Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

How would be the best way to figure this out? Ill do a search to see if i could find some info on this... Ill try to take some pics when i go look at it too

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

How would be the best way to figure this out? Ill do a search to see if i could find some info on this... Ill try to take some pics when i go look at it too

Well you dont want too much trailer sticking out beyond your transom, or it will be a bee-otch to load up at the ramp. I suppose if you backed in deeper it would be better, but then centering is a pain without contact with your end bunks/rollers. You also want the right tongue weight too so it tows right.

All trailers are different as far as weight and balance. You just need to figure if that trailer will work out for you. Measuring everything out is the 1st step. The thing looks a bit long to me.

Piece715

I did do a bunch of measuring and it turned out to be way too wide... I am starting to go over my current trailer... the PO did a bunch of modifications on it and I believe its only two welds holding that winch in place... I may be able to cut them out and then move the winch towards the tongue enough to get the transom supported. The tongue weight right now is literally like 20lbs if that... Got to do something

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Well if your tongue weight is that light.... yeah. LOL

I can lift up the hitch on mine ok, but theres gotta be 125 - 150 pounds there. I can move the boat around the driveway by hand. (to a point)

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Hey where did you get your steering cable boot?

It is new, right?

Piece715

Nope it sure isn't... I just cleaned up the old one and remounted. It had some old paint splashed all over it but it just cleaned up with soap, water and a brush.

Do you think that moving the boat forward about about foot/foot and half will balance the boat ok... or will it still be light?

Piece715

Ok wiring is about to be underway... I ordered one of these last night; decided on the 12 rather than 6 fuse block just in case i wanted to add stuff later down the road and heck it was only 5 dollars more.... Again the list of switches I was leaning towards: Master Power; Stereo; Nav lights; Anchor lights; Horn; Interior lights; Bilge pump; Sprayer bar; Trim switch

31+zWWd6qlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Found a local place that sells marine grade wiring... Now do i want AWG 14 or 12? I'm leaning towards 12 just to be safe... Its gonna be a two battery system; one cranking battery for engine only and one deep cycle for everything else... so ill need a battery switch, wiring for stereo, power cables... What type of connections will be needed? any special shrink wrap, crimpers, etc? I understand that u need to identify the total current in wires if everything was on at once to determine AWG but identifying what each part puts out (such as bow light, stern light, bilge etc) im not quite sure of. If you have already tackled this phase any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

It will most certainly balance it out if you have the room.

You might not need to go that far to get the correct weight, but youre looking to get the trailer back farther anyways. Too much tongue weight isnt good either, but if you can find a happy medium it should be alot better than before.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Ok wiring is about to be underway... I ordered one of these last night; decided on the 12 rather than 6 fuse block just in case i wanted to add stuff later down the road and heck it was only 5 dollars more.... Again the list of switches I was leaning towards: Master Power; Stereo; Nav lights; Anchor lights; Horn; Interior lights; Bilge pump; Sprayer bar; Trim switch

View attachment 104522

Found a local place that sells marine grade wiring... Now do i want AWG 14 or 12? I'm leaning towards 12 just to be safe... Its gonna be a two battery system; one cranking battery for engine only and one deep cycle for everything else... so ill need a battery switch, wiring for stereo, power cables... What type of connections will be needed? any special shrink wrap, crimpers, etc? I understand that u need to identify the total current in wires if everything was on at once to determine AWG but identifying what each part puts out (such as bow light, stern light, bilge etc) im not quite sure of. If you have already tackled this phase any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I would use 12AWG for everything just to have peace of mind. You should be fine with the 12. Your amp will obviously have a larger guage. If you run LED interior lights, they can be 14AWG or even 16AWG.
The main power to your panel should be 1/0 or even 3/0 if you want real overkill.

I just twisted my wires together and black taped them, but Im not looking for perfection. LOL You could shrink wrap them for a better seal, or use liquid tape. (thats what I would use)

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Go LED wherever you can for lighting, it uses a fraction of the amperage.

Piece715

The twisting of wires and black tape method sounds just perfect for me... thanks for the suggestions Bouttime. I was looking at wiring and I actually think greg's marine is cheaper than my local place... Ill get 50' of wiring for almost the same price as 18' locally... GEEZ :eek:

Also if I have one of these.... 31+zWWd6qlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg .... I won't need a master power switch correct?

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

The twisting of wires and black tape method sounds just perfect for me... thanks for the suggestions Bouttime. I was looking at wiring and I actually think greg's marine is cheaper than my local place... Ill get 50' of wiring for almost the same price as 18' locally... GEEZ :eek:

Also if I have one of these.... View attachment 104529 .... I won't need a master power switch correct?

Not 100% sure, but Id say thats all you need.

Dont know what you had planned for subs, but I just saw these on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Marine-8-60...9249168?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item43a8780e90

Its nothing epic, but I bet it would fit nicely somewhere in our cramped-for-space Nymphs.

Piece715

Here is the stereo equipment I went with... The boat is gonna be no performer so I wanted it to look and sound good... kinda splurged on the equipment but oh well its paid for and in the past :rolleyes:

Head unit: Clarion CMD6 Marine CD/MP3/WMA Receiver with USB Port
headunit.jpg
Speakers: (4) JL Audio coax speakers (M650-CCX-CG-WH)
11974.jpg
Subwoofer: JL Audio 10in infinite baffle (M10IB5-CG-WH)
12608.jpg
Amp: JL Audio M600/6 600W 3/4/5/6 Channel Amplifier

13669.jpg

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Nice system, should sound sweet.

Ive got an older Clarion M55 with Polk DB521s and Pioneer 6.5s. The Polks are the best sounding little speakers Ive ever heard in my life. Gonna replace the Pioneers with 6.5 Polks at some point because they have way better bass.

Piece715

Yeah i hear the toss up for marine speaker is between the polks, infinity, and JL's. I'm hoping it sounds good! Guess ill find out. Did u install ur set up urself? do you have an amp or just running straight from headunit? I know the car stuff uses harness and all that jazz wondering if its different for a boat.... Hmmmmm

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

I hooked it all up myself.

No amp as of yet, may get one later. Its plenty loud right now though.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Congrats on the splash!!! Got pics?

I have Ploks in my kitchen and size for size the beat out the Bose. Much better base.

Piece715

No splash as of yet... but should be soon! Got to wire her up and finish some odds and ends! I'll definitely be putting pics up... i mean it has been 3 years in the making

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry about that...Bouttime had the splash, my mistake. Looking forward to yours.