• Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

Thanks, guys.

Vegas, looks like your plan would make a good solid transom, but as you say, no room on my boat. My original plan was to get that wood out and make a new piece that went straight across the top, but that piece is really in there. (BTW, what software did you use for your neat graphics? I'd like to be able to do something nicer than my "pencil and paper" software I used but without spending a whole lot of time on it. For me, when it comes to computers/time there gets to be a serious point of diminishing returns!))

My new piece would fit right in between the tops of the same heavy aluminum corner brackets that hold the transom & sides together, so it would have the same support on the ends as the bigger piece. Here's a shot showing the corner construction, good & hefty.

w-DSC_2171.jpg

Albert, the motor has no clamps, but bolts on with 4 bolts. I know the ends will be well supported so if I can make a good solid connection between the two pieces of wood, I think it will work.

I am only guessing at the number of lag screws I would need, I don't know how an engineer who actually knows something about the forces involved would see it.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I know I'm jumping around here but when I get to removing the old paint--

The hull has the original factory paint, then primer, then a layer of sprayed on paint of some type-I wonder if it's automotive, it's sort of a metal flake maroon color. I get the idea of the later sanding stages, but for the first main removal, what's the best & most cost-effective way to get going? I've thought about stripper, but is that the best/quickest way to get on with it?

Here's what I have:
w2-oldpaint_2185.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Soda blasting is the absolute best way to remove paint on aluminum, then just wash away the dust. Aircraft stripper is also good, but it may take more than one application

bananaboater

Ensign

Weird, your boat is painted with almost the same metallic maroon as mine. As far as I can tell mine has been repainted only once, the metallic over the fire engine red. The interior I am almost positive is original and the exteriors may be. There is a lot of over spray under the brackets and under the gunnels.

The airplane stripper sounds great if you have $300 to buy it. Not this restorer.

Albert

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Weird, your boat is painted with almost the same metallic maroon as mine. As far as I can tell mine has been repainted only once, the metallic over the fire engine red. The interior I am almost positive is original and the exteriors may be. There is a lot of over spray under the brackets and under the gunnels.

Albert

I just looked over your album on Photobucket. Yours was in a lot better shape when you bought it than mine was. I've found lots of overspray and my interior has been brush painted an ugly green.

I noticed on your new seatboards that you attached a piece of angle iron (aluminum?) along the underside. Does that provide sufficient rigidity to prevent sagging when people sit on it? I was thinking of putting a support going down to the floor in the center, but your way looks simpler. What kind of wood did you use?

I've been looking up soda blasting that wrfalpacas mentioned above but it seems quite uncommon locally, I don't see anyone that offers it or rents equipment. Would be nice if you could just go to the local rent-all and rent a unit, it sure is a fast method. I'm looking for a quick & relatively cheap way to get the bulk of the paint off.

On the transom, I've decided to go ahead with my plan to add height to what I already have there.

Do you have a shot of your bow light you could post, I'm trying to see if mine is OEM.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Another Starcraft member used a stripper on his boat and it worked awesome I just found the info in his thread for you:

The stripper that i used is:

BIX TUFF-JOB REMOVER.

I bought it at home depot. It is a great product. It is made for Aircraft-Auto-Epoxy-Marine.... I will swear by this stuff till the day i die. Here is the bix website.

http://www.bixmfg.com/

listed under removers.. Good luck...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=298292

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Another Starcraft member used a stripper on his boat and it worked awesome I just found the info in his thread for you:

The stripper that i used is:

BIX TUFF-JOB REMOVER......

Thanks a lot. I'm having fun with this project but it's more involved than I first anticipated. Ever heard that before??? But the more I research, the more I see that I can do. Part of it is that I always plan plan plan and then I finally get going, no matter what the project is! I need to know where I'm going!:)

bananaboater

Ensign

"I noticed on your new seatboards that you attached a piece of angle iron (aluminum?) along the underside. Does that provide sufficient rigidity to prevent sagging when people sit on it? I was thinking of putting a support going down to the floor in the center, but your way looks simpler. What kind of wood did you use?"

I believe the aluminum will suffice. The span is only about 4.5 feet. It was probably not necessary but I did it partly because the original had galvanized angle brackets on both front and back edges that were faced with wood so the original vinyl covering could be stapled on. See pics of both original and new seat boards at my phtobckt. The rear (dark one) is orig and new (lighter) front. Keeping the rear and replacing the angle bracket that is missing.

I used poplar, a 1X8 that I biscuit joined to get the 14 inch wide board. I did not want the telltale signs of plywood edges. I considered using plywood with glued on edges to mask the plys but went with solid wood.

The poplar is generally available at HD or LWS.

I expected to begin epoxying my flooring today but Labor Day will delay the MAS epoxy delivery. They deserve the day off just like I did before retiring.

Keep up the good work, Albert:)

bananaboater

Ensign

First time I am trying to drag and drop a pic to this system If it does not work I will send a resized thumbnail or if you give me some time I will post these to my pbucket site. I assume most of these deck items are original. I have seen the spotlight on several other Jets. The horn may be different, there are extra holes in the deck where it is mounted.

/Users/bananamac/Pictures/JET/IMG_0693.JPG

/Users/bananamac/Pictures/JET/IMG_0694.JPG

bananaboater

Ensign

Posted pics of bow light and other hardware.

Here is a site with lots of original brochures posted by Huron Angler (thanks:)) if you have not seen it yet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/starcraftbrochures/

They are long shots, no close ups but they may be of some help.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks for posting the pics and link to brochures. It looks like we have the same bow light but I noticed something bizarre...your green lens is on the port side, mine's on starboard.

w4-DSC_2189.jpg

:confused: Or is yours not green/red?

I didn't have a spotlight and had a different horn. Must have been added later because it was a pretty sloppy mounting job.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Lakelover
I used photoshop 7 to make the graphic and it isnt for the faint of heart, no it isnt fast either ! lol

yeah sorry it wouldnt work out, I tried! looks like that corner area on both sides ought to hold alot of strain. Should be good to go...as the motor pushes the boat etc....maybye use oak as the top transom board? or is that too brittle? I dunno much about boat building really as were just getting into it the last couple weeks!

Keep posting pics!!

yes Ive heard of BIX should work well, wear a respirator and use thick rubber gloves, and goggle...good stiff scrapers, have eyewash or saline solution nearby in case for stripper in eye.
If you're like me I get stuff in my eyes even with goggles on, I need to wear swimmers goggles apparently to keep out the wood chips, fiberglass and dust.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I've had Stripper in my eye before..wasn't thaaaaaaat bad.:D

but yes eye protection is a good idea..

bananaboater

Ensign

Your lenses are correct! Guess I will have to look into mine.

The red goes on the port side.

Albert

bertsbar

Recruit

I have a 61 15ft starcraft (blue & White) that looks like yours -- with a 35 Envinrude Bigtwin - looking to upgrad on the motor. I do not have the ID plate so not sure what the boat is rated to --- what is your boat rated to for motors?

Hi,
I have a 63 and it is rated for a 50 hp. Good luck with yours!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I have a 61 15ft starcraft (blue & White) that looks like yours -- with a 35 Envinrude Bigtwin - looking to upgrad on the motor. I do not have the ID plate so not sure what the boat is rated to --- what is your boat rated to for motors?

Hi, the plate rates it at 45 and the 1964 brochure says 50. A little discrepancy, but close enough I guess.;) What's left of my plate, more like a sticker:

w-cap-platefullsize.jpg

Lakelover is right... my 63 is rated for 45hp not 50hp:redface:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

New seats arrived today!

I picked these up new on ebay for $170 including shipping after exhaustive research basically trying to compare apples to oranges. They were well packaged. I unpacked them and gave them a good going over to make sure all was well. They are comfortable, if not just a bit harder than I expected, but that's better than sitting and squashing the foam down to the base. Overall quality looks very good, sturdy & well constructed etc. This was labeled as "Wise Deluxe" model, I but haven't been able to find any identical ones anywhere else.

With my color plan for a red exterior and gray interior, I think they'll look pretty good in the boat. In the meantime, this is the best I could do because the boat's all buttoned up for winter - ugh! So here they are in all their glory on my living room floor before I pack them back up and put them in the shed until Spring.

w-DSC_2296.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Those are some nice looking seats lakelover, good find