Ooo! Sparkly! Redfury's Grinding again!

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: Ooo! Sparkly! Redfury's Grinding again!

Wooooo Mike the new transom looks great, but you got some problems with that fit , it does look like your going to have to shap it somemore , and you might even have to add some wood to fill that gap on the top !!! or like you said peanutt butter the heck out of it !! on mine I pumped in more epoxy after i glassed it in !!!

I got a great up date here in a few !!!! John

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

God! Is that ever a gorgeous looking piece of wood. Looks like it belongs in a formal dining room more than hidden in a transom.

How thick is that BTW?

redfury

Commander

inch and a half. It does seem too nice to put in there, but I'll have the pictures to look at! ;) I've got a nice block of it that I'm going to fashion something else for the boat out of it...perhaps something on the dash. It's really easy to work with and has a perfect grain pattern...straight as an arrow.

Steven S.

Cadet

Looks awesome man. Definitely a pretty peice of wood. Looks like it's coming along nicely. One of these days I'll actually get started on mine. Hopefully this weekend. :D

redfury

Commander

It's blasted HOT up here suddenly...welcome Summer! I was out yesterday and pulled the cap back off and cleaned all the cottenwood out of the boat and took a piece of straight metal to the transom and found that I do indeed have a curvature in the glass down by the drain hole...I have to make sure that whatever I do do to bed this transom in, that it isn't going to just "give" and release from the wood again. I'm really starting to think I'm going to end up using an actual adhesive instead of resin to secure the glass to the wood. It'll suck if the transom ever has to come out again. but I'm hoping I'll not have to deal with that ever again...

jcsercsa

Captain

yea you get it done right there Mike and you wont ever have to worrie about it again !!!just glass her in good the make sure you use sealent on all the screws you put in her , and she will last 30 plus years !!! John

redfury

Commander

It's going to be a toughie...I can't really afford to screw up the pre cut transom, but I'm not sure how I should shape the wood so I get a good fit in there.

I was doing some straight edge work and I think there may have been an issue at the factory, or perhaps a warping to the transom wood originally....it's like the "v" section curled a bit when it cured or :confused:.

It's a conundrum...I may have to see if I can get my step dad up for a consultation. If there is any ONE thing on this boat that I'm going to be completely and totally anal about, it is this. I may just consider cutting a notch out of the bottom of the transom wood and then layer glass into the cut out. The benefit would be that water could never intrude via the drain hole.

The only thing that concerns me would be the strength of that area if it were ever lifted with a jack on the point of the transom. It's damn strong fiberglass there anyway, and if I layered up enough glass to make up at least an inch worth of glass there, it would/should be more than strong enough to deal with it. I might even consider glassing it to the point where I could run live well ports through it.

I dunno. It's something to think about...with the weather hitting over 100 with the heat index, I'm not getting any glassing done anyway.

redfury

Commander

Well, I'll have some progress pictures here hopefully by the end of the week.

I borrowed a 1/2" drill from the neighbor to bore the holes into the transom for the bolts I'm going to use to hold it all together when I laminated/bond it to the hull.

I bolted it all down with 5 bolts, 2 on top, two through the lower engine mount holes and one through the drain plug. Looks like I'm in business! They pulled the hull back into the proper shape against the wood, so I'm going to go that route. I put the cap back on the boat with the transom bolted into place, so there isn't any warping or alignment issues ( damn, I'm getting tired of lifting this cap up..it's heavy and awkward! ).

At any rate, I'm going to source me some resin this week and then I'm going to put a layer of mat between the outer skin and the transom wood and go from there.

redfury

Commander

BTW John, where's the vids of the 'tron on the water?! I want to see that and Johns Scarab in action!

jcsercsa

Captain

BTW John, where's the vids of the 'tron on the water?! I want to see that and Johns Scarab in action!

I been waiting for this !!! I forgot the camera last time out !!!!! Its going to rain here wed , hoping thursday!!!!! John

redfury

Commander

I been waiting for this !!! I forgot the camera last time out !!!!! Its going to rain here wed , hoping thursday!!!!! John

Excuses excuses! :D I didn't forget my camera though!

100_2050.jpg

redfury

Commander

100_2051.jpg
100_2053.jpg

It's in and drying. I used PL Premium adhesive...almost a complete industrial sized tube of it ( I bought 4 of them just in case :eek::D ). If that doesn't bond the wood to the fiberglass skin, there isn't any amount of fiberglass and resin that would. I scuffed up both surfaces with 60 grit, wiped with acetone and globbed it on. then I troweled it out with a 3/8ths notched plastic spreader throw away trowel, gooped a little more under where the transom sits on the bottom of the hull and then started bolting it in. I used a plastic spoon to radius the extra PL along the bottom so that I'll be able to have a nice transition to glass around and took a rag with acetone and cleaned up the excess from the sides. I'll give this the rest of the week to cure before I think of pulling the bolts. Then I'll let it rest for a few days and then give it a check. If all goes well, then I move onto stringers! YAY!

88BLiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey red, congrats on the transom, it looks great. I also got my transom in this weekend. I know exactly what you are going through with the weather. I am also stuck working on the boat outside and I live in Florida, so I can not even listen to the forecast. It can be clear and sunny and with in 15 minutes be raining cats and dogs. It also rains almost every day here in the summer at about 4:00. The Heat also sucks, I think the heat index today was like 110. That gives me about 5 or 10 minutes working time with the epoxy I am using, and that is with slow hardener. Lets get started on those stringers now!

jcsercsa

Captain

Looking good there Mike !!! and your right that really should bond it the the glass !!!!! too bad you got to put the top back on , its too petty to cover !!! lol john

redfury

Commander

Well, it's holding water back :D tha's good right? :eek:

Figures that I install the thing the evening before we get rain...stupid forecast!

Fortunately, I only had about 5 gallons of water in the hull to drain, and I dropped the nose on it this morning as far as I could to keep the water level on the wood as low as possible. Pulled the bottom bolt, everything held up and drained the water, put the bolt back in and will wait until Thursday to remove all the bolts and cut the drain hole out and glass everything in and water proof the bolt holes. I'm going to pick up my first gallon of resin hopefully tomorrow during my lunch break. :cool:

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looks good man! Too good...I just couldnt cover that. I would use a bunch of light cloth layers to get my glass thickness just to be able to keep in see through! That is far too blingin not to show off. do you smell that? Thats progress baby!

redfury

Commander

100_2059.jpg

Ungood! Fortunately it was nice and sunny today, so it dried out pretty quick. Just for good measure though, I poured some acetone through the hole to help wick out any extra moisture. I'm going to get the drain hole drilled the rest of the way and install the garboard type drain I plan to use.

What do most of you guys use to drill the hole, a spade bit?

redfury

Commander

OOH, forgot about Forstner bits! New acquisition! :D