What's the best way to strip old paint of an aluminum boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
I just picked up a 1959 Lone Star Malibu. The boat is in pretty good shape (minus the seats) but the paint job is pretty bad. It looks like it was painted with no primer and latex paint and it's all flaking off. I have a few ideas on what to try but was looking for any input as to what others have done? thanks.

Attachments

• HPIM8391 small.jpg
    HPIM8391 small.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM8393 small.jpg
    HPIM8393 small.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: What's the best way to strip old paint of an aluminum boat?

Does anyone do Soda Blasting up where you are? The Lone Star is a classic and would look great re-finished. When I was younger my Dad have a Black Lone Star Mustang from the factory........ or you can sand it.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yup, blasting or sanding are options...so is plain old nasty spray-on oven cleaner. Work outside on a calm day and wear gloves and protective eyewear...spray on, wait 10 minutes, hose it off. It will take it down to bare metal then you can sand, prime and repaint. Costs about $4 a can though. Also works good as a cleaner/degreaser/stripper for prepping outboards for paint...aluminum ones, that is. Never tried it on f-glass...might eat it up.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Soda blasting? what the heck is that? is that like sand blasting? I'm not set up for sand blasting. Don't have the equipment and my compressor is too small I believe.

Anyone ever heard of Talstrip 2? (photo attached) Another aluminum boat guy told me it will vaporize anything on aluminum. They use it to strip airplanes. Have not tried it yet though.

Attachments

• IMG_0737 small.jpg
    IMG_0737 small.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1

CATransplant

Admiral

That stuff will work. You can also use regular paint store paint stripper...the thick kind you brush on, then scrape off. That's what I did on my tinny, and it took off three coats of paint. If that's really latex-based paint, it'll strip right off, slick as can be.

There will be some touch-up stripping to do, but the same stuff works on that, too.

If you use that, follow the directions on the can carefully. Apply it thickly, brushing it on in just one direction, for best results. Don't put it in plastic containers, or it'll melt right through 'em. Use metal cans. Use a natural bristle brush, since some of the synthetic ones will melt in the stuff.

Just do it outdoors, since paint remover is nasty stuff to breathe. Wear really, really old clothes and shoes you can throw out when you finish. Also, good rubber gloves. Wash off any you get on your skin right away. It'll give you a burn.

BTW, I love the lines of that boat!

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That stuff will work. You can also use regular paint store paint stripper...the thick kind you brush on, then scrape off. That's what I did on my tinny, and it took off three coats of paint. If that's really latex-based paint, it'll strip right off, slick as can be.

There will be some touch-up stripping to do, but the same stuff works on that, too.

If you use that, follow the directions on the can carefully. Apply it thickly, brushing it on in just one direction, for best results. Don't put it in plastic containers, or it'll melt right through 'em. Use metal cans. Use a natural bristle brush, since some of the synthetic ones will melt in the stuff.

Just do it outdoors, since paint remover is nasty stuff to breathe. Wear really, really old clothes and shoes you can throw out when you finish. Also, good rubber gloves. Wash off any you get on your skin right away. It'll give you a burn.

BTW, I love the lines of that boat!

he knows what he's saying. WEAR GLOVES. take your time brushing it on or you will get it all over your self. you wont feel the spots falling on your skin till about 40 sec later, just drop what your doing and get it off if anything keep a wet rag next to you.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I see the picture correctly that paint is loose and most of it will come off with a pressure washer. Use a 3000psi and at least 4 gpm power washer with 0 tip. If you don't think it will work, buy a random orbit sander palm handle by porter cable with vacuum attachment (or without) works really well and it is a must have for any sanding job, velcro type sandpaper from 320 grt. to 40grt. course available. Give yourself a break and stay away from nasty paint removers.

Lliam

Cadet

Hello all

I am finishing up on the sides for my boat.
I used brand name "STRIPPER" and "STRIPEEZE" thick paste let it set for the recommended time and used a heavy duty paint scraper to remove old paint.

I also used my sander to complete the job but that mostly polished up the aluminum.

I WASHED the boat then used mineral spirits to ensure ALL the paint srtiper material was off.

I had a choice of primers to use.
ZINC CHROMATE or SEM (mfg in North Carolina) brand bought locally at an auto paint store.

Hand spray.

Both have "SELF ETCHING" properties to adhere to the aluminum.

http://www.nefla.com/boat/

As you can see, I have NOT applied the finish coat.

I removed the hardware (cleats etc) to allow me to finish the deck area.
My 1600 psi pressure washer has removed ALMOST all of the paint top side.

YES, I will use my THICK PASTE to remove the remaining paint.
sand the metal, apply more primer.

I plan to get a QUOTE from the local truck bed spray company to apply that material to the deck areas. NON SKID

If that proves to costly, I may buy it in quart cans or use non skid paint.
In the Navy, we used to simply ADD SAND to the paint. (I retired in 1990)

Thanks,
Bill

sprintst

Commander

I'm going to try this stuff when it arrives in a couple of days. Apparently you can just pressure wash the boat and all the paint just falls off including the areas around the rivets.

It's also ph neutral and is environmentally friendly. http://www.m-tc.com/efs2500_home.htm

Check out the pics on the link of them stripping planes...

Bidget

Cadet

I'm wanting to get mine to polished aluminum shine. Surely, I need to seal it. Any mistakes I can avoid?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I'm wanting to get mine to polished aluminum shine. Surely, I need to seal it. Any mistakes I can avoid?

You have hijacked someone's post from the archives.

Welcome to iboats please feel free to start your own thread and also use the SEARCH function about polishing an aluminum hull.....it has been discussed many times here.

This post is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.