Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Just a thought

Just a thought

Since my dash logo idea from my earlier post #132 didn't work out, here's something simple I designed and I'm thinking of having a small metal plaque made to mount on the dash:

wJetStar.jpg

I've also been researching switches, and one thing I'll have to deal with later is modifications I'll have to make to the thicker dash to mount switches, most of which seem to have a max. mounting thickness of 15/32. I already have a switch for the lights, and the 12v outlet, and besides mounting the tach, which should be no problem, will have a bilge pump switch.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

Yesterday I ordered the tach/system check gauge, bilge pump & switch, and a piece of 1/4" thick white oak for the dash board lamination. The oak (1/4" x 7" wide x 5 feet long) was $2.58/ft; I don't have the shipping charges on it yet, they bill separately for that.

Today I worked more on getting the oxidation off the trim, and started cleaning up the white rub rail inserts. Once I found a good scrubbing combination for that, it worked a little better than I had hoped for. It's pretty grungy. I found that Soft Scrub and an SS pot scrubber works pretty well.

Had to quit for today, my arms are getting sore and my hands were freezing, it's windy and 44 here today. Yucch.

Before & after of the rub rail insert:

r-railBA.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey LL,

You really gotta bust out the power tools, dude!
Go to HF and buy one of these.
image_3709.jpg

It's like a Scotch brite pad for a Drill.

Then mix up a paste using some Sno-Bol Cleaner

and some Comet Cleanser. Brush it on your rub rail and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then get a Misting bottle of water and mist it down and go to town with the scrubbing ball and the drill. You will NOT belive how White that strip will get. I did this on my Windshield Base strip and it looks like new. It was 48 years Old. and as yellow as a Fidel Castros Cigar smokin teeth.

I'm just sayin...:D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Are you a salesman for HF :D? I tried a small area with the scotch pad, yup, by hand, and it wasn't abrasive enough. Maybe I'll go to HD or Lowe's to see what they've got. My trouble is, sometimes I don't plan ahead enough and when I want to go out and work on the boat, I don't want to mess around running to get stuff, so I use what I got on hand.

I'm really not Amish or anything (no disrespect intended), you are slowly convincing me to convert from elbow grease to electricity! Another convincer is the weather going down the tubes. I don't know how much more time I'll have before I have to give up for the season. I put a garage to work in on my wish list last Xmas, but it didn't happen.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I think mine has permanent mildew, all black stuff, no yellow to be seen. The windshield gasket is the same, like Wood mentioned. Not so much like Fidel, but more like
zombie.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just yankin yer chain, and No I could NOT afford to be a salesman for them. I would spend ALL my earnings buying all their stuff.:eek:
Try that sno-bol and Comet mixture it really makes it white!!!!!

I'm just sayin...:D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I am a big Comet fan, and I do have some toilet cleaner sitting under the sink.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ya know LL...I simply painted my dash wood with multiple coats of paint...
It has held up pretty well..Much better than my deck..

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I went that route with my seat boards & transom. I thought the dash would give me a chance to add a little elegance to an otherwise plain tub ;). It should be an interesting experiment anyway.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
WooHoo

WooHoo

My BRP tach/system check gauge arrived today and glad to see that it will easily mount in a dash up to 1-1/4" thick, so mine will be no problem.

My bilge pump should arrive tomorrow; and thanks to Woody for goading me :D into getting some polishing attachments for the drill from Harbor Freight. After my bursitis acted up (old fart) because of the hand polishing I've done so far, it will be well worth it since I haven't been able to work on the boat for two days. I also discovered today that we have a local HF store that I never knew about before, so that will come in handy.

My white oak for the dash should be arriving soon too.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Trailer questions

Trailer questions

I mentioned earlier that I picked up a trailer last spring, and that it was slightly bent, and posted in the Trailer section with a couple questions. I got a few straightening suggestions there.

w-type-DSC_2652.jpg

I just got back from a local body shop where I went to see if they could straighten it for me. They didn't really want to bother with the job, suggesting that it didn't look too serious and that I could probably bend it back enough using a 4x4 myself. After they explained it to me, it doesn't look too hard so I'll probably give it a try.

What concerned me more was that the guy said that he wouldn't put a 15' boat on it because of how small it is. I can't see his logic and wonder what you all think. I don't see any problem with the size.

I couldn't find any plate on the trailer but the registration says it's rated for 1500 lbs. My hull, according to specs, is 415 lbs. and the motor is 200. Even with any other equipment, I'd be well under the 1500.

I was a little concerned about the length at first, but here's what I have. I plan to move the winch post ahead 7 inches and when I do that it will give me a length from the bow stop to the back of the current bunks of 14'4". The actual boat length is 14'10" and my plan was to replace the bunks with carpeted 2x4's and extend them 8" or 10" so the transom will rest on them.

wDSC_2969.jpg

wDSC_2976.jpg

wDSC_2970.jpg

wDSC_2971.jpg

Do you see any problems with that plan?

Another bigger concern is that there are two cracks in the back corner, top and bottom of the channel. I want to have them re-welded, and with those mods, I should be good to go. Or if need be, have small triangular plates welded on top and bottom at the corner.

wDSC_2974r.jpg

What do you think?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'd really want to figure out where it was bent and do your best to get it back to straight if at all possible. If it pulls straight down the road, well then aok! The good news is you can adjust your bunks up/down to compensate for any height variation and make your boat sit straight.

I am thinking you have a pretty darn good plan LL! Your boat is light and your trailer is completely fine. Maybe an issue with a glasser but that ain't what ya got.

Looking good!:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

I agree with Jason that he may have thought you were talking about pulling a fiberglass rig on there. I really don't see a problem with the Starcraft tinny on there:)

If she pulls straight you are in business. Aren't trailers fun?:p:rolleyes::D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks, I'm messing with it now, involving a jack, a 4x4 and a sturdy tree branch. I can see about 3 places where it is slightly out of whack, PO must have backed into something.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Necessary evil those dammm things are..Unless ya have a house like this

floridadock.jpg

or this :mad:

floridacanalhomeboatlift.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Nice.:)

lakelover

Rear Admiral
About as good as it's gonna get

About as good as it's gonna get

Well, I had pretty good success, in that the trailer is a little straighter and I didn't kill or maim myself doing it. And in the end, it only cost me $12 for a 10 foot 4x4. Lucky I had the tree, I can't tell you how many times I've considered cutting it down.

The setup:

wDSC_2989.jpg

wDSC_2996.jpg

The key to keeping everything from moving:

wDSC_2983.jpg

A second jack, compliments of my long-gone 1980 Toyota Corolla:

wDSC_2997.jpg

Not perfect, but better than before: (Sorry for the scroll)

befafft.jpg