Wellcraft Excel 1992 18sx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robj

Lieutenant
Re: Wellcraft Excel 1992 18sx

You did a nice job with the stringers, brings back many memories. Good work! With my tank, it just sits on the hull like it did before. The only thing that I did was put some 1/2 inch ply on the bottomside of the floor to prevent it from moving. I also doubled up the ply around the ski locker to prevent it from flexing too much. Will get to the engine install, but it will take a bit of writing so I will do it later when I have time.

Have a great day,

Rob.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Robj. thanks for stopping by.. yeah i was planning on doubling the ply around the ski locker as thats where it failed before and so it doesnt flex like you said!

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

I just finished up the first full wrap of 1708 on the transom.

P2010008.jpg

Another wrap or two and its deck time!!

What is a good bilge paint to paint the bildge and transom area?

probee773

Cadet

Hey everyone, great post! I have the exact same boat, and I'll be replacing the stringers and floor very soon. Actually, I should clarify, I will be paying someone to replace the stringers and floor very soon. I wish I could do it myself, but I don't have any covered space to work on the boat. I currently store it outside with a cover.

Anyone know a good place to have the work done in Orlando, FL? Anything advice before I spend big $$$ to have this done?

I hope to post before and after pics soon!

maxum247

Lieutenant

I'm thinking it couldnt hurt to prop up the tank anyways..but just wondering what it would gain me..[/QUOTE]

Probably just an added procaution to prevent any chance of leaks.

Robj

Lieutenant

Just wondering, what type of engine mounts will you be using? IMO that should be done before the deck goes on.

Keep up the good work. Have a great day,

Rob.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

i like your idea on the brackets.. but i dont know a welder so ill probably go with 6 x6 timbers encased in glass then glassed in place.. i know you didnt want to hear that.. lol.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Today i cut out all the deck boards..

P2020002.jpg

P2020005.jpg

Robj

Lieutenant

i like your idea on the brackets.. but i dont know a welder so ill probably go with 6 x6 timbers encased in glass then glassed in place.. i know you didnt want to hear that.. lol.

For my mount there was no welding required. It was just 3/8 thick aluminum angle, bolted to the stringer. I did build up the stringer a bit so the spacing was OK. I believe I added another 2 pieces of ply to the stringer. If you are going the wood block method, I would think that you should glass it all to the stringer, probably before the deck goes on. Another note, before I installed the deck, I coated it all with resin, and I used 5200 on the stringer tops and then screwed it all down with ss deck screws. You are getting it done much faster than I did. Keep up the good work.

Have a great day,

Rob.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

my plan for the mounts were to soak them in resin. then glass them out side of the boat then bed them to the hull aswell as glass them to the stringers and bulk head.. i am going to do my best to waterproof the install bolts that will hold the mounts to the engine..

yeah i definetly plan to coat the underside of the deck with resin and probably even some matt just to be extra cautious..

Robj

Lieutenant

Good idea to coat the underside of the deck and use matt. Will make it stronger as well. I am sure that the wooden block will work fine. When you drill the hole for the lags, I would fill it with epoxy to seal it and then install the lag.

Have a great day,

Rob.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Robj, filling the holes with epoxy and then adding the lag bolts.. sounds like a plan.. thanks!

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Today it was pretty nice out so i took all the deck boards that i cut the other day and coated them all in a slow kick resin... i let them sit for about an hour to let them soak up the resin.. then i applied matt to all of them.

P2040001.jpg

I still have to cut out my ski locker but i wanted to wait until i doubled up the ply in that area.. I am trying to get all the last minute things done so i can get the deck in.. i added drains from the outter hull areas to the bilge. I still have to add another 1708 wrap the the transom but i wanted to get these in so i could glass them to really seal them up.

P2040008.jpg

I built the motor mounts and glassed all the sides except the top. after that had a chance to cure, the mounts were bedded to the hull and are held in place by screws while they set up.

P2040007e.jpg

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Today i only had a few hours to get on her.. I cut and laminated the doubled up ply for the ski locker area.. I will cut out the ski locker tomorrow once it has fully cured. both pieces have a layer of matt on them.. i know its hard to see but here is a pic:

P2050011.jpg

Then i did another wrap on the transom with the 1708.. that wrap extended onto the stringers and sealed up the drains that i cut and installed yesterday.. I tabbed in the motor mounts with two layers increasing the over lap and let that cure and then wrapped the motor mount to encase them and the stringers both ways forward and back aswell as port to SB. They will be tabbed and wrapped to the deck after it is installed aswell.

P2050014e.jpg

I am pretty sure i am ready to install the deck :) ..

Last edited:

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Tonight i got the ski locker drawn out and centered and began to cut it out...

then murphy came in and decided to jump into my jig saw and have a smoke, thats the only explanation i can come up with. i pull the trigger and no blade movement just smoke.. took her apart and the part that hold the blade in is plastic and melted.. they just dont make tools like they used to, I thought a craftsman whats suppose to be worth the money..

so i just got back from getting a new one and wont do any quality work if i continued tonight.. so ill start again after work tomorrow...

maxum247

Lieutenant

I thought about putting drains in my stringers. I sat there and pondered the thought several times before sealing up the deck and didn't think it would be so easily done so I skipped that step. Wish I hadn't.:(

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

I thought about putting drains in my stringers. I sat there and pondered the thought several times before sealing up the deck and didn't think it would be so easily done so I skipped that step. Wish I hadn't.:(

Yeah i was debating it aswell but i figured why not... it didnt take too long.. and i know i sealed them up! i think thats the biggest worry!

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

I got the ski locker cut out, gas tank installed and stabalized. i went with the factiry set up and set the tank on the hull and took the advice to put some extra wood to keep it from moving around.

THE DECK IS IN!!! :)
Installed by laying a bead of PL down then the deck. Pre drilling the holes and filling the hole with 5200 then coating the SS screws with 5200 and then finally screwing the screw in!..

P2070004.jpg

I also tabbed the deck and filled the deck hull gap.. .long night.. but rewarding!

jcsercsa

Captain

OHH yea I you been busy !!! nice work there 92excel !!!! feels good does'nt !!! your getting close to hitting the water !!! John

Status
Not open for further replies.