Wellcraft Excel 1992 18sx

Status
Not open for further replies.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wellcraft Excel 1992 18sx

I had a little bit of time to work before the pens game so i did some minor work.. I drilled the transom holes for the transom shield and the drain plug.
I had to make sure that the 6 holes were all perfectly parallel and perfectly perpendicular to the transom. So i built a a rig to keep the drill perpendicular to the transom and keep the drill from shifting left and right. They sell a "special tool" to do this but my rig worked great.

P4020037.jpg

I test fit the transom shield and pefect fit. So i removed the shield and coated all the new holes with resin low kick style to soak into the transom wood. Then i drilled out the drain plug.

P4020030.jpg

Then i drilled a drain groove into the bottom of the transom opening as you can see in the photo below. Filed it out so this will prevent water from sitting on the bottom of the transom opening. this wasnt there before and one of the more rotted areas. Then i second coated the entire bilge area.

P4020031.jpg

jcsercsa

Captain

OHHH MAn in your second pick why did you put that Big hole there ??? hahaha looks good there Justin ,

Wing's won so who's next ??? lol Keep up the good work !! John

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

yeah i figured i would just fill that big hole with some marine tex and you can come sand it all smooth.. lol..

yes i know your wings finished up their series.. for some reason the pens let philly make it 2 to 3.. we should have put them away.. oh well until saturday.
hockey is getting in the way of finishing this boat up.. lol..

jcsercsa

Captain

yeah i figured i would just fill that big hole with some marine tex and you can come sand it all smooth.. lol..

yes i know your wings finished up their series.. for some reason the pens let philly make it 2 to 3.. we should have put them away.. oh well until saturday.
hockey is getting in the way of finishing this boat up.. lol..

There saying it could be a week before we play again , its good cause Ossy looked like he was hurt !!! John

Ps I Dont Even Think SO with the tex !!! lol

zach103

Commander

so i just read thru this thread.. nice work. i envy it :) .. how much resin have you used so far.. and how much for the first layer of glass on the whole deck?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Nice work. I like that jig that you built, hope you don't mind if I steal your idea - I'm only a few days behind you.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

so i just read thru this thread.. nice work. i envy it :) .. how much resin have you used so far.. and how much for the first layer of glass on the whole deck?

Thanks for the good words
i bought 15 gallons for the project. At this point i have about 4 gallons left. i think i used about 2 gallons on the deck..

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Nice work. I like that jig that you built, hope you don't mind if I steal your idea - I'm only a few days behind you.

nope, i dont mind.. hope it works out for you!

Let's get on the water quick!!

Robj

Lieutenant

Thanks for the good words
i bought 15 gallons for the project. At this point i have about 4 gallons left. i think i used about 2 gallons on the deck..

Looking Good!! Yep you sure use that resin fast. Unfortunately the estimate I gave you will probably be short by the time you coat all the other wood and glass it in. Oh well, that is the way she goes. I am picking up my boat from the upholsterers on Monday or Tuesday and will get you those measurements. And what about the Canucks, 4 straight. They have IMO one of the best if not the best goalie out there.

Have a great day

Rob.

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nope, i dont mind.. hope it works out for you!

Let's get on the water quick!!

Wow, I just stumbled across this thread, WOW man awesome work. Your really doing excellent work with that boat. Well just wanted to say hi, and kudos on a great job thus far.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

And what about the Canucks, 4 straight. They have IMO one of the best if not the best goalie out there.
Rob.

Luongo is looking good, but the O needs to put more on the board to help him out a bit..

Pens finally put the Flyers away.. rallied back for 3-0 in the first to 5 - 3 to advance in the playoffs. Marc-Andr? Fleury is stepping up.. most of his goals against have been 3rd shot in where the D arent picking up the trailer.. a goal none the less though..hockey in may.. gotta love that.

and atleast you arent rooting for the wings like john.. lol..:p

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, I just stumbled across this thread, WOW man awesome work. Your really doing excellent work with that boat. Well just wanted to say hi, and kudos on a great job thus far.

I really appreciate all the good words.. never could have done it with out the people from iboats!!

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

I installed the transom shield. I installed the bilge pump and switch.

P4030038.jpg

Then i got the engine and engine hoist all ready to go to drop the engine in. It was suggested to build the stern area seating before the engine was put in. but After analyzing the situation, i decided to hold off on building up that area until after the engine is in place. Why? ill explain.. since i am doing this in my garage with a low ceiling i have to use a very short chain to get the engine high enough to clear the boat and this length of chain will not allow me to set her down in the bildge. So i have to set her on some wood blocking on the deck and adjust the chain length and then drop her into the bilge area. if you can picture that.

P4030041.jpg

longer chain
P4030042.jpg

Now she is close but i am still working on the alignment. you have to get the tabs below to be about 1/16 apart, after help from Don S i am about 1/8... so close.. but a little more work then it will get there...

P4030044.jpg

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Right on dude! gettin her did!

I am a huge volvo fan, I have a 280 outdrive on my boat.

Like most of us here, Im also knees deep in a project.

Transom area looks real nice, there comes a great satisfaction in knowing its been done right!

Keep it up man, loving the work so far.

Oh nice meeting you btw lol...:D

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really appreciate all the good words.. never could have done it with out the people from iboats!!

LOL Im such a slacker, there I made it easy for everyone, I added my thread to my sig. I cannot wait to see this ship all completed!

As I like to say : Restored better than the day it left the showroom :cool:

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I installed the transom shield. I installed the bilge pump and switch.

P4030038.jpg

Then i got the engine and engine hoist all ready to go to drop the engine in. It was suggested to build the stern area seating before the engine was put in. but After analyzing the situation, i decided to hold off on building up that area until after the engine is in place. Why? ill explain.. since i am doing this in my garage with a low ceiling i have to use a very short chain to get the engine high enough to clear the boat and this length of chain will not allow me to set her down in the bildge. So i have to set her on some wood blocking on the deck and adjust the chain length and then drop her into the bilge area. if you can picture that.

P4030041.jpg

longer chain
P4030042.jpg

Now she is close but i am still working on the alignment. you have to get the tabs below to be about 1/16 apart, after help from Don S i am about 1/8... so close.. but a little more work then it will get there...

P4030044.jpg

After my stringers were replaced and the floor rebuilt, we did the same thing man, we set the engine in place before installing lags or glassing the mounts in place, that way we knew if there were any changes, we could improvise at that point as opposed to having them in place and possibly having to adjust or move them. Yeah man, listen to Don he is like Yoda of Volvo, thats no BS, he helped me alot!

Robj

Lieutenant

The actual distance between the tabs does not matter, as long as the difference is no more than 2 mm between them. I would put the engine in place, install the drive and then drill/lag bolt the motor mounts.

Looking good. Have a great day,

Rob.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

oh.....

i was misunderstanding as you said before that you used feeler gauges which are very thin...so i thought you had to get the shield 2m away from the fly wheel housing.

so the 2 mm or 1/16 of an inch is not the distance between the shield and fly wheel housing... its the allowed variance between the 3 tabs distance between the shield and transom?

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

i began the stern seating area last night. Got two of the main supports all cut and glassed in.

P4060054.jpg

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i began the stern seating area last night. Got two of the main supports all cut and glassed in.

P4060054.jpg

Nice!, Moving right along. did it give you any trouble, or did it work out easier than expected?

Status
Not open for further replies.