c1.jpg

d1.jpg

e1.jpg

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: My Jon Boat Conversion

Looks nice.
Have you had it in the water?
Be careful when you first take it out, because the center of gravity of the boat is now way higher than it was before. Hopefully it is still stable enough with 2 people in it.

JeffsAV

Seaman

I like the reinforced rails under the deck...good thinking. The camo job looks great, too! You just go yourself a very inexpensive new fishing rig! I agree that you need to be careful about the center of gravity, please be cautious when you go out. You may also want to consider sealing the wood you used with resin, as water will make your deck soft in a couple of years.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Did you treat or coat the plywood before the carpet? It looks very good..... I would stability test it. ;)

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Nice job! Did the same thing to my 14/36 Eldocraft. I stand up and fish out of it but I'm cautious of my movements. Will you have an outboard on the back? If not I'd suggest moving the battery to the stern. I put two large Trojan batteries on either side of mine and it helped with the stability a lot.

pccraig

Cadet

I have given some thought to her stability. And I want to be able to stomp around on that deck without any worries. So I'm considering an outrigger system to help keep me on deck.

Something like this:

image.php

pccraig

Cadet

Yes, I treated all of the wood with Thompson's Water Seal after all the cuts were made..stunk up the garage for 3 days.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

The outrigger would help with stability but I'd drive me nuts while I was fishing. It may not be necessary though. I was actually surprised at how stable mine was. It's only when I get right on the edge that it gets squirrely. I've learned to stay in the middle of the boat and have yet to take a swim.:D If you're not going to have an outboard or a battery in the back or something heavy it may have a tendancy (when you're up front) to dip foward lifting the stern out of the water. If that happens the boat will spin around like a wind sock in a light breeze. Don't ask how I know.;)

pccraig

Cadet

Eventually (when the budget permits) I plan to put an outboard (9.9hp) on her. I'm also considering the outriggers to keep her stable for duck hunting.

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice job . Is that a 1232 or 1436 ?
I got a 14'er waiting for time , weather , and , my natural tendacy to completely over-engineer every detail , lol .

Take her out for a sea trial when you get that 9.9 , it just might be a little more stable than you think . ;)

rich64

Cadet

I hope you glued the carpet down before you stapled it,It looks kinda saggy. when I did mine I used outdoor carpet glue and a rolling pin to get out all the air pockets.

pccraig

Cadet

yes.. I used carpet adhesive before I stapled it. Thsoe lumps you see are the hinge plates, I wanted to cover those so they didn't heat up too much in the sun.

b1bofz13

Cadet

Very professional job would rate 3aaaa
What did you use for camoflage ?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

did you use marine carpet?

how much was the carpet?
marine carpet is about $10 a square ft.