66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: 66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

NB looks great!!! Glad the advice worked for you. Funny thing about paint, (as you know), danged unpredictable no matter what the manufacurer says.

I've been hammering away at the wiring on mine. You think painting the bottom was tedious, just wait. I'm pretty good with wiring, that's not the problem, it's the repitition and laying on my back under the dash for hours at a time. I did get the new Sony CD/AM/FM/MP3/WMA player in yesterday so I've got tunes. First CD in was George Strait, first song was River of Love. Ironic, the stereo was on random play and that's the song that hit. Must be an omen.

Keep up the great work!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

So...how long before launch?? :)

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

NB do you remember how much Zinc Chromate you used on the bottom ? How much did you use for the whole boat any how many coats did you do.
Thanks

North Beach

Commander

SS, would you please quit bring up the wiring:eek:

Bob, I have no clue at this point. I know we're at the lake house in July so it better be ready by then or I'm gonna be in big trouble!

AP, I think it went something like 5 cans on just the bottom but I went a tad heavy there. Fxing some sanded off rivets on the bottom and a light coat on the rest of the boat ate another 6 1/2 cans. It's a pretty big boat!

And BTW, I just realized my masking leaked a little and I'm gonna have to re-shoot the white on the stern at some point:(

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's looking great, NB! You are certainly carrying things to a level of detail that most never would (including me). As usual, your posts are an inspiration. My deadline is to have the boat reassembled and sea worthy before the stripers get here (which is not a hard date, those damn fish NEVER show up when it's convenient or when I want them to). I don't have time to make 'er pretty on the outside this spring. That's ok, though. I think the hull is the last thing on a striper's mind as I swing her over the gunnel :p

Great work!

North Beach

Commander

Matt, I figure what ever level of detail a person wants to achieve is their personal choice. This boat was owned by my wife's father for over 20 years and we knew it was a good representation of a somewhat hard to find 1966 model. With that in mind, we decided to go sort of all out. Now there's a bunch more we could do with it along the lines of returning it to completely original condition, but we gave up some of that for upgrades and some personal choices such as color.

If I was working an old center console, I'd be more concerned with setting it up to chase them danged stripers just like you're gonna do. I'm still toying with the idea of converting one anyways-There, I said it-maybe resto # 2 is in the works. Or at least in my thoughts. DO NOT tell my wife:D

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roger that, NB. Mum's the word on resto #2. Somebody somewhere once said "If I'm not thinking ahead, I'm not thinking". I missed the detail on the boat being in the family - she certainly deserves the attention she's getting.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

SS, would you please quit bring up the wiring:eek:
Just thought I'd let you know how much fun you could look forward too. I got mine pretty much done this weekend. I ended Sunday evening with a sigh of relief as I realized I was going to make my completion date goal. I just have to finish the interior and get some paint on the hull and I'll be ready to fish. I think one more month and I'll have her done. That all depends on how many times I change my mind.:rolleyes:

North Beach

Commander

Man, at one point I thought the day would never come when I could share these pictures!!!!!!!

My nephew works for me part time and he was out in the shop working while I took care of some office stuff. After work this evening we got all fired up and made some quick adjustments to the new trailer and dropped her off the cables for a trip into the sunlight.

I couldn't be happier with how the bottom paint turned out!!! Here she is!
po1.jpg

po2.jpg

po3.jpg

po4.jpg

Did I mention how happy I am with the bottom paint?????

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

NB she looks mint ! I'm surprised you did not bring the sea foam green around the transom.
When you first started and showed that color in the brochure , I thought to each his own , but that different green and your paint scheme made it all work.

That will be one sharp StarCraft to be proud of !

Acre5

Recruit

Looks Great!!!! Man that boat makes your truck look small!

Meet me here when your done:
orlandoclipperlake003.jpg

North Beach

Commander

I hope to be there by sometime in June!

That's a pic of the boat that inspired me to do this:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I am speechless! It is freaking beautiful. I did email Starcraft a link to this thread!!! ;)

jcsercsa

Captain

Sweet Man hope mine turn out that good !!!!! nice work !!! John

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

NB...

That paint looks like it's MINT condition! lol....

Ya know...did ya ever tell us her name?
If I had a green boat, maybe I'd use mint condition.....hmmmm

I said it before bro..your my hero!

North Beach

Commander

Thanks folks! Kev, I can't reveal the name till we're done and ready to rinse lures:D

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Shoot ... I was hoping you'ld join my fleet and name it FIV 5, (Fish Intercept Vessel).

WV Angler

Recruit

Great Job on the boat!!! :D

I can't wait to see if she floats later on this summer... :p

-Kurt

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fish Intercept Vehicle. Love it, sschafer.

NB, I got those emblems in the mail today. Sent you a pm. They're gorgeous. The pics don't do 'em justice. Thanks for taking time out of your restoration to pop those in the mail. You're a stand-up guy. Really.

Fellow Starcraft owners, if NB has any sets of these emblems left.... they're worth it. Very well-done!

Status
Not open for further replies.