Glen-l boats - worth it?

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have been kicking this around for a long time now, still thinking about it.
Is it worth it? will the boat suck because of design flaws?

something like this:

pic913-2.jpg

pic913-5.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Glen-l boats - worth it?

Glen L has proven designs if you follow there directions.

mthieme

Captain

I have used their plans for several hydroplanes. No issues.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Maybe I'm missing something...don't see any design flaws in that boat shown in your post.

a70eliminator

Captain

No, but the guy at the helm doesn't look too happy, maybe sitting on that wooden seat bad on the hemohoriods.

mthieme

Captain

That's just because there are no bikinis on the lake.

thatguy

Seaman

im going to agree, that dude looks miserable!

Tom

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I think he's pissed that he lost his hair.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's the look some guys get after doing laps around a very busy ramp for 1/2 hour trying to get his boat out of the lake. :D

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have been kicking this around for a long time now, still thinking about it.
Is it worth it? will the boat suck because of design flaws?

something like this:

pic913-2.jpg

pic913-5.jpg
They are most reliable and will help all they can. Read the instructions many times and while you build. Sign in to Glen-L-marine and join their forum. And you will get a feel for what they are about. Like here , there is lots of helpful info.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I am a member over there and I am currently building a Monaco, I have never read any reports of a design being poor handling once completed properly. Nothing but rave reviews on the seaworthiness etc. I am absolutely 100% positive anybody could screw one up though. I am trying as hard as I can that's for sure . . . :rolleyes:

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

None too happy? Naw, look again. I think he's just checking out the photog with a deadpan eye (maybe that's who's wearing the bikini), so his passenger won't notice. He doesn't look like one to circle the ramp for half an hour.
QC...post some pix of your Monaco project.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

what about resale? I see these things on ebay and craigslist a lot, and I haven't seen one sale.

And I see a guy on here that bought one, and everyone said it not worth fixing

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

what about resale? I see these things on ebay and craigslist a lot, and I haven't seen one sale.

And I see a guy on here that bought one, and everyone said it not worth fixing

You sell em so you can build another.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I intend on selling mine. I have been in a slump ( I suck at painting) and trying to get remotivated . . . One good excuse for procrastinating is waiting on the market to come back. We have a couple of mountain lakes where a Chris type replica would sell, so I intend on focus marketing when I am ready to go. The paint scheme in the example above is very similar to mine with the exception that I am using dark blue, not green. Right now she is upside down and I am trying to get up the courage for my final coat. If I "F" it up, I will get her clear coated when I am finished and call it a day with that part of this project. I need to get her turned over and start building things instead of endless sanding and painting and sanding off F'ed up coats . . . She is an inboard, and the structure is all done (I bought it that way) search the restoration section for more info, I was hot and heavy this time last year. I'll check on my pics and post some more soon.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great looking boat. Reminds of when I was a kid in upstate NY and every body had a chris craft ! :cool:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Man, I missed this one . . .

pic872-1.jpg

pic872-4.jpg

Wow :cool:

jonesg

Admiral

its only got 4 rod holders.
and I wouldn't take that trailer too far either, other than that...

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Glen-L boats are geared to amature builders but there are some points where you'll have to figure out what or how you should do something. They have a great forum. Gayle Brantuk is running the show now and is really going all out to make things a lot better. Her Dad, Glenn Witt started the company.

I was building one of their Aluminum designs when the price of Aluminum suddenly went out the roof and blew my budget completely out of whack. Stick with the wood boats and you won't have any problems.

I will give you this warning, building wooden boats is an art and you will raise your personal levels of expecation. In otherwords, it will dissapoint you in a heartbeat but if you push through the dissapointing times the rewards are fabulous.