How to remove aluminum oxidation?

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer
My window frames are beginning to get these little spots of what looks like oxidation. Does not come off with soap and water or my finger nail. How can I fix this?

Thanks!!

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: How to remove aluminum oxidation?

Sand it with 320 grit open coat then hit it with a green (color matters) scotch brite pad followed by aluminum polish. After that keep it polished and you won't have the problem again.

reelfishin

Captain

Be careful, if the frames are anodized, and you sand and polish them, then your committed to keeping them polished from then on. You may be able to use some very light steel wool and lightly rub away the polish, if done right will do the least amount of damage to what's left of the anodized coating. Not all are anodized but most that I have here are.

You could also clean the aluminum, prime it with self etching primer and zinc chromate and paint it the color of your choice? Flat black, silver, white, etc.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I usually start with the least destructive thing and move up till I get it as you have.

Try some super fine steel wool first, shouldn't hurt anodizing but I don't think it is anodized or it wouldn't be corroding, if that doesn't get it move to 600 sandpaper, make sure you work in a straight line, it will look alot better than random swirls and when you get it off throw a coat of wax on it.

Good luck.

lmannyr

How do I know if it's anodized?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

How do I know if it's anodized?

It is. It would have vanished by now with salt water if it was not!

Best suggestion is clean it up with polishing compound (lightly) and wax it.

You could go to the next level of clear coating it but it really is now worth it. When it does tarnish it is actually protecting itself.

lmannyr

Dam...Sounds like I need to remove the windshield to do this the right way. Bummer. This will be on my to do list.

Just out of curiosity, what will it cost to have anodized again, roughly?

Thanks!!

willyrocket

Seaman

I dont think I would use steel wool on ally. Maybe go for some sandpaper first. Steel wool may leave steel shavings behind in the aluminum, causing rust also............

Surfdancer

Seaman

Simple solution...

Remove the windshield frame from the boat.

Remove the glass.

Take the frame to a powder coater and have it blasted and coated in the color of your choice.

That's the plan for mine :D

The price I was quoted was $130, including bead blasting.

lmannyr

Thats what I was thinking. What kind of shop is doing your work?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Ya know, it may just be calcium deposits. Have your tried soaking a rag in 50/50 vinegar and water and then laying it on it overnight. If it is calcium it will be gone if not then you're probably right about it being corrosion.
Test it on an inconspicuous place first to make sure it doesn't turn the aluminum black. It its anodized it shouldn't.

drewpster

Commander

Powder coating is a great idea. I plan to do the same with my frames. I had some other pieces already done and the stuff is very durable. I went the polish.... polish again in a month....and polish again until I am tired of it route. Mine are getting coated.

I found my powder coater through work. But they are in the phone book. I found it to be a fairly common trade locally. Very reasonably priced as well, considering what I have to pay my orthopedist to fix my worn out elbows.

projecthog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Simple solution...

Remove the windshield frame from the boat.

Remove the glass.

Take the frame to a powder coater and have it blasted and coated in the color of your choice.

That's the plan for mine :D

The price I was quoted was $130, including bead blasting.

Annodizing is just another form of electroplating and puts a hard transparent (or colored) coating on your piece and is not perfect, just convenient long enough to satisfy the first owner and maybe the second one. (much like chrome does.)

Sanding, rubbing and polishing are all contrary to its purpose of protecting.
If you are going to try to get rid of pitting or early stage corrosion under the annodizing, you will most likely cause there to be such a difference in looks, that you will not want the rest of the annodizing to be there when you are done.
Be careful as to who you allow to do the bead blasting and check their work, as bead blasting is also another method of expanding or stressing the surface of your work piece and especially so on softer materials like aluminum, and could leave your item uselessly bent or elongated if not done right.
Take care,
PH.

willyrocket

Seaman

Possibly one more thing to think about powdercoating is this, if it chips, you cant really touch it up..... but they can do some pretty cool colors with PC........