66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: 66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

Yep she does look great there North Beach !!!!! when You getting her back ?? John

sschefer

Rear Admiral

When you get yours back, you get to start having some real fun.. Here's a challenge, count how many times you get in and out of the boat. You're now going to go for the full Starcraft body workout. You have the Starcraft Back now you're gonna get the Starcraft Legs and Abbs:eek:

Have no fear, it's worth every bottle of Tylenol

see ... Here's mine now. Paint is going on next week, she'll be wet by months end. It's been a long haul. You got me goin with your blue wonder. I'm thinkin my next one will be a little salty too! I'm looking for a Four Winns, I want a Formula but I'll probably end up with another Starcraft.

new_boat-1.jpg

North Beach

Commander

Oh, I see. You're just gonna whet our appetites with that narrow, can't hardly see anything photograph. And no shots of the prepped hull. Maybe you're not even really painting it:D Probably got a factory metalflake job on it and you're just gonna wait a week or two and try and pass it off as a backyard paint job??????

John, they say a couple of days..................

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Oh, I see. You're just gonna whet our appetites with that narrow, can't hardly see anything photograph. And no shots of the prepped hull. Maybe you're not even really painting it:D Probably got a factory metalflake job on it and you're just gonna wait a week or two and try and pass it off as a backyard paint job??????

John, they say a couple of days..................

HA HA :) I could just take a picture of my hands but since you insist:

SNC00018.jpg

FYI, I used my Festool dustfree finish sander and didn't even move the car out of the garage.

I updated my thread also.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sschefer, maybe we can all pitch in and produce "The Starcraft Workout Series" and sell it on dvd to recoup some dough. I have some ideas on particular exercises:

The Oh-No Tip-Toe: trying to stay upright inside a bare hull that has oven cleaner on it - or Gluvit that is curing. This one really works the calf muscles.

The Splashwell Knee-Grinder: doing anything at all under the splashwell, or even thinking about the splashwell. This is particularly taxing on those of us who've had ACL repair surgery.

The Drenched Ivan: From the ground - hauling your shop vac off the gunnel when it's at least half-full of water and grit. This one works all major muscle groups. Anything beyond 5 reps is considered superhuman.

The Denise-Austin-Can-Kiss-My... The swift motion of stepping on the trailer fender, hiking your keister up to the gunnel, swinging your legs over, and trying to land in the empty v hull with your feet under you. One way to really crank up the reps on this one is to keep forgetting stuff you need for any given task.

Ok, I'm done hi-jacking. As you were, gentlemen.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I think you nailed it Matthew..When do we shoot.

North Beach

Commander

Let's not forget the one where you have to hang over the gunwale imbedding that last peice of fiberglass. They didn't even come close to that one in basic training:mad:

And another thought-based on what I've seen in the various pictures on these posts, I don't think we'll sell many videos once they see about three minutes of any of us in leotards:eek:

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Let's not forget the one where you have to hang over the gunwale imbedding that last peice of fiberglass. They didn't even come close to that one in basic training:mad:

And another thought-based on what I've seen in the various pictures on these posts, I don't think we'll sell many videos once they see about three minutes of any of us in leotards:eek:

Leotards... aint they just pantyhose for sissies. Heck, I'm embarassed to tell anyone I have silk long underware on when I wear it, (my Mom christmas shops for me at REI).

Hey, Matthew, NB say's we need to hire stunt doubles.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Leotards... aint they just pantyhose for sissies. Heck, I'm embarassed to tell anyone I have silk long underware on when I wear it, (my Mom christmas shops for me at REI).

Hey, Matthew, NB say's we need to hire stunt doubles.

personally I was thinking Swedish Bikini Team..But I may not have my finger on the proper demographic market for a Super Starcraft Workout Video...
Heck..I didnt finish high schoolin..lol

sschefer

Rear Admiral

My two favorites are -- Even though you prewired the consoles you still end up jambed up in there with a heat gun and liquid tape. Let either one slip and you definitely invent a new work out method.

My second favorite -- One that you touched on -- Working in the splash well.. Wait until it comes time to put the cleats on and you find you're all alone. Think NASCAR tire changer... use contact cement on the screw so it stays put then squirm back under, reach up an start the nut. Then put a little contact cement on the nut and jamb a endwrench on it and lay it up agaist the gunwale. Then very carefully squirm back out and from the top, ever, ever so gently, begin tightening the screw from the top. Repeat all of the above if the wrench falls off. I went 4 for 4 with this method. Good luck!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm working on a trailer right now and I have it on saw horses. I have to keep stepping in and out of the sections because I don't feel like ducking under. The trailer is JUST below family jewel level.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, hell yeah, we're hiring stunt doubles. I like the Swedish bikini team idea. That or we could go the whole "Girls Gone Starcraft Wild" route. That seems to sell alot.

sschefer, join the club, man. REAL men wear leggings. I have a number of different types that I wear under my waders or boat bibs. My warm fleece ones even have stirrups. I'll tell anybody. They stop laughing when they fish next to me. This photo is me and my dad in his 18' Starcraft. Never weighed the fish - it was released - but it was BIG. Biggest striper I've ever seen, let alone land. My brother, who was also in the boat, said "You may as well quit striper fishing now. You'll never beat that." Maybe so, but I'll die tryin'.

Ok, ok, I'm sorry to keep hijacking your thread, North Beach. I'll stop now.

Attachments

• 51.JPG
    51.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 0

North Beach

Commander

OK Folks! Back to the business at hand. Matt, quit posten them digitally enhanced pics. We use striper bigger than that for bait down here in the Chesapeake Bay.

The Admiral and I got all dressed up late this morning and decided to start working on the only piece of boat we have left. The windshield! As I stated somewhere yesterday, the boat mechanic needed the boat dropped off on Wednesday so he could start workin on it on Monday! So after a couple days of withdrawal, I remembered we still had the crusty windshield we could polish. Also the tenting I installed before I sprayed the green paint failed and the pink windshield is now a nice green color.

Here?s a before shot.
WS1.jpg

I spent a good bit of time trying to replicate the grinder with the buffing wheels with various drills but just couldn?t get the speed I needed for the polishing wheel. Then I rigged up a small polishing wheel on the air dremel and got the speed I needed. I was using the 240 grit polishing compound that I used on the bow and stern castings a few weeks ago.
WS2.jpg

The results were way too varied on all the small windshield frames so I went out to the bow shop and grabbed some fine grade steel wool. Man, that stuff worked like a charm! Here?s a shot to show the before and after with the steel wool.
WS3.jpg

Took a lot of elbow grease but it worked out just fine. Here?s a shot of The Admiral earning a seat in the boat.
WS4.jpg

I know this aluminum is anodized, but this gunk has been building up for 43 years and something had to be done so it looks like we?re gonna be waxing the aluminum every so often.

Here?s a shot of the finished product. I can live with it.
WS5.jpg

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Good job on the frame NB..
Been having steel wool sessions on mine too.Diane and her daughter have pitched in as well..they get to help and I get to tackle something else..

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As always, looking great, NB. The windshield looks spectacular. At the moment, I'm thinking I'll have something custom bent from acrylic (there's a shop up here that keeps advertising about their mad marine windshield skills). Hey, I've lost track of what stage your floor is in. At last count, I know it's been riveted, matted, and epoxied. Are you painting, carpeting, or using some other technique? My floor is definitely getting painted and I'm wondering what, if anything, I need to do between epoxy and primer.

(Oh, and I do know about those Chesapeake stripers. That's where I caught that one) - nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more.

Nice work!

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

NB - That windshield looks terrific!:D I have just one question for you. How can you put so much time and energy into your boat, and yet, you park your mower in quicksand!:eek:
WS1.jpg

Keep un that good work, the consistent warm weather is right around the corner.

BOB

North Beach

Commander

Bob, That's the old mower and a friend is sposed to be coming to get it for parts. When you own a spall piece of land you become everyone's storage facility:D

sschefer

Rear Admiral

NB, nice job on the windshield, I used my 4-1/2 grinder with a pad adapter to work mine over.

Status
Not open for further replies.