Ooo! Sparkly! Redfury's Grinding again!

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Ooo! Sparkly! Redfury's Grinding again!

So, I did some light grinding and didn't wear my suit, so I went and blew myself off with the compressor....except I managed to drive some of the dust into my skin. This picture is after a week of suffering with a fiberglass dust rash...this is the itchy stuff! now, it's just a rash and irritates me because I did it, and it's still there, not because it is irritating in a physical way...fortunately.

Just a shout out to you Red... I got one of those suits because I saw your pic in your opening post and I was planning on some grinding. I just wasn't thinking about it until I saw you pics. So thanks for Rx!

redfury

Commander

100_2149.jpg
Horror of horrors! Well, it's delaminated. I've gotten the stuff I needed to get done around the house for the most part, so now that the weather has gotten nicer for grinding, I'm going to get out there and make a mess this weekend and try to get it cleaned up and fixed up proper. Fortunately, the delam is localized and I've found the ends of it. Got about 2 feet to tear up...might find more, but I'm going to add another layer of glass on the stringers further out to ensure I have a good bond with the hull. I might pick up some roving for that, I'm not totally sure yet. I have a lot of grinding to do, so I'll get that done first and then worry about the actual fiberglass work. Such is life I suppose.

As it sits, I'm ahead of where I figured I'd be this year...my goal being getting the transom installed. That's done, two stringers are almost complete, and the third is in the works...plus I have a template for my floor. If THAT isn't progress, I don't know what is. All in all, I'm extremely pleased with where I got to so far this summer. I've still got a good month and a half to work, and I think I can get some work done this winter on some of the smaller things, like working on the new dash...that can eat up some time, and I'll have plenty of that once the snow flies....still wish I had a shop space that I could heat up and use though.

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That sucks about the delamination, but at least you're ahead of your schedule.

jcsercsa

Captain

Not cool and cool Mike !!! lol Get her done !! John

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

im sorry to hear that, I was wondering how the situation was progressing. It didnt look good! I am glad to see though that you took it in stride and have a positive attitude. Some would throw in the towel after a set back like that. Nice job!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I will Vegas! I tried to get my normal moniker, but apparently someone had it already, so I ended up going with RedFuryIII, which is fine since I've used that before at other places.

I'm currently trying to get mine hardwired for internet, but I do have Halo 3 also...( library is lacking in games ATM ). I'll eventually get ODST and COD though.

I'd like to say that the progress on the boat is coming along, but the way my life goes, I only get small snippets of time to work on it, there is never a block of time I get to allot to it, so I hope you don't mind minor updates here and there sporadically!

As far as being the best looking Glastron out there for 1000 miles, I'll be competing with Jscersca's then :p:D

Ha ha cool cool call sign = REDFURYIII :)

Ill have to wait for you to get your 360 connected and we'll hook up once you get COD WorldAtWar
Sorry your fiberglass delammed, you'll be ok though!
cut it out and scuff it up good, clean with acetone and relay! make sure to get ALL of the bubbles out! that thin matt seems to do that real easy...the random strand matting seems to stick LIKE GLUE..lol...gotta use something rougher for the first layers at the least in my opinion.

Hey Red
we started a new boat restore thread recently
PROJECT JEZABEL link here as if we needed MORE to do! lol TONS of pics, turbo restore, 2 week deadline from start to finish!!!! almost one week into it! (of actual working on it) 23' sleekcraft executive 350 cehvy chrysler sterndrive

thrillhouse700

Looking good as always red, We have slowed down on ours as well. Due to the wallet being empty mostly.

redfury

Commander

Hey, guess what I found out....my boat was a former Cheesehead! Blasphemy!

100_2341.jpg

Anyway, got some work done before the snow fell! The center stringer has been PL'd in place and wrapped in what I had left of 1708 biax. There is one strip that I layed up across the top of the stringer, and one on each side tabbing it to the hull ( which I ground smooth a couple of weeks ago...there was a lot of left over CSM if you look back in the thread a bit )
100_2335.jpg

I didn't even fillet the corners, all I used was the smoothed out PL this time. The only issue I ran up against in a couple of spots was where I smeared the PL up the sides and didn't get it cleaned up ( smoothed out ) and have a couple of air bubbles that I will have to inject some poly into. Beyond that though, the Biax took the corner at the bottom wonderfully. I learned from the first side and the second side turned out almost perfect.
100_2334.jpg

I plan to get some more biax and join the center and outer stringers and reinforce the outer stringers where I had the issues with delam.

redfury

Commander

Took the boat off the trailer as I'm apparently off on my stringer heights...a board laid across them has an irregularity up the length of the hull.
100_2328.jpg

You can't really see it in this picture, but the right side of the bottom board is up off the curve of the hull, the other side sits on it. I'd prefer that they both sit right on the hulls curve as I planned to bond the floor with PL along that length to help stiffen everything up and prevent any rubbing from hull flex. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do yet. I don't have a sawzall to cut a scribed line with and I don't have a belt sander that I could grind it down with either. Regardless, I've got to come up with a solution before I commit to cutting my deck panels.
100_2330.jpg

I'm going to make sure my bunks are even in heights and then return the boat back to the trailer before I do anything else for now...not that I can do much else with our weather at the moment. As I type this, we have a fresh layer of snow on the ground! Normally, we don't get snow in May...hows that global warming doing for the rest of ya?

redfury

Commander

Oh, and for those that are curious, I had the boat sitting on the ground and took a walk inside of it, stepping firmly on what would be considered "stress" points. The only cracking I heard was my knees! I think the bond that I do have with the fiberglassing I've done so far with the stringers is going to be solid. Of course, I'll over engineer it once more just to make sure. ;):D

bear_69cuda

Commander

Once a cheesehead always a cheesehead! :D

Looking good bro-

Sorry about delam issues!

redfury

Commander

Once a cheesehead always a cheesehead! :D

Looking good bro-

Sorry about delam issues!

Never! Actually, I think the boat is originally from Iowa! :eek: Talk about a confused boat!

redfury

Commander

Alrighty, got a little further with the boat again...of course, now it's raining all week, so any boat work done is between the squalls :p
100_2356.jpg

First off, this is the strip of glass I pulled off the boat to show the thickness of 1708 Biaxial with Polyester Resin. That's only one layer of glass.
100_2357.jpg

This is the same strip held out to show the rigidity of it.
100_2355.jpg

This is the amount of stringer I had to trim to get my deck level. How did I scribe that line you may ask?
100_2352.jpg

Well, here's my method. I notched a board to fit over the stringer that was too high, and then moved it up and down the boat making marks along the stringer. Then I took my straight edge that I use to cut carpet ( it's flexible since my stringer is curved )
IMG00384-20100510-1117.jpg

and here the boat is with my luan templates in place. Now that the floor is trued, I have a small amount of trimming to do for a little closer fit. With the three stringers in place and the luan, it supported a 5 year old boy without flexing. Once I get the plywood cut, sealed and PL'ed to the stringers and tabbed to the sides of the boat, and then glassed over, I'm going to be sitting pretty.

redfury

Commander

speaking of squalls, rain all day today. So, I went to check the drainage on the boat. I've got a problem, and I'm not happy about it. The water drains down and leaves this much crap left in the hull.....what to do?
IMG00394-20100511-2044.jpg
I mean, I can't have that much water sitting in the back, but my drain hole really can't get too much lower if I were to re-drill it. Oh, and this is what is left of the water in the hull lifting it up at this angle....
IMG00395-20100511-2046.jpg

The front tires are floating...free wheeling. With a motor on the boat, it isn't going to see this kind of angle often...Any suggestions on what to do? I'm thinking of getting some core mat or something and build the level up to the drain?

Picture was taken late, so it's crappy, but you get the idea. :(

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great to see you back at her Red! I think building up with glass is probably your best bet too. I'd be cheap and use scraps of whatever glass you have around, 1708 should build quick too.

Keep it up!
Terry

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree as well, build up the shallow area until flush with the drain hole.

redfury

Commander

Well, I have enough mat and enough resin left over if I use something to bridge the area....Perhaps I'll use some of the left over pink foam insulation that I have if it isn't too thick. I'll try to remember to take some pics of the process I go through to solve this problem...

83mulligan

Hey red!! been a while. Glad to see you working away on her. Just a thought, why not use some PB to build it up and then a layer of 1708 over that? Then you could shape it to drain right.

redfury

Commander

Hey red!! been a while. Glad to see you working away on her. Just a thought, why not use some PB to build it up and then a layer of 1708 over that? Then you could shape it to drain right.

Mainly because the hull is already about an inch thick back there due to resin from manufacturing...I don't really want to build it up too thick.

I dunno, I'll have to see what it is going to take to get it built up to the level I want.

jcsercsa

Captain

I did a build up on mine by the plug !! when you got bow up in the air is perfect , it will build up by the plug and if you just use epoxy with out the glass it will self level nice !!! Its about time you get back at her mike !! whats your time line ?? John