Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

OK my reply was based on the link in your ".... I think we have a problem" thread. In that thread a site was listed where the Evenrude part # 0395713 is only Refernce No. 1, the pump assmbly - not the entire conversion needed. The pic in the post immediately above shows everything you need to make the conversion (except mayby a fuel hose and the mounting screws?). I'm not sure what you ordered, but if it looks like the pic - you're good to go. :D

Todd

EDIT: As for the diaphram question: The entire pump kit shown above would probably be easier for you to install. Fuel pump diaphrams go out pretty regularly so I have some experience with replacing them. It's basically like sandwiching a gasket into the assembly housing halves. But since you're going to be using fuel/oil mix..... might as well use the pump for it (since it's ordered anyway).;)

Ok i need to call the place cuz i thought i was getting the whole pump as in the pic but as i studied the page further its talking about how .... ok hold on imma call the place and see if i can find out some info... cuz im really confused about what i ordered... not ur fault Todd im just glad u caught it... So here's another beer on me :D

EDIT: OK well i looked again and where i ordered the pump from doesn't say the part has been suspended like the linked site in that thread. I ordered the part from boats . net
So i need to see if i can find a fuel replacement fuel pump not just the assembly

Piece715

Ok well i had the order cancelled. I would rather go the route of the full pump then deal with piecing it together. BTW instant customer service chat is SOOOOOO much better than phone calls and email. So now I am looking for the full pump... I'm gonna look into the sierra aftermarket ones like the pic i posted above... Unless you think i should go a different route? Lets start fresh

So is BRP-0395713 the same thing as BRP-0438556... because they is what they were sending me when i ordered 0395713. And then they say the Sierra 18-7352 is an aftermarket replacement for BRP-0438556. So does that mean the Sierra will work for my motor... I am sooooo confused :facepalm:

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

Enough facepalming. If I were you, I would just call shipwrecked and get a used pump for $50 - 60 or less shipped next day air and get on the water this weekend. You have all the other parts coming in saturday, right? Work sat/sunday get on the water monday.

Piece715

Enough facepalming. If I were you, I would just call shipwrecked and get a used pump for $50 - 60 or less shipped next day air and get on the water this weekend. You have all the other parts coming in saturday, right? Work sat/sunday get on the water monday.

Yep the other parts will be coming in on Saturday.. at least thats what the tracking states. So I am looking for just a replacement pulse pump for the current VRO? Im guessing im confused on what all is needed

BTW Thanks Carp... I need a snap back to reality! been a long day

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Piece,

You have a few choices (at least):

1) Buy the complete pulse pump, just as the pic shows above (just ask them what you are all getting -- BOTH inlet and outlet tubes and everything inbetween, JUST as shown in the pic?). The Sierra brand pump will work fine.
2) Buy a rebuild kit for your VRO (It'll come will all the diaphrams gaskets and wear parts you need to rebuild your existing pump). I realise you don't really want to rebuld anything.
3) Carpedium's used pump recommendation (Good idea, however, I have no luck, but bad luck, with used parts like this - your luck may vary).
4) Buy a new VRO (too expensive, and you don't even need the oil injection, anymore)

BTW - it looks like the cover on the pulse pump can be swiveled in any direction (before tightening down) so you may still be able to use all your existing hoses. (I'm mentioning this because it may arrive already 'tight' and will need to be loosend first to swivel.)

I agree, OVERNIGHT IT and get this puppy on the water this weekend! :):)

Todd

Piece715

Can someone follow me here. I think I may know what part I may need just need confirmation. The part i need is BRP 0395713 but i want to replace the whole pump just not the assembly. Well that part was replaced by BRP-0438556 which I feel is just the fuel pump assembly as well. According to what I can find the Sierra 18-7352 is an aftermarket replacement for BRP-0438556. All the pictures i found of it are of the whole pump.... Is this correct or is this just gonna be just the assembly as well? Will this fit my motor?

Piece715

I found the pump, Sierra 18-7352, but i was hoping to get it overnighted from somewhere so i could be on the water this weekend but even iboats over night wont get here till tues. (which doesn't make sense as its $46 and then ground gets here weds and is $10)

Even amazon cant get it here until the 31st with next day shipping

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Piece, I've been through all this with my old VRO 90. The easiest pump to use is an OMC 0385784, which may well be the same as the pump you have found. These 3 hose pumps were used on a LOT of OMC pre VRO engines. The pump assembly in the description is the entire pump, sells for around $80 which is cheaper than the VRO rebuild kit, or the fuel side only VRO rebuild kit that is available. You hook the pulse hose to one fitting, the line from the tank to another and the line to the carb to the output.

The key to all this is that you get the 3 hose pump, pulse line to one hose, fuel line from tank to another, fuel line from pump to carb on another.

The pump I listed is the stock number for a 1972 50 hp. You have to go back to before they mounted them on the block. Find a dealer or call Sierra and tell them what you need. The pump has adequate output for OMC motors from 20 to 140 HP. I am running this pump on my 1976 55 Johnny and it works fine. I had one on my 1985 90 when I sold it.

I'm gonna run the numbers you put up through another site and see what they look like.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Piece, if you have to use the pulse hose the sierra you list will not work, it is designed to screw to the side of the block. If you can bolt it to the block it will be OK. I ran the number I gave and it is superceded about 4 times to a new number.

Part replaced by 0395712
Unavailable
Part replaced by 0398385
Unavailable
Part replaced by 0433390
Unavailable
Part replaced by 0438559

I will stop and look at the current Sierra catalog and get the current number for you tomorrow, sorry I didn't see this sooner. If you have a boat guy around you can stop and see if he has the three hose housing and buy a rebuild kit for it, they are all the same as the regular pump that bolts to the block, they just have holes in different places. I'm sorry bro, what is the model and hp of your motor, I forget.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=405585

I found this old thread with a response from tashasdaddy (RIP), be assured that he knew of what he spoke.

Pulse hose use the BRP 0438559 number, block mount your sierra is good.

I will still check on the sierra number tomorrow, I'd really like to see a pic of the BRP pump, I could tell you if it will work.

Edit:
I went to the boats . net sight and entered the 559 number then clicked on one of the motors it is used on and there is the blow up. Look at the lower illustration. This is a 3 hose pump and would be a plug and play replacement for your VRO pump. Iboats won't allow a link to that sight (I don't blame them) or I'd post the link. The pump assembly is the entire pump. Since this pump was used well into the 90's a Johnny/Rude dealer would probably have one $$$$$$$$$$$$$ if you have to get on the water this weekend.

Second edit: I am sure you are premixing already but you will have to forever after you install this pump. I also looked all over here at iboats and can't find the 559 pump in that or any of it's previous numbers. I guess they don't carry it ??? which doesn't seem right considering all the motors it is used on.

Piece715

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=405585

I found this old thread with a response from tashasdaddy (RIP), be assured that he knew of what he spoke.

Pulse hose use the BRP 0438559 number, block mount your sierra is good.

I will still check on the sierra number tomorrow, I'd really like to see a pic of the BRP pump, I could tell you if it will work.

Edit:
I went to the boats . net sight and entered the 559 number then clicked on one of the motors it is used on and there is the blow up. Look at the lower illustration. This is a 3 hose pump and would be a plug and play replacement for your VRO pump. Iboats won't allow a link to that sight (I don't blame them) or I'd post the link. The pump assembly is the entire pump. Since this pump was used well into the 90's a Johnny/Rude dealer would probably have one $$$$$$$$$$$$$ if you have to get on the water this weekend.

Second edit: I am sure you are premixing already but you will have to forever after you install this pump. I also looked all over here at iboats and can't find the 559 pump in that or any of it's previous numbers. I guess they don't carry it ??? which doesn't seem right considering all the motors it is used on.

Wow! You did some work Imuss! So its sounding like i need to go with the BRP 438559 pump. Sounds like the easiest application; just remove the VRO and attach the new pump. Ill call around today to see if anyone stocks that pump. It'd be great to be on the water this weekend. Im willing to eat the extra 20-30 bucks if it means fun in the sun on memorial day!

EDIT: Oh and my motor is 1985 Evinrude 50 model E50BLECOB

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yikes,

I googled that BRP part & $75 from ebay w/ free shipping..... The other 4 online places were $105+ after shipping.......

Hope you can find it local & cheaper. All & all I don't guess $75-100 would keep me off the water... but that's what, 3 gallons of gas at the marina pumps on Memorial Day weekend:eek:

Pulling for ya to get the new pump, get it installed, and get the rig loaded up & trailered to a boat ramp near you this weekend....

Piece715

Yikes,

I googled that BRP part & $75 from ebay w/ free shipping..... The other 4 online places were $105+ after shipping.......

Hope you can find it local & cheaper. All & all I don't guess $75-100 would keep me off the water... but that's what, 3 gallons of gas at the marina pumps on Memorial Day weekend:eek:

Pulling for ya to get the new pump, get it installed, and get the rig loaded up & trailered to a boat ramp near you this weekend....

I feel ya curt! But it needs to be replaced anyway. Really not wanting to do a patch job sooo the pump it is. Most places seem like its gonna be 1 Franklin for pump and normal shipping. The closest BRP parts store doesn't open until 8:30 this morning so Ill give them a call and see if they have the pump. If they do I'll pic it up at lunch today ;) Unless someone chimes in to despite Imuss' find... which i doubt seeing the research he did... but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong

Piece715

AHHHH!!!! I'M LIKE A KID IN A CANDY STORE!!!!

Called Art's Marine... which is just down the road from work.... AND THEY HAVE ONE PUMP IN STOCK!!! It's $116.63 which is only about 20 bucks more than buying online... NOW KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED THAT IT'S STILL THERE WHEN I GET OFF FOR LUNCH!

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BACK ON SCHEDULE!

Want my credit card number to hold it? :D

You gotta take a picture of this pump. I'm lost now (3 hose connections?).

Good luck.

Todd

Piece715

BACK ON SCHEDULE!

Want my credit card number to hold it? :D

You gotta take a picture of this pump. I'm lost now (3 hose connections?).

Good luck.

Todd

Since i am replacing the whole VRO pump i need all the inlets and outlets plus the pusle. The sierra should work if i could attach it to the block somehow, but this pump it is a 3 line pump, pulse(power) line, inlet and outlet lines. So I'm guessing that's what makes it a plug and play replacement. Not entirely sure on it but i did come across a couple of threads where people were asking about the sierra and the same answer always came across that the sierra is only 2 lines and that they would need a 3 line.

Here is the online picture thumbnail.asp.jpegI hope its the answer im looking for... Oh and just called the shop back and they are holding it for me!!! YAY! Now's the time to debate whether or not this is the right pump :D Guess ill find out soon enough

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have 3 hoses on your current VRO then this is the pump you need (I can't tell in your video). I know my 2 stroke OB gets its pulses from the crankcase by being bolted directly to (a hole in) the block, so it only needs two hoses (fuel in and fuel out). Should be an easy swap for you.

We're all counting on seeing a pic of it floating this weekend! :) No pressure or anything.:D

Todd

Piece715

If you have 3 hoses on your current VRO then this is the pump you need (I can't tell in your video). I know my 2 stroke OB gets its pulses from the crankcase by being bolted directly to (a hole in) the block, so it only needs two hoses (fuel in and fuel out). Should be an easy swap for you.

We're all counting on seeing a pic of it floating this weekend! :) No pressure or anything.:D

Todd

Lets see i have an inlet, outlet , and then oil. The oil is plugged then outlet is split three ways: one going to each carb and then to the crankcase. So with the three hose one the outlet will have to be split into two to go to each carb and then one dedicated to the crank. It sounds right in my head but it may not be.... I think the thing is my motor isn't a block mount hence why i need the 3... and the Sierra is a block mount

Piece715

Ok went and picked up the fuel pump at lunch... $125 with tax not too shabby... I explained to the guy that was helping me what I was doing and he stated this should work fine for that... Although he didn't know the motor but anyways... I'm gonna give it a best effort but here is the pics of the pump

photo(8).jpg photo(7).jpg

Piece715

The pump came with no instructions... Im guessing the black nipple is the inlet and then the two brass are the outlets. One to crankcase and then the other spilt going to each carb... That sound right?