Ooo! Sparkly! Redfury's Grinding again!

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: Ooo! Sparkly! Redfury's Grinding again!

LOOKING GOOD There Mike !!!!!! have you got your wood drying ??? John

redfury

Commander

LOOKING GOOD There Mike !!!!!! have you got your wood drying ??? John
Wood? What wood? I don't have any wood yet :eek: I haven't decided what I want to use. I may go looking at wood this weekend though.

My step dad owns a cabinet shop, I may just source it through him. I haven't decided yet.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just go with exterior 3/4 plywood since you will be coating it. It will be better than new.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

looks like things are progressing for you...man I hate grinding...it never ends. I still find things to grind on with as far along as I am. Home Depot has 24/25 grit disks BTW.

redfury

Commander

looks like things are progressing for you...man I hate grinding...it never ends. I still find things to grind on with as far along as I am. Home Depot has 24/25 grit disks BTW.

What are the cost on them? I can get Harbor freight screw on flappers for $5 a piece...much cheaper than the $7 I paid for the exact same ones at Northern Tool and Equipment :eek:. Home Depot is something I have to purposely seek out, so if they are a decent enough price, I may make a special trip for them, though honestly, most of the heavy grinding is done short of maybe another couple of hours worth, and I've got one more 40 grit waiting, plus a 36...

jcsercsa

Captain

Mike you got to get the wood drying , your going to be waiting for it to dry !!! its going to take a couple weeks for it to dry!!!! I agree go with the ext 3/4 and it will be better then new !!!!! and coat it , 3 coats !!!! John

F14CRAZY

Ensign

What are the cost on them? I can get Harbor freight screw on flappers for $5 a piece...much cheaper than the $7 I paid for the exact same ones at Northern Tool and Equipment :eek:. Home Depot is something I have to purposely seek out, so if they are a decent enough price, I may make a special trip for them, though honestly, most of the heavy grinding is done short of maybe another couple of hours worth, and I've got one more 40 grit waiting, plus a 36...

I'm not positive on how much they were but I don't remember it being bad

redfury

Commander

Well, I didn't get much done over memorial day weekend, but I did go camping and fishing! That was fun, the weather held out and I caught some fish!
web%20crappie.JPG

I did get a little bit more work done on the boat though, I'll take some photos and update that part soon... I'm hoping to get some more done this weekend if it doesn't rain too much. I got the side kick panels off and cut the excess glass off the sides of the boat at the deck line so I can sand that smooth to accept the tabbing of glass I want to do to tie the deck to the boat. I think once I get that part done, I can start thinking about making templates for my stringers. I'm thinking of using Luan plywood to make them as it's easy enough to work with and cheap.

jcsercsa

Captain

Nice fish Mike , then are fun to catch that size !! how many did you get ??? we were going to go camping here , but it rained the last 2 days so that shot that !!! John

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Redfury, and John, I see you guys talk about how bad your factory glass jobs were but my boat had just about the same glass job done to it. The hull itself looks thicker but the sad stringer wrap that looks like it got its resin applied with a squirt gun is all the same. Do you think its just that iboaters are dedicated enthusiasts and not the average idiot that just wants to buy a boat cause its "cool" to have one, therefore, our expectations tend to be a bit higher? I find it kinda funny that there arent many people that complain about the floor tub adhesive job that datsun did on that 1975 260Z! We are a funny breed!

ITS A DATSUN!!!!!!

Red, your boat is really coming along. I really like the lines of that glastron, yours too John. Damn it, I should have just bought one of those...you guys keep inspiring the masses...oh and get back to work, slackers!!!!!!:D

redfury

Commander

Yes, the lines of the Glastrons are nice, which is why I'm so fond of mine. I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to mimic Johns paint job or not. I probably still will, but I was thinking of possibly going with a very classic luxury paint scheme ( creme and platinum with a pin stripe...I'm not sure yet ).

I was hoping to get on it today, but didn't get home until almost 8pm. Perhaps tomorrow after work if it doesn't rain.

88BLiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am having the same rain issues here in Florida. It is just stating to be that time of year here when you can tell that it is about 3:00 because it starts raining everyday between 2 and 4. :(

redfury

Commander

Gonna get some pics up tonight with a small update! :D

redfury

Commander

7 inch sander acquired!
100_1793.jpg

100_1795.jpg

got the sides off and cut the rest of the remaining glass that was still leftover from the original floor. I'm going to grind that out on Sunday.
100_1796.jpg

Now, there is no inherent need to remove all of this glass and fairing as far as I can see. IF I had cut it out, I'd be doing the exact same thing anyway, so I'm going to leave it. HOWEVER, if you notice, there is a cavity that fills up with water under there. I cut the glass down that was creating a full glass wall . I plan to fill this void with foam and then glass it in. If the foam gets wet, then so be it. It's either wet foam, or straight water either way, hopefully the foam can keep the water from just going in willy nilly. Actually, I plan to fill the whole area on the outsides of the hump with foam to avoid water from collecting in there.
100_1797.jpg

Same deal over here. I've tapered the fairing compound so that when I install the flooring, I will have something to bond to. I might even consider tapering the edge of the floor to match. We'll cross that path when we get to it.
100_1799.jpg

This picture is for you guys that have already done this....This is the splashwell...the underside of the cap. You can see the crud I need to grind out of this so that the cap will fit, but it's obvious to me that I'll need to do something about it when I fit the cap back on...what did you guys do here? I was thinking of some Oops! Peanut butter jammed in there ( PB and J! )

88BLiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found the same kind of stuff when I removed my transom. I did not remove the top of my boat but it filled in areas where the splash well met the transom. It seems to be very much like thickened resin so I the the peanut butter idea would work great if not better.

jcsercsa

Captain

Yep use the peanut butter mike !! I wish I would have , I had to drill them holes and shoot epoxy in there on mine !!! John

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

note on flapper disks... the ones from the local harbor freight store are much poorer quality than the ones from lowes... the 40 grit i get from lowes last like 10 times longer... and are close to $10 each...

sandpaper is one thing that really isn't a deal from harbor freight in my opinion. it just doesn't hold up.

redfury

Commander

Well, the 7 inch sander is from HF, and running it with no load doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in it from me, but I paid extra for the 1 year warranty figuring that I'm going to use it the most in one years time, and after that it won't get enough use to warrant paying for the 2 year warranty. It'll probably break before this time next year anyway, considering what I'll be using it for. I picked up a couple of packs of 80 grit hook and loop papers for it from them as well as the ones that came with it ( a 60 and 150 grit ).

One thing I like about it is the variable speed, the trigger control and lock. Getting extra motor brushes is a nice add-in, but the fact that they figure you'll need them is a little disconcerting.:rolleyes:

But, that's what I bought the Makita for...the heavy work. And I really bought the HF for applying and polishing wax on the cars/boat for any long term use. It's got a nice low speed setting, and it is relatively quiet all things considered.

jcsercsa

Captain

Mike I used the cut off wheel for a lot of my grinding , just hold it at a angle and watch it fly off !!! just be carefull not to go threw the hull !!! some thing I didnt do my hole project !!!!! not like some others around here !!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA John

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For my angle grinder, I used the DeWalt z36 grit 4 1/2" discs from Lowes. They cost about $8 each, but I got a 3 pack from HF for $8 and I burned thru all of them in less than an hour. The DW discs last considerably longer.

I'm pretty hesitant about anything bought from HF. Scored a cheap engine stand and chain hoist from there that seemed to work ok, but for tools and blades and sandpaper its not worth the cost savings. Plain and simple.