob_VT

Staff member

The quickest way to tell if you have sanded enough is to test it with some black spray paint. One coat which you will end up sanding off again anyway but it is a good way to tell. Black shows everything.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the tip, it's good to know, I'll give that a try to see how it's coming along. I've made good progress on the top deck and gunwales, the big job will be the hull.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Spent more time sanding today on the interior. I'm thinking that the time is coming to do the interior painting, and I've bought Rustoleum Marine topside paint and primer to do the job. I have the anti-slip that I'm going to add when I do the plywood on the floor. I opened a can of the "battleship gray" paint tonight and the color looks good.

Is there any way to reduce the gloss of the paint?

I don't want to add anti-slip to the vertical sides, but wonder if the gloss finish will reflect too much sun.

Here's a tip on the paint: If nobody near you carries the Rustoleum Marine, I went to the DoItBest.com website and ordered it on line. If you have an affiliated Do It Best hardware store near you (you can find out right there on the website), you can get the paint shipped there for free, and they'll call you when it comes in. Prices are pretty good too.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Trust me you have had a better day then me..... at least you are making progress

-DannyBoy-

Seaman

Great work on the boat!! I'm pretty positive I was just donated an exact twin of your boat. It's in much worse condition than yours was originally, as far as I can tell, but I'm excited to dig in. I've only ever done custom layouts in flatbottoms for restoration and plan on doing so with my new ride as well. Threads like this are a big help, thanks!! It has an OLD chrysler 45 sitting on it that I know nothing about (whether it runs or not) and also comes with an older Chrysler 65 that was just refurbed, but after reading your thread I'm guessing it's too big??? I'll get some pics up as soon as I get a chance, maybe your guys could help me with a positive I.D. The only way I even know it's a Starcraft is by looking at the very deteriorated rubber step-pads on the side.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Hi DannyBoy,

Welcome to the forum, I think if you start a thread and put some pictures on, you can get help to ID the model of your Starcraft. Mine is Jet Star; bananaboater has a Jet http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338523&highlight=Time, and there are a few others around. Also check out: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=349830.

If it is a Jet or Jet Star, a 65 is probably too much.

Good luck & looking forward to some pictures.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I spent some time sanding the interior and after two days, my lungs aren't right yet.

I heard others say it, but now I believe it & I'm passing it on, if you're going to sand using a palm sander, at least wear a mask of some sort. I've felt like crap for two days, slowly getting better. I figured since I was outdoors, and wind would carry away the dust, but not enough. I also wasn't using the dust catcher because I was doing some tight spots.

I applied Gluvit last summer, and noticed that toward the back of the boat, where the tarp doesn't quite cover, the UV that did manage to get in has affected the Gluvit because I hadn't painted it yet. Some spots are cracking and peeling up. My next step will be to rough up the surface of it with a Scotch pad and chip away the damaged parts, then apply a second coat all around.

After that, I'll rough up the second coat and prime, using etching primer on the bare spots and then Rustoleum Metal Primer all around. Then paint and get the floor in. After that I'll continue on the exterior prep.

As someone else mentioned before, I found some etching primer for metal spray for about $10 at NAPA.

w-primer_2671a.jpg