X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Beach
    started a topic 66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

This will be my first attempt at restoring an old boat, so I thought I’d do a build along. That way, in exchange for providing you folks a little humor (inevitable due to my inexperience), I can ask a bunch of redundant silly questions!

The boat is a 66 Starcraft Sunchief. It’s 21’7” long and came with the 110 HP Mercruiser Sterndrive option.

The motor had a head job in 83 and a full engine rebuild to 040 over in 84. When not in use, it was parked in a carport. She hasn’t been in the water since 02 when she was winterized and parked in a garage. I bought her from my brother a couple of months ago and I’m ready to try and bring her back to original condition with exceptions being some small cosmetic upgrades.

The plan is to re-do the floor and flotation, new paint top & bottom, complete re-wire, re-upholster the seats, new fabric in the cubby hole area on each side (haven’t figured out the term for that area) new finished wood side panels and dash in lieu of the fabric covered stuff, and new marine vinyl in lieu of the deck rotting carpet, new gauges & steering wheel.

My brother’s teenagers piled all sorts of stuff on it, and a few months ago he painted his 71 Harley some sort of red color, resulting in the entire boat being pink from overspray???

I’ve been really worried about wet flotation and the resultant rust/rot. So today I removed the seats, carpet, fuel tank and one side panel. So far everything’s looking good!

The sun started going down and the temp started dropping and this stage of the restoration is being done in the carport, so I decided to remove the reinforcement and yank out one sheet of the plywood just to get a peek at the danged flotation I’ve been losing sleep over. Everything looks pretty good here.

Tomorrow afternoon I’ll remove the other side panel and all of the flooring.
    Last edited by North Beach; September 12th, 2012, 10:55 AM.

• Walkerocket
    replied
    Mod EDIT
    Walker,
    No solicitation in the open forum

Inactive topics shouldnt be posted to, see the Tip posted at the top of the forum page, or check the Forum help link in my signature for the forum rules and guidelines. Thanks

You may try sending NorthBeach a provate message asking your question. If memory serves, the answer will be no.

NorthBeach hasnt been active in a while and hasnt logged on to iboats since April

Topic closed
    Last edited by jbcurt00; August 31st, 2015, 10:27 PM. Reason: no solicitation in the open forum

Leave a comment:

• North Beach
    replied
    Re: 66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

We're all glad to help Don.

Leave a comment:

• Wakeesh
    replied

Originally posted by North Beach View Post
    Welcome to Iboats Don. That's a 1972 Starchief you've got there. Minus the cabin, it's identical to the Liquid Limo. Start yourself a resto thread here and start posting up questions or just do what you want and keep us updated.
    Thanks NB, Now I know what I have. I'd like to remove the cabin so I'll have more access to all of the hull, and possibly convert to a more open model. I'd like to keep the weight down so a smaller engine will move it, and my Dakota 2X will safely tow it. I'll start a thread called 72 Starchief restore and get more info, pictures, and questions out there. Thanks again for responding.

Leave a comment:

• North Beach
    replied

Welcome to Iboats Don. That's a 1972 Starchief you've got there. Minus the cabin, it's identical to the Liquid Limo. Start yourself a resto thread here and start posting up questions or just do what you want and keep us updated.

Leave a comment:

• Wakeesh
    replied

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1380.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	7056327
    Just acquired this 18' outboard model Starcraft and want to get it sea-worthy by Springtime (I'm in Alaska). I admire the detailed photos and explanations you provided and plan on studying them intently as I get into my project. First I need to make space in my garage, then test for leaky rivets and seams. Looking for any and all assistance and ideas more experienced "shipwrights" can offer. Thanks in advance - Don

Leave a comment:

• North Beach
    replied

Well we finally got her out of storage and are ready to prepare her for some lake time. Not getting this boat wet an entire season has just about driven me crazy but personal crap just got in the way last year.

So now I've filled the tank, added some lead, changed the oil, scrubbed her down and with a small amount of tweeking we should be ready to fire her up this weekend. I have the 15 pitch prop installed and we're trying to hit the lake the week of 8/12 thru 8/18.

I seriously need to move closer to a large body of water......

Leave a comment:

• North Beach
    replied

Thanks bud! We're extremely happy with the final product.

Leave a comment:

• '57Lapline
    replied

Yep I've watched it a few times and a couple of the other ones that are on the youtube page of your boat. I love your boat it looks incredible.

Leave a comment:

• North Beach
    replied

You do realize there's a video in my signature?

Leave a comment:

• '57Lapline
    replied

Great to hear NB. This boat restoration is an inspiration to us all and I love that color you've got on it. Be sure to post lots of pics and possibly even vids of you splashing it.

Leave a comment:

• North Beach
    replied

Thanks 57! With all I had going on last year the LL never made it to the lake, This year things will be a little different.....

Leave a comment:

• '57Lapline
    replied

This is an unreal restore. Well done north beach you should be very proud of it

Leave a comment:

• VooDuuChild
    replied

New here, and so far, I've read this entire thread, and another rebuild (54 pager) all on dial-up.

Anyhow, well done, I hope the 3.0 holds up and the prop/rpm issues get figured. Beautiful machine......I can't wait to get a new to me tinny to play with.

Leave a comment:

• North Beach
    replied

SS, I guess you're right. I'm also about to switch to the 15 pitch prop to see if that finally ends my not being able to reach the recommended rpms on this rig. I'm starting to see the end of sorting out this boat and the Center Console conversion is beckoning

I'll spend the next two months hunting hard and January will be the time to focus on the paint, metal fab, and motor rebuild on that one.

Until then, I'll just keep watching that LL video over and over.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X