• Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

Hi lakelover,
Nice 64, I have almost the exact same boat!! 63 15' Jet. I'll be interested to see if you have the same stringer setup that I do. I don't have the flat floor either. It will be nice to follow your progress!

Hi,
Just wondering, did you replace your floor or is it original? Mine was just riveted to the aluminum "ribs".

lakelover

Rear Admiral

just curious, but what did you pay for that johnson? ive been seeing some newer ones on craigslist in upstate ny (plattsburgh-adirondacks) and vermont goint for over $2000... id like to drop some coin on one of those next year.

I got this at Lake George for $1800 via cragislist. Bare engine price, no oil tank, no controls, no gas tank, no harnesses. The seller wouldn't budge on the price. All they included was the steering arm link. Before looking at this one, I checked out a 48 Evinrude SPL listed for $1500. It was a '95 listed in Vermont.

Hi,
Just wondering, did you replace your floor or is it original? Mine was just riveted to the aluminum "ribs".

Hi lakelover, Hope you had a great vacation!! I think mine was original and riveted to the ribs. Was curious about that, if it was original or not. Mine is still bare ribs, check it out :D Have Fun! Al

Huron Angler

Admiral

Thanks.

Sorry I haven't checked in for so long but I've been on vacation for two weeks. I seem to be getting lots of recommendations to run with oil injection rather than premix and I'm wondering why it's leaning that way. Is it just personal preference or what? Those who recommend it always seem to mention the relative "newness" of the motor.

The advantage of running the VRO is that the mix will be perfect and constant and save oil for you- also less smoke, in addition to making life easier as you can fill the oil much less frequently and no mixing. The older(pre 1990) VROs had issues but your motor is very new and should be ultra smooth:D Great looking motor for that boat by the way.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The advantage of running the VRO is that the mix will be perfect and constant and save oil for you- also less smoke, in addition to making life easier as you can fill the oil much less frequently and no mixing. The older(pre 1990) VROs had issues but your motor is very new and should be ultra smooth:D Great looking motor for that boat by the way.

Well since I already bought a tank on ebay, I'll give it a try, you guys have convinced me. All the reports I've read of fried motors from their failure has me nervous though.

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

002.jpg

ROFL you should all get those hats for the starcrafters get together.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Henrye I just dont know that Kev would look right in a Giligan hat :D he has a head more like the Skippers :eek:.

Rick

bananaboater

Ensign

Seems like we might organize a TinStock just for Jet owners!

I've noticed a difference in mine and other jets of 1964.

On mine the transom is flat running from both corner braces. On the brochure and other pics of Jets I have seen there is a cut out. The brochure also says it takes a short shaft motor. Mine needs a long shaft motor and that is what is on it. All the aluminum on the stern looks original but inside the transom wood does not run all the way down to the cut outs of the 3 knee braces, it is about 3/4 inches short and my motor has a spacer raising it from the top of the transom so the bottom mounting bolts go through the wood.

Since my identity plate is missing I wonder if I have a newer model than 1964, and if was my transom board replaced.

Can the experts advise?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0564 copy.JPG
    IMG_0564 copy.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 2

Rickairmedic

Commander

Banana your right thts weird I dont think I have ever seen an outboard Starcraft with a transom that went straight across on the top and yet it looks at least in that pic like its factory. I wonder can you get some pictures closer in on the transom. Oh yeah theres still more Jupiters :p .

Rick

lakelover

Rear Admiral

On the brochure and other pics of Jets I have seen there is a cut out. The brochure also says it takes a short shaft motor. Mine needs a long shaft motor and that is what is on it. All the aluminum on the stern looks original but inside the transom wood does not run all the way down to the cut outs of the 3 knee braces, it is about 3/4 inches short and my motor has a spacer raising it from the top of the transom so the bottom mounting bolts go through the wood.

Mine does take a short shaft and had one on it (the original setup, I think) when I bought it. Since my new 50 is a long shaft, when I replace the transom, I'm going to extend it up and run the wood straight across, like yours is. My current transom wood has been replaced fairly recently, and will make a good template, as it was well done. I'm thinking of having an aluminum cap made at a local sheet metal shop.

Another difference I notice between mine and the brochure photo is that the lighting hardware is different, so mine must be non-stock.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Banana your right thts weird I dont think I have ever seen an outboard Starcraft with a transom that went straight across on the top and yet it looks at least in that pic like its factory. I wonder can you get some pictures closer in on the transom. Oh yeah theres still more Jupiters :p .

Rick

Ya cant swing a cat without hittin a Holiday! lol:D

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Morning Kev wheres the pics from yesterdays progress :p. We want pics before you wander off to Naaaaaaaaaawleens. :D

Rick

bananaboater

Ensign

Should I start a new thread regarding the unusual transom I have? Don't want to screw up lakelovers. But he might like to see mine since he is considering going to a similar transom. Here are some details. 614 is the gap between the bottom of the transom board and the cut out of the knees. 617 is a mysterious label mark that looks suspiciously like a Starcraft logo on the port side.

Maybe many of these ?s will be answered in June in person. I look forward to that gathering.

Albert

Attachments

• IMG_0612 copy.JPG
    IMG_0612 copy.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0615 copy.JPG
    IMG_0615 copy.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0614 copy.JPG
    IMG_0614 copy.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0616 copy.JPG
    IMG_0616 copy.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0617 copy.JPG
    IMG_0617 copy.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 2

bananaboater

Ensign

Forgot to ask lakelover to post detail pics of the transom replacement. Mine might be next this winter and I have seen some notes that that is not as simple as might be imagined.

Albert bananaboater

Rickairmedic

Commander

Albert I will have to admit that is really odd I have never seen a transom like that on a Starcraft and yet it deffinately looks factory . I almost wonder if your boat wasnt custom ordered like that you may have a really rare boat :D. Look in the Starcraft forum for a great tutorial I got Jimbc to write up in the tips and tricks section for removing the transom wood :D.

Rick

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Forgot to ask lakelover to post detail pics of the transom replacement. Mine might be next this winter and I have seen some notes that that is not as simple as might be imagined.

Albert bananaboater

Hi bananaboater,
Thanks for furthering the discussion. This is my first project, so I'm open to all the info I can get.

Here's a shot of the wood at the knee braces. I don't know how the original was, as I mentioned, this is a replacement.

w-DSC_2057kneebraces.jpg

Just fyi, here's a shot of the ext. of the transom. It looks as though I'll be able to go straight across without much modification, just replacing the cap with a straight one. I might have to cut a notch out of the corner caps, but don't know because I haven't done my detailed measurements yet. I'll be posting pictures of the work, I should be able to get started on that later this month.

w-DSC_2047transomext.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Lakelover I think that transom is extra strong with the three knees, can't wait to see it all reworked. You should have a real nice program with that Johnson 50 powering ya:)

What are you going to do with the seats? The originals are very similar to bass boat seats that have the flip down seat/step. Have you considered looking into those? I think they are a little pricey but would look nice and be practical.

She's going to look great when you're done.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Lakelover I think that transom is extra strong with the three knees, can't wait to see it all reworked. You should have a real nice program with that Johnson 50 powering ya:)

What are you going to do with the seats? The originals are very similar to bass boat seats that have the flip down seat/step. Have you considered looking into those? I think they are a little pricey but would look nice and be practical.

She's going to look great when you're done.

I'm not sure which seats you mean. I'm thinking of:
w-sm-grey-red_0.jpg

x4 or something similar, mounted back to back. Is this the sort you mean? Still time left, I'm still mulling over the seating.

Today I did measuring of the transom and made a template of the mounting holes on the motor bracket.

Huron Angler

Admiral

This is what I was referring to:

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/view/3/7/wd164_0035_2.jpg

The middle seat flips down and becomes a step for a walk-thru design. It's a good way of maximizing seating on a narrower boat. I'm looking at a 15' Holiday and considering this for seating because I would be putting a pedestal aft for fishing so I would not want the back-to-back style.

Not sure if that's what you would want. By the way this seat costs $568 thru iboats so it's WAY more than I'd want to spend anyway.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

This is what I was referring to:

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/view/3/7/wd164_0035_2.jpg

The middle seat flips down and becomes a step for a walk-thru design. It's a good way of maximizing seating on a narrower boat. I'm looking at a 15' Holiday and considering this for seating because I would be putting a pedestal aft for fishing so I would not want the back-to-back style.

Not sure if that's what you would want. By the way this seat costs $568 thru iboats so it's WAY more than I'd want to spend anyway.

Looks like a real nice design, I wish I could go for it at least for the front but it's beyond my budget! I guess by the time I get 4 of the single fold-downs, I'll be in the $500 range anyway. I paid $700 for the whole shebang and sold the West Bend for $350, so the seats would be worth more than the boat!

I anticipate my use being 2-4 people just cruising around, don't plan to fish or ski or tube. I was originally thinking lounge seats, but hit on this mounting idea using the original design of the boards and original brackets. It saves me raising to a flat floor to mount the lounges, I didn't want to be sitting that high. Once you get up to level you lose 5-6" and another 10" base height plus cushion. It will keep the center of gravity lower too. I want to feel like I'm sitting in the boat, not on top of it.