where to purchase marine plywood, and hatch door

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I need to know where to buy marine grade plywood. (local franchise hopefully) They don't carry it it Lowe's, or Home Depot here.

Also I am wanting to get a hatch door for the bow glove box I will have made, if it is not too expensive. (the kind with a lock) You see these doors all the time in boats nowadays.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: where to purchase marine plywood, and hatch door

What will you be using this plywood for? The application may help you decide whether you really need marine plywood. It's likely that you don't.

erikgreen

Captain

If it turns out you do, you can get it usually from a "real" lumberyard.. not a Lowes or Home Depot type place, but look in your phone book or online for a local lumberyard or building supply center that is less retail oriented. They'll have better quality wood usually too.

If they don't have it, they'll either know who will or they can order it in, usually cheaper than paying to have it shipped yourself.

The only big box type store I've seen to carry it locally near me is Menards, and then only in their larger stores.

Erik

Edit: In Texas, it should be relatively easy to find a lumberyard that carries the stuff locally, since you at least have some ocean coastline on the state :)

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I was able to find marine grade, pressure treated ply at a local boat repair shop. He's selling the 3/4" ply to me for $60/sheet. This particular grade is 7 ply and guaranteed for life. You might be able to find it yourself by doing a google search in your area for "boat repair" and then narrow down the results to an actual repair shop that specializes in glasss boat repair. I had pretty good luck and was able to find people that specialize in motors, upolstery, and repair.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Like CAT said, if we knew what you were doing with it we could head ya in a good direction. I have replaced one of the hatches on mine and just used oak. with the poly on it the wood will never see the moisture.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This wood will go in for the transom. I was going to leave it, but it was recommended to me that I replace it. 1/4 sheet of marine grade plywood would be more than enough. This is for a 14 ft aluminum boat.

zach103

Commander

lumber yard for the wood. might need to ask around but someone close will have it. the hatch you can get in the iboats marine store probably and if not just check around online

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I will see if they have what I am talking about for a hatch on iboats. I had hoped to get one locally though.

zach103

Commander

do you want it to be aluminum or whatever that metal is or can it be plastic?

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can add a hatch without purchasing anything fancy. Doesn't need to have a full frame around it. Stainless steel piano hinge, build a box underneath with a lip for the door to rest on, and a simple collapsing marine latch. Carpet (or not), done!

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

do you want it to be aluminum or whatever that metal is or can it be plastic?
I would prefer the aluminum. If it is too high, I won't get it though. It does look awful nice, a lot of fishing boats have them I noticed.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can add a hatch without purchasing anything fancy. Doesn't need to have a full frame around it. Stainless steel piano hinge, build a box underneath with a lip for the door to rest on, and a simple collapsing marine latch. Carpet (or not), done!

I wonder where to get a piano hinge. The box below is the bow of the boat. I plan to put a glove box area in there, with a small casting deck on top. That will hold my first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and stuff like that. I would like to be able to lock it too.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Google!

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Erik. I am looking at the links now. The first one was more expensive than I had thought. Some of the ones in the second url are a little better. I will further explore that link. :)