29' Carter Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer
I am fairly new here, so i will start by introducing myself. My name is Matt. I am 16, and have been working at Schooner Cove Marina, on the east side of Vancouver Island since may 2006. During my time there i have gained alot of respect for boats, and have wanted one of my own. My dad recently rebuilt a 22ft 1973 searay. I thought i need to compete with that. So Me and a friend went in and bought a 1974 28' Carter Safari. It wasnt expensive and has alot of potential. Anyways here is its restoration journal.

We bought the boat on Sept 21'st in Seattle.
here are some pictures of it in seattle, how we bought it.

Attachments

• Updated Boat 012.jpg
    Updated Boat 012.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Updated Boat 001 - Copy.jpg
    Updated Boat 001 - Copy.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Updated Boat 015.jpg
    Updated Boat 015.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 29' Carter Safari

This is how it looks to date. We have got all of the electronics working, everything from running lights to flushing toilets. We have also purchased 2 new merc 350ci's in Seattle, and will be picking them up this saturday the 18th. The legs are removed and look good. They both spin freely, and are rust free. We are still going to take them apart and check everything. Hopefully we can pull the old engines next week sometime, and by the end of next weekend have the new engines in place.
As you can imaging, money will come into play here, we pretty much have 0 after buying the boat and engines, so things may slow down
n715147349_836944_9821.jpg

n715147349_871036_8220.jpg

n715147349_873830_1232.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Matt, welcome to iboats, we have quite a few members your age, Baconbiscut, bassboy1, fuzzywiggler, are just a few.
you have taken on a real project, but looks like you have it under control. keep us updated as to your progress.

jcsercsa

Captain

Welcome !!!!

Man you just want to kick dads butt dont you ??? hahaha

Nice ride cant wait to see this one !!!! wish i had room to work on something that big !!!!

How are the transom and the stringers ??

Keep us post on how its going !! keep them pics comming also !! John

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

transom and stringers are solid, we beat on them with a screwdriver before purchasing, and they are good.

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iboats!!

Look like a great project with plenty of potential! I think its the biggest boat on here right now should be very exciting.

what are your plans for the boat? and can we see some pics of the interior!!

Fuzzy

jcsercsa

Captain

transom and stringers are solid, we beat on them with a screwdriver before purchasing, and they are good.

OHHH man that doesnt mean that they are good !! you have to take core samples to check the wood !! by just beating on them mean that the glass is still in good shape , it doent mean that the wood core is in good shape !! I hate to be the one to tell you that , But i really wood take some core samples and go from there !!! John

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

i did it from the inside, and made sure i was not in the fibreglass. How do you take a core sample? i dont really want to drill into it and potentionall go right through?

there is one pic of the interior in my first post, hasnt changed much, just ripped all the old curtains down, and taken out the upphosltry.

Today i syphined out the old fuel, there wasnt alot in it, and it had an orangey color to it, but was still clear. Probably just abit of color from the copper pickup tube. or it was dyed.

our plans arent too exciting. just local cruising and stuff for now, would like to visit the west coast at some point, and maybe make afew stops down by friday harbour and such. might do some diving off it, etc...

We are hopeing to have it in the water for next summer.

im off bright and early tomorrow(4am) to seattle to pickup our new engines(rebuilds)! Pics will follow.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

afew more pics.
n715147349_803367_6649.jpg

n715147349_809863_2210.jpg

n715147349_812992_4946.jpg

n715147349_814281_6737.jpg

of course, we needed a little music! the old ones above were just not good enough!
n715147349_871033_6979.jpg

zach103

Commander

not the biggest boat on here. (biggest is a 30' i believe) but its deff the biggest of us really young guys. what do they have you doing at the marina. always wanted to work at one.. . that projects looking really good. keep us updated.. has your dad gotten a bigger one yet?

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

i do all kinds of stuff at the marina, in the summer i spend alot of time at the gas dock, and catching lines for guests. In the winter i spend more time in the office, and towing logs, and have actually had afew boats try to make it to the bottom too. Usually results in a day of excitement. Its a 364 slip marina, ranging 22-60' annual slips.. can accomidate up to 200' guests.

My dad wont be beating me anytime soon, he spent all his $ on the last one:p

ill see if i can dig up some before and after pics of it, he spent way more then we have though :p

tashasdaddy

the boat actually looks to be in better condition, than i originally thought. have you gotten your boating certificate?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi matt....where is schooner cove????? are u up north?....cant be too far cause your goin to take the koho......or do you shoot across on the big ferries and drive down?

thats a real cool boat perfect for the west coast.....(even the east side of the west coast) :eek::D
the twins will cost dollars in guzzoline :eek:

to do a core sample....you use a drill bit......take a peice of tape and place the tape 1/2 inch from the tip of the bit....(minimum stringer thickness is 3/4 inch including the glass but i suspect in that boat it will be thicker)......drill a hole in the stringer and look at the shavings that come out.....are they totally dry?....are they wet or damp?.....drill into a few locations......

fill each hole with 3m 5200 marine sealant.....(dont use sillycone)

drill a few in the transom as well......have a really good look at the wood around the outdrive holes.........if you need to replace the transom ....do it now....with the engines and drives out.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i just noticed.....did you and your dad take the manifolds of the motors?....or did they come with the two inside ones missing?....

and i also noticed that only one had a heat exchanger on it.....were they both working of the same system or is it just missing?

navis

Seaman

hey all, I'm the co-owner of the boat. As far as manifolds, risers, heat exchangers, etc. They were all on there but have been removed to allot for easier removal of the engines. Hopefully we will get them out next weekend and get the bilge cleaned out and ready for the new power. As we are only 16 and on a bit of a budget, we have to sell basically everything we don't need, does anyone know what we could get for those old engines as basically scrap, maybe someone with a lot of time could get them to run....

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

Schooner Cove is just north of Nanaimo. on the east side, sorta mid way up the island.( 49* 17.28' N, 124* 7.9' W ) We went the mainland and down route to get the engines, because the coho sched didnt work out.

I will do afew cores tomorrow possibly.

yes i have my Pleasure craft operator, and CPS(Canadian Power Sail)

new engine pic
n715147349_881750_6665.jpg

its kinda bad because its dark out, will get afew better pics tomorrow, all the manifolds and stuff are there, but removed for transport

tashasdaddy

Navis, welcome to iboats also. i'm very interested in watching your progress.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

anyone know where i can find a diagram that shows what each prong is on the mercruiser cannon plug? i need to make a converter to hook it into my current system.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

Well, the transom is solid. Engines are unbolted, got a buddy who is bringing over his excavator this friday to do the engine swap. should make it fairly easy!

Will get some more pics too

Status
Not open for further replies.