No announcement yet.

Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Finished bow seating and sub woofer box/mount... well ish... still need to do the nose piece and finding it difficult because of the bend... any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	7030119
    sigpic

My 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 Fish n Ski Resto https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=291903

Comment

Kerf the back ends of a couple sheets of 1/4" luan & make a form to 'pre-bend' a multiple sheet layup of the bow piece. Once you apply glue (gorilla glue would probably be best) and bend them to fit, let them stay in the form until well cured. Then cover w/ foam & upholster as necessary. A vertical seam in the center of the curve may make it easier to fit the vinyl to the contour. Or completely spraying the foam & vinyl w/ contact adhesive to help it take & hold the shape of the curve. Then install the bow piece as you have the others.

You may be able to cover the bow area w/ plastic & use the existing bow area as the form, it looks like you may be able to clamp the kerf'd ply across the bow to the rubrails.
      Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

Originally posted by jbcurt00 View Post
        Kerf the back ends of a couple sheets of 1/4" luan & make a form to 'pre-bend' a multiple sheet layup of the bow piece. Once you apply glue (gorilla glue would probably be best, but avail to you?) and bend them to fit, let them stay in the form until well cured. Then cover w/ foam & upholster as necessary. A vertical seam in the center of the curve may make it easier to fit the vinyl to the contour. Or completely spraying the foam & vinyl w/ contact adhesive to help it take & hold the shape of the curve. Then install the bow piece as you have the others.

You may be able to cover the bow area w/ plastic & use the existing bow area as the form, it looks like you may be able to clamp the kerf'd ply across the bow to the rubrails.
        Thanks for the info Jbcurt! Ill do some reading on it... i have the general idea what ya mean but getting the wood to bend in the mold is confusing me. I guess that wood needs to be kerfed too due to the fact that i can't push it into place; the angle of the bend is just too sharp. Know of any thread where someone has performed this that i can read through?
        sigpic

My 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 Fish n Ski Resto https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=291903

Comment

Yes the shallow cuts spaced evenly on the back will allow the ply to bend into a radius that it wouldn't otherwise conform to. It also gives you extra glue surface area between the sheets. The end of that panel has some pretty tight radiuses, you may do better to look for bendable ply. It is made specifically for this purpose, but is also more expensive. It would however be much easier to work w/ & definitely would conform to that radius.

Try these to eHow-to sites:

Bending Ply w/ steam or kerfs

Bending w/out steam

I'm not sure what you mean about the mold, but yes you are on the right track w/ the Kerfs. The molds would be a form that matches what your bow shape is that you need to fit the bent ply too. Here is a quick mockup of a 2part mold, it's not a good match to your actual bow shape, but you should get the idea:

Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

Awesome jbcurt! That actually clears it up for me! Appreciate it!
            sigpic

Comment

More work done! Man do I hate drilling through plexiglass... very nerve racking! But finished the dash panels and installed them. Must say I think they came out well for a homemade job Gonna tackle running the steering and last little odds and ends this week. Ordered side vent handles as the originals were all dry rotted... at 20 bucks a pop hope the ones i ordered will work. Last task will be the wiring which i think is becoming more clear... we'll see! Enjoy the pics!

Name:	Completed Dashes.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	7030847

Name:	Dash install.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	7030848

Name:	Passenger Dash.jpg
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	7030850

Name:	Driver dash tach and throttle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	7030849

Name:	Steering wheel.jpg
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	7030851
              sigpic

Comment

So opinions needed... When doing a dual battery set up do I want to go for a cranking battery and a deep cycle vs two deep cycle batteries vs some other setup? I'm pretty sure i have seen a wide range of different spreads here on the forums. If ya could list some pros/cons of each. Thanks
                sigpic

Comment

Dashes look great.

I'd go cranking battery and deep cycle. Deep cycles aren't meant for quick discharge/continuous recharge like starting batteries are and starting batteries aren't meant to be run down completely running your stereo.
                  2002 20' Hydra-Sports 202DC 200HP Yamaha HPDI
                  1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
                  Restoration thread https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767

Comment

Originally posted by ezmobee View Post
                    Dashes look great.

I'd go cranking battery and deep cycle. Deep cycles aren't meant for quick discharge/continuous recharge like starting batteries are and starting batteries aren't meant to be run down completely running your stereo.
                    Thanks EZ! Those puppies were time consuming!

As for the batteries thats what I was thinking as well just always like to hear opinions. I finished up the splashwell area and fit my 2 6 gallon outboard tanks... definitely no room for batteries in there so it looks like im going the expensive long run of wire for batteries in the bow seats. On the plus side it will distribute the weight in the boat fairly well.
                    sigpic

Comment

You have done a really fine job on your boat! Impresive to say the least. Keep up the good work
                      87 Four Winns 210 Horizon 350 Merc/Alpha 1

Resto Thread 210 Horizon https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=458229

Comment

Ok im in the process of buying wire. Going with 2 six gallon tanks the splashwell is filled. The 12 gallon tank would not fit in the splashwell. This situation has forced me to move the batteries to the bow seating one in front of each console. The question is what gauge wiring will work for this set up? I know people don't recommend this set up but i have no other choice and it will distribute weight well. The run im guess would be around 12 feet and that is prob an over estimation. I am not sure how many amps the starter draws either. The motor is a 50hp Evinrude model E50 BELCO. Now the set up includes a blue seas fuse block and a battery switch.

This is the run down of the wiring as im seeing it; Just need confirmation or ideas for better set up. The runs will be from battery to battery switch (2-3 foot run), from battery switch to fuse block (1-2 foot run), the direct run for the battery to motor is about 12 feet.

The cranking battery will be run in parallel to the deep cycle. The batteries will then be wired to the switch like so Click image for larger version

Name:	StandardBatterySwitchWiring.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	7032292.
                        All loads will be wired to the COM which will be the engine and the fuse block. Does the negative in the picture going from engine to bat 1 also do this in my set up and then a neg wire run from neg bat post to fuse block?? guess confused how to incorporate the fuse block and switch. The positive will go from COM on isolator switch to positive on fuse block with a master power toggle switch in line like so Click image for larger version

Name:	InstrumentPanelWiring.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	7032293. How would stereo work into this? Would i want to run it through the fuse block or just wire directly to batteries as the system requires inline fuses from batt to amp.

OK i think im confusing myself. SOMEONE please help

I know this was a large post. If ya need clarification on my thoughts please ask. Im needing recommendations, suggestions, diagrams, etc. I have saved all the stickies in the electrical section and know what gauge wire I need for everything except the long run of battery wire. Guess the other main question is a general run down of wiring all the components: dual batteries, an isolator switch, fuse block, and amplified sound system. Thus concludes my jumbled novel! thank u will be here all night !

EDIT: Just had a moment of clarity. Im guessing the audio system would be wired to the COM port for positive with the ground running to the fuse block? The positive will still have an inline 50 amp fuse as recommended for the amp. This sound correct?
                        sigpic

Comment

Ok just got back from looking at the boat. It looks like the 12 feet is pretty much the run of the engine to batteries. Also the two batteries will need a 6-7 foot run between them to run in parallel.. This possible? I understand the + end of the wiring now that i have looked at the wiring diagrams for the two pieces but still confused on the ground set up and the wiring of the amp into this set up.

Here are the pics of the installation instructions on the fuse block and isolator switch:
                          (for some reason iboats isnt letting me post any pics right now so as soon as that is fixed ill post em)
                          sigpic

Comment

Weird! Looks like i falsely accused iboats.... My other computer that I was using last night and this morning won't allow me to post any pics it just errors; even in photobucket. Oh well here are those two pics finally

Name:	photo(2).JPG
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	7032333

The switch according to installation instructions recommends 4/0 AWG per terminal. Will this be enough despite the long runs?

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	7032334
                            sigpic

Comment

I posted the wiring questions in the electrical forum... getting some thing ironed out before I start. I am going to try to make a wiring diagram today and post it here and there for final critiquing... Wish me luck!
                              sigpic

Comment

Re: Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Ok well here is my first attempt at a wiring schematic for the boat. I have this posted in the electronic forum as well. I am posting it here in case one of the experts stumbles across it. I know there are errors; please help me out its the last phase of the boat before i get it on the water. I will post the pic, an attachment if you need to blow it up and then the link to the other thread:
                                http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=539613

Name:	Sea_Nymph_wiring_diagram.jpg
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	7032485
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X