Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

bananaboater

Ensign
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

I sanded a lot of aluminum a while ago, not on a boat, and did experience what I tagged as aluminum poison. Had a headache for a week and felt lousy.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Some related trivia: Buddy Ebsen was originally cast as the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz, but he had to quit because he got very sick from the aluminum that was in the silver makeup they used. http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/ozebsen.asp

lakelover

Rear Admiral

OK, I just got the second coat of Gluvit on. I used the second half of a small size can that has been open since about a year ago and it mixed well and worked fine, same as the first half, so I guess it has a pretty good shelf life. In fact, I had some left over, so in order to use that expensive stuff up, I put a coat on my transom board. Next comes the primer, then the top coat.

Made a good score yesterday at JoAnn Fabrics. I went online and found a 40% off coupon and bought a couple yards of marine vinyl to use in the inside of my dash tray. It was also near the end of the roll, so they gave me the last part of a yard free. Got 2+ yards for $16. The lady who cashed me out was cutting fabric for someone else when I walked in the store. When I brought the roll up to the front, she said "You looked like a marine vinyl kind of guy".:D:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yup Joanns coupons are great ;)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

More progress......Yesterday I sprayed the interior bare aluminum areas with the etching primer (it sure doesn't take long to go through a can of that stuff), then applied the Rustoleum metal primer today everywhere I'm going to lay down the gray paint. Also have the transom board all primed and ready for paint.

I knew it was hot out, but I didn't realize it was 93--no wonder it was drying so fast, even though I was working in the shade. I quit for today.

It finally feels like I am getting to the addition part instead of the subtraction part of this whole project. But as soon as the floor is in, I'll be subtracting again when the boat is flipped for hull prep. I wanted to get the floor finished to protect the Gluvit from UV.

w_2682.jpg

w_2687.jpg

bananaboater

Ensign

Looks better than mine! Did you put flotation under the front deck yet?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Did you put flotation under the front deck yet?

Not yet. That will probably be one of the later things to do. Next I have to cut out the plywood for the floor and get that epoxied and painted, and install the rigid foam and floor. That will add a little weight for flipping it for sanding but not much.

I'm still deciding about that small front triangle deck, instead of doing that, I might just put down some rubber mat for protection from the bouncing anchor.

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any progress on the steering wheel? How did the 20 degree spacer work out? It seems that I may turn out to have the same problem with my steering wheel. Would really hate to have to cut a portion out of the dash tray, nonetheless take it out completely. In the same boat, pardon the pun. Not sure if this would work for either of us, but I was thinking about putting 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood up as backing behind the steering wheel to give it the room I need. Have not really looked into whether it would work or not. Just an idea.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Any progress on the steering wheel?

Not yet. My current phase is to get everything repainted, then I can start actually rebuilding everything. I hope the angle spacer works or I'll have to think of something else.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I'm trying to figure some way to turn some version of this into a nice dash emblem. Whatever the material would be needs to be UV-resistant and permanent. It could probably be done in metal for some price worth more than my whole project...

logo-new-4x4.jpg

Update...looking into laser engraving on wood or metal. Have some feelers out.

Well, I got a sample back today of the wood laser engraving. Not all I had hoped for, so back to the drawing board.

kenters

Cadet

I just bought a 1965 starcraft jetstar.

Floor is rotten in both stern corners. Ants!!
And just noticed a soft spot on my transom about the size of a match book.

I'm just about at the same place with my project.

I'm on the fence about pulling the floor up and the transom.
I'm thinking about waiting till the off season.

I set the orginal pully system back up.

Took the orginal seats out, we ride on milk crates this season;)
Seats were weathered but the frame is still good. Planning on rebuilding them.
They are different from the 1964 ad shown.
They are lounge seats, but really short and skinny.

Right now i'm soaking the boat to get the ants out, then i'm gonna dry it out and hope to go fishing in the morning.

FYI my jetstar has the plate on the transom and it says max 50hp

I took the jetstar (i call it the blue zipper) out with 3 adults and i really wouldn't advise trying to fit 4.

Do you plan to go swimming? have you thought about how to board the boat in deep water?

bananaboater

Ensign

I just bought a 1965 starcraft jetstar.

Floor is rotten in both stern corners. Ants!!
And just noticed a soft spot on my transom about the size of a match book.

I'm just about at the same place with my project.

I'm on the fence about pulling the floor up and the transom.
I'm thinking about waiting till the off season.

I set the orginal pully system back up.

Took the orginal seats out, we ride on milk crates this season;)
Seats were weathered but the frame is still good. Planning on rebuilding them.
They are different from the 1964 ad shown.
They are lounge seats, but really short and skinny.

Right now i'm soaking the boat to get the ants out, then i'm gonna dry it out and hope to go fishing in the morning.

FYI my jetstar has the plate on the transom and it says max 50hp

I took the jetstar (i call it the blue zipper) out with 3 adults and i really wouldn't advise trying to fit 4.

Do you plan to go swimming? have you thought about how to board the boat in deep water?

You should start your own thread and post pics of your Jetstar. There are few of us here that have the same boat.

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

No, I don't plan to swim off the boat, but the previous owner did some water skiing and there was a hook ladder included with the boat.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Finally after a lot of personal business and a darn two week vacation getting in my way, I got back at the Jet Star today. I put the first coat of paint on the interior and it looks kinda like crap. Or I don't know, maybe it's OK for the first coat? I applied the Rustoleum Marine Topside paint with a roller, and brushed it on the tight spots. I didn't thin it at all; now I wonder if I should have? The whole job, transom, sides and took about 2 hours and 1/2 qt. of paint.

Maybe it will even out all right when I put the second coat on. I was starting to feel a little loopy up there under the front deck :redface:. And it's really amazing how much crap is blowing around in the air that you're not aware of until you see it drop in your wet paint.

What do you think? Advice & suggestions welcome....

wDSC_2745.jpg

wDSC_2743.jpg

wDSC_2741.jpg

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Heya Lakelover... looking good! put another coat or 2 on and she should be good to go.... :D

Keep on rockin! it will be done in no time

bananaboater

Ensign

Heya Lakelover... looking good! put another coat or 2 on and she should be good to go.... :D

Keep on rockin! it will be done in no time

What he said. If you have doubts do a small section and see what plays out.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Inspired by this board, I pulled a nooner today and came home and lightly went over the first coat with a scotch pad. It's a great day, too nice to stay at work, and the metal is too hot right now, but I'll probably lay down the second coat after the house shadow moves and it cools down a little.

Edit 7/31: The second coat is on and it looks a lot better. Sure is glossy stuff though, wish I could have found something with a flatter finish for the interior. I have the non-skid additive that I'm going to use on the plywood and that will tone that area down some.

w-secondcoat_2748.jpg

w-secondcoat_2751.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Looking very good. Everything you show demonstrates progress :D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

A little more progress today. I went to Home Depot and got 1" pink insulation for under the floor & Lowe's for 1/4" plywood. I already had a floatation plan from quite a while ago so I was able to measure & cut out the pieces in short order and lay them our for eyeballing. After I get further along, I'll add foam under the gunwales and up under the front top deck too. My next goal is to get the plywood installed in the floor so I can flip the boat and get working on the prep for painting the hull. My floor plywood was so rotten when I got it that I couldn't use it for templates, it only came out in small chunks, but before pulling it I made paper templates. I'll just double-check the fit on those and tweak the size & shape as needed.

w_2754.jpg

bananaboater

Ensign

Seein' pink progress is good.