Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

I suppose since it has to be located up near the bow, and that area is gold colored, I would be leaning towards red letters with black out line...I think it would provide a nice contrast and work with the boats custom paint...

Thats what i was leaning towards... Came across this one last night but again how "funky" can i get :rolleyes:

photo.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

If anything, take some samples with you when you go to the DMV to register it and show the supervisor what you have...or maybe even email somebody at the DMV and ask...Like they say it doesn't hurt to ask...just be prepared to spaend several hours or days either route you take...remember, unlike IBoats, where we are flexible and freely give out ideas and suggestions, we are dealing with the Goobermint...:facepalm:

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

I was doing some searching last night on ebay and there are tons of different styles. Now the question is when they say BLOCK lettering do they mean just the plain ugly letters for can it be a funky font BLOCK... that make sense?

Block lettering is just that, BLOCK. You may get away with a slant or slightly balooned, but not as funky as the pic you put up. LOL As long as they can read them, they probably wont say too much though.

Where the paint is mostly gold up on the bow, Id think a white outlined gold lettering would be great.

Piece715

Soooo 25% of the boat is wired and the rest of the supplies are on their way. No pictures but the stern light, bow light, bilge pump, CMC wiring harness, tach harness, and some of the switches are ran, crimped, and heat shrinked. Props to Greg's Marine Wire Supply for their prompt service! Forgot a part of my current order, wrote an email, and they added it and waved shipping costs. Great customer service!

On a slightly bitter note... Been looking for my original manual to my Evinrude and well its no where to be found!!!!!:mad: AHHHHH.... It's got to be somewhere in the house or the garage where the boat is but in the chance that I can't find it what would be the recommended cold cranking amps for my motor (Evinrude 50 hp E50BELCO). I know 5150af has my same motor so I'll PM him if I don't get any responses... sooo yep battery recommendations like the 42 million threads out there on it :facepalm: I'm sorry!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

ANY marine starting battery will be fine for that motor. I bought a ridiculously huge one for my motor cuz it was on sale at BassPro and now the thing spins like you wouldn't believe :p

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am also looking at registration number/letter options.

Looks like this guy on ebay does both sides for $10

Remember you need to have a space between each letter or number - well at least in my state you do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Regist...ar&hash=item414f32195d&vxp=mtr#ht_1552wt_1084

I was thinking that V E R D A N A would be "blocky" enough. I'm going jet black, so my application is a little different though.

Piece715

I am also looking at registration number/letter options.

Looks like this guy on ebay does both sides for $10

Remember you need to have a space between each letter or number - well at least in my state you do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Regist...ar&hash=item414f32195d&vxp=mtr#ht_1552wt_1084

I was thinking that V E R D A N A would be "blocky" enough. I'm going jet black, so my application is a little different though.

I'm guessing VERDANA is the name of ur boat? Remember the registration number is going to be assigned to you by the DMV. For instance here in Arkansas the rule is as follows:
Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen:
?AR 3717 ZW?, ?AR-3717-ZW?, ?AR 123 ABC? or ?AR-123-ABC?.

So the BLOCK lettering that goes on the bow is the boat registration number not the name you have for your boat. The name you can make in any font and put it anywhere ya wont. Most tradition place is somewhere on the stern.

Im just going on Arkansas standards... Not sure your state so unsure of the rules

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm guessing VERDANA is the name of ur boat? Remember the registration number is going to be assigned to you by the DMV. For instance here in Arkansas the rule is as follows:
Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen:
“AR 3717 ZW”, “AR-3717-ZW”, “AR 123 ABC” or “AR-123-ABC”.

So the BLOCK lettering that goes on the bow is the boat registration number not the name you have for your boat. The name you can make in any font and put it anywhere ya wont. Most tradition place is somewhere on the stern.

Im just going on Arkansas standards... Not sure your state so unsure of the rules

No, Verdana is the font style based on the options in the link that I posted.

Piece715

Ok so while im bored waiting to get off work lets see if I can get some help. I need to find a way to hide my professional looking beautiful 14awg heat shrinked wiring that is being installed by a pretty savvy fellow i know... ok ok its just me putting it in... anyways back to the point. There is factory foam still behind the gunnels, not waterlogged, and isn't a simple just pull it out job. How have others hidden their wires. I know the usual zip ties and mountable wire holder tabs but i have nothing to mount to unless i drill through the aluminum gunnel and into the back of the coaming pads. Which i guess is possible if i can find a really tiny screw... well just throw out your suggestions. How have ya done it in the past?

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok so while im bored waiting to get off work lets see if I can get some help. I need to find a way to hide my professional looking beautiful 14awg heat shrinked wiring that is being installed by a pretty savvy fellow i know... ok ok its just me putting it in... anyways back to the point. There is factory foam still behind the gunnels, not waterlogged, and isn't a simple just pull it out job. How have others hidden their wires. I know the usual zip ties and mountable wire holder tabs but i have nothing to mount to unless i drill through the aluminum gunnel and into the back of the coaming pads. Which i guess is possible if i can find a really tiny screw... well just throw out your suggestions. How have ya done it in the past?

I contemplated the same thing for a while. My Gunnels are also filled with foam. Based on the foam I installed, (and presumably you too) there is enough floatation between my floor and splash well to make the boat inherently buoyant. My plan is to remove the foam by cutting it out with my supersized box cutter and run them up inside the gunnel. I plan to attach them with zippies looped around aluminum "j hook" brackets that i am going to make out of some of the scrap AL I have left over. These will then be secured to the inside of the gunnel with SS rivets for a clean look. When the harness/steering cable/throttle/shift cables need to be accessed, just reach up and push the whole cable bundel up a few inches to unhook from the aluminum hooks.

Easy access, secure - and all but the rivets will be hidden.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have the same foam in the same gunwales and the same wiring issues. The problem with pulling the existing foam is that it is supporting the gunwale. My foam is out in the port side and the gunwale is loose as can be when you sit or lean on it. That foam will have to go back in eventually I am pretty certain.

I am going to try to squeeze a piece of pvc tubing in on top of the lip that holds the foam in and zip tie it in place to run wires through. I'll drill small holes about a foot apart to run zip ties through.

I'll try to post a pic when I do it.

EDIT:

I like carpedium's idea of getting everything up out if the way. I'm thinking I will pull the foam and run everything through a 3 inch pvc pipe and re-poor the foam when we flip it to paint in November.

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

lmuss, my gunwales have horizontal supports that are riveted directly from the hull to the interior portion of the gunwale (that you would lean on). There are about 4-5 per side, and the foam is installed above them. Must have been something they added?

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the PVC pipe idea though, I think i'll do that for mine as well.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Mine has conduit fasteners/clamps attatched to the underside lip of the gunnels, and the wiring rests in the clamps. You should have a lip under your gunnels too.

Adding a piece of pvc on top of the clamps would make this more neat and clean. (gives me an idea for my boat - THANKS)

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lmuss, my gunwales have horizontal supports that are riveted directly from the hull to the interior portion of the gunwale (that you would lean on). There are about 4-5 per side, and the foam is installed above them. Must have been something they added?

Nice, but no such thing on my '83 model. Nothing holds the foam in but a 1/2 inch lip on the bottom of the gunwale.

The guy I'm working with suggested just such a support and since SN did it a few years later I think I'll just go ahead and put them every 3 feet or so. I'll pop rivet them through the bottom row of trim and the hull, keep them up in the gunwale a couple of inches and zip tie the conduit and steering cable to the bottom of them. I have 12 feet of 2x1/8 aluminum flat stock that would just about be perfect for those supports. I'll put a 2 inch long 90 degree bend on each end (to keep them up inside the gunwale) and pop rivet them through the trim and hull. I'm not worried about flotation either so if they stabilize the gunwale I'll not mess with the foam later.

Thanks for the ideas guys, that's what makes this sight so valuable to folks doing projects like ours.

Piece715

My set up and is just like yalls; Foam in the gunnels with the 1/2 inch lip at the bottom holding it; and its the white Styrofoam stuff not pour foam like the rest of the boat. I like the idea of the brackets with the pop rivets but unfortuantely im a little past that stage and it would be feasible to add especially through the hull. Ill prob go with the conduit brackets with/without pvc pipe. Guess we'll see which works best. The majority of the parts ordered should be to me by Friday so hopefully I can tame the masses with some pics this weekend. The work space looks like a nuclear explosion btw.... during the final sprint to splash work space organization has gone waayy out the window