Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Wish 1 of 3 trailers got that kind of attention from the PO's I got 'em from.

TS has tons of trailer parts & pcs, I should have thought of that too:facepalm:

Karma man! Karma... nuff said :cool:

Checking out TS tonight

Piece715

Sooooo can't get the prop off... It's stuck... Even tried some pb blaster... The prop on there 12.25x15 I was mistaken. And the new ss is 11.75x15... Ideas anyone?

Piece715

Got it! With some persuasion and finesse... Now cleaning the grooves cuz they are all corroded cuz the prop doesn't slide on easy

Piece715

Another successful lake trip in the bag.. despite the fact that I left the boat keys at home and had to go back for them! What's sad is that I packed the night before and grabbed everything; keys, plugs, fuses, tools, GPS, etc. When hooking up the boat the safety chains were too short so I had to get my other set. When I did I left the boat keys in the house next to the tool box as I had just removed the hitch lock and the keys were in my hand. :facepalm:

Ok let's talk prop for a sec... First off I finally got the old prop off which was not an easy task. There was about a spool of fishing line wrapped around the prop shaft and the old prop was corroded on pretty solid. After the prop came off tried to slide the other on and it was a no go. So we spent the next 30-45 min scrapping and using PB blaster on the prop shaft splines to ungunkify them. Post cleaning the prop slid right into place.

One thing that I noticed during this was the current aluminum prop was a 12.25" diameter x 15 pitch. The SS prop is a 11.75" diameter x 15 pitch... soo all that changed in this process was the diameter.

Now let me throw some numbers:
Aluminum 3 blade 12.25" x 15 at WOT ~4400-4500 no GPS speed
Power tech stainless 3 blade 11.75" x 15 at WOT ~4300 GPS topped at 29MPH (rough water but was able to get directly behind another boat's wake... at a safe distance of course)
Load was exactly the same both times out: 4 peeps; 1 cooler; 12 gallons gas; 20lb anchor and chain

Let the debate begin!:D
Although that's not too much info

Oh and on a side note... the idle is a little low; Running 600 in neutral but when in gear it drops to 500ish ... did better this time out but I'm gonna have to tweak it a little

Piece715

Should I try a prop thread?

528446_4373924749724_1490290626_n.jpg
Sunset on Greer's Ferry Lake for the 4th!

Hope everyone had a happy and safe 4th!

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome pic man... great to see the beauty on the water. I would make a new prop thread as there seems to be only a few experts.

Piece715

Awesome pic man... great to see the beauty on the water. I would make a new prop thread as there seems to be only a few experts.

Thanks Carpe!

Here is my Prop Question Thread

Here is what info I have received thus far. Figured I'd post it here to see if anyone had any ideas how to check the accuracy of the tach?

What a beautiful job!
I think your tach is not accurate,reading low.Based on your numbers you can't go 29 at 4300.By the way 29 is very good with 4 aboard.
If you throw out your rpm and use the numbers with 10% slip you get 5400 at 29 mph.
At 6% slip would be about 5250. It may actually over rev with a light load.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is a switch on the back of the tach that you set for the number of pulses your stator makes per rev. The tach counts those pulses and figures your rpm. Double check the setting your tach should be at for the engine you have and make sure the tach is on that setting. I have the same engine but I have a tinytach, and don't know the settings you need. Google the engine tach setting and you'll get the answer, set the switch to that number and see what she says then.

Piece715

We adjusted that the other day while underway... well let me rephase that... my buddy adjusted the tach while underway while i was captaining. We got it to read ~5400 at WOT.... but my buddy stated it was not set on "2" which doesn't make sense to me. According to the teleflex guide it is a 10 pole 5 pulse motor...
Tach.jpg

I need to to clean the boat and charge the batteries today sooo maybe ill climb under the dash and take a look to see what's up...
Last load out on the this past Sunday posted numbers like this... 5 peeps, 1 cooler, 12 gallons gas; 20lb anchor and chain, etc.

Pushing 28-29 MPH GPS at 5300-5400 RPMs WOT.

The numbers add up. 5400,2.42 ratio,15" prop , 29 mph works out to 8% slip a reasonable number.
and an excellent speed for the load.

brewern

Cadet

Permission to come aboard captain?

Just finished reading this thread. It's been a long journey for a beautiful boat. Well done Piece!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Last load out on the this past Sunday posted numbers like this... 5 peeps, 1 cooler, 12 gallons gas; 20lb anchor and chain, etc.

Pushing 28-29 MPH GPS at 5300-5400 RPMs WOT.

This sounds about right for that motor on that boat with that load.

Piece715

Permission to come aboard captain?

Just finished reading this thread. It's been a long journey for a beautiful boat. Well done Piece!

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the read! It was a long journey but one I feel has paid off! Still kinda trucking along, as im dragging the skeg on redoing my other trailer. Got a bunch knocked out yesterday... All bunks and board carpeted and mounted just got 2 small inserts to fit and then adjustment and ready for the boat. Thanks for stopping by and posting ur kind words!

Piece715

This sounds about right for that motor on that boat with that load.

Thanks what i was thinking EZ... Does well on the water.. but u can for sure feel some chop on rough days! The rails on the outside of the hull... not rub rail but the ones near the water line (strakes maybe... the term is slipping my mind) but anyways its starting to show some chipping here and there im sure from the pounding water... any ideas how to get this to stop.. touch up paint?! I just want to get a handle on it before it destroys my work :facepalm: Im guessing since this is where it was taped when painting the tip and bottom half and the seam that is there didn't get clear thick enough

jbcurt00

Staff member

The hull sides are also subject to road debris while trailering.... But the thinner paint edge between 2 areas masked separately is a good bet too.

EGHass

Cadet

I have an 80 that is very close to yours Piece. Mine has an 80" beam and was given to me by my wife's uncle. I think he ran on a rock beach...lol but after replacing many rivets we are getting ready to put the final coat of Rust Professional White on the hull.

Like what you've done on yours