66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Beach

Commander
Re: 66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

Kev, you gotta get off that coffee man:p:D Jes kidden! I'm a little pumped myself. For a couple of months there it looked like all I was doin was tearin stuff up-Wait a minute-I was tearin stuff up :D I got that idea from another guy here-I'm gonna look him up and give him props. I was really wonderin how to get at the bottom till I saw his post.

It feels really good to be slingin some paint!

SS-I got that backwards on my last post. I agree with you-Top to bottom!

North Beach

Commander

Kev, It was Genonbamagirl. He hung his boat from the carport and even broke one of the wooden supports doing it. I searched but cant find the thread.

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

NB you are doing a outstanding job. I actually can't wait to see it completed.
Hell I would hire you.....:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Kev, you gotta get off that coffee man:p:D Jes kidden! I'm a little pumped myself. For a couple of months there it looked like all I was doin was tearin stuff up-Wait a minute-I was tearin stuff up :D I got that idea from another guy here-I'm gonna look him up and give him props. I was really wonderin how to get at the bottom till I saw his post.

It feels really good to be slingin some paint!

SS-I got that backwards on my last post. I agree with you-Top to bottom!

Who told you? is 5 pots a day too much???:eek:
Regardless, your my heeeeero! lol

North Beach

Commander

AP, thanks, but no thanks! My back and arms are killin me:D Once I get this one done-that's it. I plan to just cruise around the lake takin it all in.

Kev, once I'm done you can borrow the boatel. Northern Virginia-just up the street from FLA! That shed is gonna smell like paint for years!

North Beach

Commander

Yeah, you're probably right........

Got the entire boat sanded with 500 grit and shot the second coat of primer on today. Tomorrow it's paint time!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ran into some problems with the allen wrench bolt that holds the trim tab on being froze up but we?re gonna separate the upper and lower unit next week when the parts for the sterndrive re-build come in and we?ll deal with that then.

Just as a heads up, sometimes there is a bolt coming up from underneath the trip tab that holds the two together (incase they are not spliting)

Fuzzy

North Beach

Commander

FW, Thanks for the heads up. I didn't find one of those in my spare outdrive. I'll be looking out for it on the primary!

OK the paint part of the project continues. This morning I broke out the 500 grit and did a slow, methodical, light sand on the second coat of primer. This coat required way less sanding than the first. The next step was blowing off all the dust and wiping the entire boat again with the tack cloth. Between sanding and wiping I hauled every plug in light that I own into the Boatel to try and lighten things up some for the first coat of white paint.

I mixed up the same formula with the Pettit Easypoxy High Gloss White as I did the primer. 16 ounces of paint and 2.5 ounces of spraying primer. Still holding at 70 degrees in the shop.

I?m amazed at how well this paint went on. No runs and fairly easy to see the laps as you go. I thought the white on white in my dark boat shop was gonna give me trouble but that was not the case.
1paint3.jpg

1paint2.jpg

1paint5.jpg

I thought everything was perfect till the paint started flashing off. Looks like I have some holidays on the starboard side.
1paint4.jpg

I?ll deal with that during tomorrow?s sanding and the second coat. I decided to go ahead and shoot a coat of the white on the bow since I had enough thinned out for spraying. All in all I?m pumped about the results and I?m ready to shoot another coat tomorrow.

Yeehhaaa!

MrMarine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow looks good... Hurry and finish i am bringing my boat to your house and you can paint it for me....:D

North Beach

Commander

MM, I looked again for the brochure info on your boat. I've looked from 64 thru 67 and still haven't made a match. But I did see a couple that were close WITH the consul:D I'll keep lookin!

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great work, North Beach! I've just started on my own starcraft rebuild (center console). What are your plans for the gas tank? I'm looking ahead and trying to plan for everything before I put the floor down.

Also - what are the chances that your son's friend would be interested in earning a little dough water-jetting two more of those starcraft emblems for another starcraft rebuild? If so, shoot me a pm. Thanks!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Paint looks great! Here's a heck of a good tip.. You're next step is to run all the wiring and hoses you can and extras for those things you haven't thought about yet.

Under the Gunwales, throw in some 3/4 plywood. I made mine 4.5" wide and 4' long. I put two on each side and just used some PL to stick them. I then put a couple of deck eyes on for my fenders and used long screws to suck the plywood up. I was putting them on sooner or later anyway.

Once you've done that, you can hang 1-1/2" Schedule 40 with plastic hangers and run all your electrical in that. Run a second tube on the starboard side for your steering and control cables and on the port side for your battery cables and your live well hose. That's assuming you're putting a live well and the trolling motor batteries up front. If not just hang the extra one on the port side so it's there if you change your mind.

And most importantly, thread circuitous pull strings in the tubes and when you pull a wire use the pull string. When you finish, leave the pull string so it's there in a week when you realize you forgot to pull wire for the interior curtosey lights.... Don't ask... you already know that's what I did.

Oh yeah, just in case you thought you might put the tubes on the plywood and then slide them up and in.. nope it won't fit. Not enough clearance side to side. You have to roll the plywood up and in.

This will be something you'll really appreciate when you run your wiring and in the future when you want to mount something on top of the rails like a bimini top, down riggers, rod holders, B-52 booster rockets, etc.

North Beach

Commander

My booster rockets came with wing nuts!

OK got another afternoon in on the paint. This was the second coat of Easypoxy on the sides, bow, and stern.

I spent some time working on the holidays from yesterday?s first coat. They turned out to be rough spots in the aluminum and I believe I?m stuck with them at this point. I sanded them lightly with 500 grit and after shooting the second coat I think they look about as good as they?re going to. Another coat or two should finish smoothing them out.

This is a shot of me painting in case some of you wonder what I look like :)
2paint2.jpg

Here?s the results from today. Same mixture and another thin coat. I did find a couple of runs from yesterday (I knew I would) and worked on them with the 500 grit also. I don?t really like sanding this Easypoxy because it looks like the sanding marks are going to telegraph thru the next coat. Maybe some of you folks with more paint experience know what I?m doing wrong. Anyhow, it is what it is and I can live with it.
2paint6.jpg

2paint8.jpg

2paint4.jpg

I know the pictures are a tad hard to see. The space in the boatel is kinda limited forcing the weird angle shots. I'll probably break down in tears when I get this boat back out in the sunlight:eek:

Tomorrow will be the final coat of white. I?ll be picking up the rest of the paint tomorrow, and after the white cures, I?ll tape it off and begin working on the light green bottom. Anyone have any idea how long I should wait to apply the masking tape?

Mathew, I have four sets of those Starcraft emblems-PM sent!

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

North Beach,
Cool! I didn't get the pm, though. I'll try sending you one that you can reply to.

-edit- Scratch that. Just got it. Reply sent!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Pictures don't tell the whole story so I'm not sure if I should belive what I think I'm seeing. It looks a little flat almost like it's over thinned. That would also explain why you're not filling in the scratches, seeing those rough spots and getting runs.

Try cutting back on the thinner. Use what you need to get it to go through the gun and only thin more if the weather is warm, (above 75 deg. You probably have a 66 tip on that gun so you can go pretty thick. If you're sanding between coats don't forget that you need to start every time with a light tack coat followed by a full coat.

I try to avoid sanding between coats and try to shoot the next coat when the first one is dry to the point where if you touch it, you'll leave a finger print but you won't get any paint on your finger. That's the point where the next coat will still soften the undercoat enough to form a good bond and allow the undercoat to dry through the topcoat.

According to the pro's and a rule that I've learned by my own mistakes is that if you miss the overcoat stage, wait 7 days until the paint is hard and then sand and recoat. If you sand earlier than that you can leave deep scratches that won't fill properly and you will also distrupt the hardening process.

In a nutshell, if you sand and your paper loads up with paint and not dust then you are too early.

North Beach

Commander

SS, My paint information says to do a coat a day. At the temp in my boat shop a min of 16 hrs between coats. You hit the nail on the head-I'm not getting powder when I sand. I'll skip that for the next coat and delete the spraying thinner. I don't beleive I really need it.

As far as the damage being done, hopefully the next coat will smooth it out. I only had a couple of runs and I know what caused that. Operator error:D

sschefer

Rear Admiral

SS, My paint information says to do a coat a day. At the temp in my boat shop a min of 16 hrs between coats. You hit the nail on the head-I'm not getting powder when I sand. I'll skip that for the next coat and delete the spraying thinner. I don't beleive I really need it.

As far as the damage being done, hopefully the next coat will smooth it out. I only had a couple of runs and I know what caused that. Operator error:D

I think if you call the reps they'll tell you that if you roll and tip you shouild wait a day between coats so that you can sand. If you spray, you shouldn't need to sand and I think they'll tell you that the recoat times are about what I suggest. I used to paint cars in my younger days and shot all types of paints. For all but the most exotic, the procedure was always pretty close to the same although I never rolled and tipped a car, (not intentionally anyway).

North Beach

Commander

SS, I hit the boat with the tack cloth and sprayed another coat without the thinner around 5 pm today and it's looking much better! Thanks for your input. I think I may have saved the paint job. That's coat #3. I'll wipe down with the tack cloth tomorrow and put one last heavy coat on and that should do it. Now, any suggestions on how long to wait on the masking tape so I can shoot the light green? I didn't bother with pictures since I'm sure everyone is probably tired of looking at those white boat pictures by now:D

A couple other developments. I blindly ordered the last two 50' rolls of 1 1/4" rubrail inserts that Taco had in their warehouse. I think the only thing they sell now is 200' rolls. My inserts were 1" and I was hoping I could make them work. They came in today and turns out they fit perfectly. If any of you folks with early 60's starcrafts need to replace your rubrail inserts I have the part #.

Secondly, I'm still searching for windshield gasket material and I'm not having much luck. I ordered the white stuff made by Taylormade hoping to get lucky and it isn't even close. Anyone know of a supplier?

magicbronco

Cadet

Pictures don't tell the whole story so I'm not sure if I should belive what I think I'm seeing. It looks a little flat almost like it's over thinned. That would also explain why you're not filling in the scratches, seeing those rough spots and getting runs.

Try cutting back on the thinner. Use what you need to get it to go through the gun and only thin more if the weather is warm, (above 75 deg. You probably have a 66 tip on that gun so you can go pretty thick. If you're sanding between coats don't forget that you need to start every time with a light tack coat followed by a full coat.

I try to avoid sanding between coats and try to shoot the next coat when the first one is dry to the point where if you touch it, you'll leave a finger print but you won't get any paint on your finger. That's the point where the next coat will still soften the undercoat enough to form a good bond and allow the undercoat to dry through the topcoat.

According to the pro's and a rule that I've learned by my own mistakes is that if you miss the overcoat stage, wait 7 days until the paint is hard and then sand and recoat. If you sand earlier than that you can leave deep scratches that won't fill properly and you will also distrupt the hardening process.

In a nutshell, if you sand and your paper loads up with paint and not dust then you are too early.

I think it looks like simply not enough paint, just a fog or tac coat.
He shot half of the boat with 18.5 oz of primer, and if i understand he did
the same with paint that is not nearly enough to get a good wet coat which
is what you need to bring out a good flow and gloss. and you need to really
over thin to affect the gloss. And i have seen more runs from under thinned
paint because people are trying to get the gloss or wet look and keep hitting
a area till they get it, and being under thinned the gun is not atomizing the paint particles proporly. thus very thick paint which leads to runs.

warmer wheather means warmer paint which actually thins the paint for you.
think of cold honey next to hot honey .which falls off a spoon faster?
so when its warm does not mean more thinner.
Tip let your paint supplies stay in the warm house, not the cold garage when your painting the next day.

Instead of leaving a finger print in what ever were painting how about going
a good medium tach coat followed by a good medium tach coat probably 80
percent covered followed by a good wet coat.

Instead of just picking a random amount of time to do different things with your paint. Get a product data sheet, it will give you specific info.
EG: cure schedules, recoat times.

Sorry to be a A## H### my first post
im just a anal retentive perfectionist painter.

Status
Not open for further replies.