Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

Go for it Lake, looks like you will be the one, we can walk on the ice close to shore here so I will have to wait till spring, RATS.
Glen

Guess you're in for the long haul already, I feel for ya!

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fingers crossed for ya', lake! Is it 10 yet?

bananaboater

Ensign

And...And???

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

On splash days, no news is good news.....unless it sank.:D Just kidding.

Hope all is going well.....

lakelover

Rear Admiral

SPLASH = YES!!!

This thing Hauls A**!

YAA-HOO!!! That 50 is smooth as silk!!! Really relieved. OK, I'll go right the the videos cuz I know you guys have been holding your breath so you'll get your fix. Then I'll go to stills, then bore you with my questions. Sorry for all the wind noise in a couple of them, camera mic is horrible in wind.

First one: Being careful and sane at first:

Second one: Starts out with gradual accel, then slow down, then hole shot.

Third one: Here's part of the ride. I was a little concerned that at WOT rev's were up to 6000, then a little more after trimming out a little, you can hear when I mess with the trim. Specs say WOT range is 4500-5500 rpm. What do you think about that? Wind noise in this one is horrible!

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on the splash, lake! Glad to hear no issues other than the RPM issue. Maybe a different pitched prop is in order.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks fantastic out on the water. Motor sounds like it's purring right along. Is the idle a little rough though? If you were more lightly loaded than you would be typically then you may leave it alone and see what your RPM is with a heavier load. If you were "typically" loaded, you may want to go up a pitch. Your hole shot would be ridiculous then! and your RPM would drop to where it needs to me. Congrats, looks and runs great.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

A few stills now...

In the driveway ready for the "big adventure":

wDSC_5390a.jpg

At the launch, a level shot of the trailer:

wDSC_5403.jpg

This launch wasn't too graceful, I have some tweaking to do. With the cold water, I didn't want to get wet! Could have backed down further, next time will do that & give a tug from the side with a rope.

wDSC_5414.jpg

First float:

wDSC_5415.jpg

A couple wake shots:

wDSC_5422.jpg

wDSC_5418.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Glad to see it got wet after all the delays, Lake. Still waiting for the vids to load, but she looks great. :D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

And a little side-splash:

wDSC_5423.jpg

A couple questions to follow....stay tuned!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks erwinner, EZ & GA_.....

EZ, I figure I was maybe a little heavier than I'd normally be actually, had extra tools (lots) & gas. At 6000 it didn't sound like it was screaming or anything, but I feel it might be a little too much, maybe should change the pitch as suggested. She corners great, no vid of that, but handles great, no ventilation etc. A very stable boat.

hidef

Lieutenant

She sounds good, nice job. I would go up 2 inches in pitch that should lower your RPMs by 300 if you go up 4 inches that would drop your RPMs by 600 however she would be slower out of the hole and not as responsive with a full load. Did you check your speed with GPS? My Jetstar does about 34 with the 35 fully trimmed out with a 15" prop I figure you must have been doing around 36 or 37 if not faster.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

She sounds good, nice job. I would go up 2 inches in pitch that should lower your RPMs by 300 if you go up 4 inches that would drop your RPMs by 600 however she would be slower out of the hole and not as responsive with a full load. Did you check your speed with GPS? My Jetstar does about 34 with the 35 fully trimmed out with a 15" prop I figure you must have been doing around 36 or 37 if not faster.

Thanks... No, I didn't have any GPS available. Maybe should put on my Xmas list, yes? I'd like to know that number. Thanks for the specific info. That was with my son and myself (he's "large", 6'6" 200+ lbs), I could sometimes have 4 passengers total, but more likely just me or with one other person.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Now a couple questions...

First: Here's a video of my trim/tilt motor; most interested in what you think of the sounds it makes. (Again, sorry for the wind noise). It didn't always make the rhythmic thunking as it operated. And is that short scream at the end normal when it hits its limit?

Now a confession...the dang thing leaks, but I suppose it's not bad. The dang bilge pump keeps blowing fuses. I've replaced the fuse and tried it at home and it worked OK. Got to the lake and didn't work, so again changed fuse when I got home and it blew immediately, as it has sometimes, but not always, done before. I'm not sure exactly what size fuse to put in there, I have the 3 amp ones keep blowing.

We were on the water about 2 hours and here's what collected, not bad I suppose, but I had a little more faith in the two coats of Gluvit.

This is back home with the bow full up: Maybe a gallon or a little more.

wDSC_5424.jpg

A few days later while I was crawling around doing a little work on the trailer, I took the tube of 5200 under with me and smeared it around several suspect rivets. I'll have to wait until next summer to see if that helped. It'll be good and cured by then!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Is the idle a little rough though?

Yeah, maybe a little, but overall I was impressed with how well it ran. Maybe running a little snake oil (Sea Foam) thru it will smooth it out a little.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Congrats LL!!!! I'm slow and Jealous!!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Starcraft on the water!! Congrats lake!!:D:D

Thanks for letting me ride along with ya buddy. Maybe I can return the favor:)