29' Carter Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 29' Carter Safari

I Was Just Looking At Some Other Forums (which Is How I Found Your Project To Start With) These Boats As I Am Told. Where Built By A Man In Costa Mesa California. His Name Was John Carter. And When I Launched Mine In 2002 The People At The Marina That Recognized The Hull (our The Model Of Boat I Should Say) Said He Was In HIS Mid Seventys And Still Livining In Costa Mesa. One Of The Volvo Penta Dealers In Costa Mesa New Him And Had Done Repowers On Seveal Of These Boats. How Correct This Info Is A Can Not Say. But Several Different Sources Had Pretty Much The Same Story. My Boat Says Manufactured In Costa Mesa California. Just Above The Vee Berth But Below The Windows. I Was Also Told That There Was Less Than Forty Of These Boats Built Total. I Can Not Say That Any Of These Are Facts. But Maybe It Is More Info Than You Had Before Or Perhaps Not. Regards Kody

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

gypsysoul that is really neat! cant believe we didnt find that page. I just emailed the guy about ours.

wonder where people are finding those low hull#'s, not the HIN's but the other ones...

Going to email the few others that we have found in our research.

Im all jumpy to get ours done now!! wish we had unlimited funds:rolleyes:

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

Here is our Id plate, just above the front center window.

P1090648.JPG

Guessing ours is #42? 74 is the year, and 28 is the size...

I have also found a volvo dealer in costa mesa that claims to have known John Carter, apparently he is still alive and cruising about in a 40fter he built. The guy is also doing a repower on another 28 safari.

Last edited:

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

well aside from the research i did go out and do some sanding and grinding for afew hours. Think we are ready for the transom now, might be able to put it in this weekend!

P1090651.JPG

P1090652.JPG

Last edited:

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

we are hoping to have it in the water July first. Cosmetics wont be done, but we can tinker with that once its in the water. We hope to get new uppholstry and canvas and 120V system over the summer aswell.

A boat is never 'done' :p

zach103

Commander

we are hoping to have it in the water July first. Cosmetics wont be done, but we can tinker with that once its in the water. We hope to get new uppholstry and canvas and 120V system over the summer aswell.

A boat is never 'done' :p

Good thinking.. well i hope you get the transom on soon.. bet its warming up up there.. .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you are making great progress. i am glad to see the up and coming young members. they one day will be replacing us older folks. you are getting a very good education on this project.

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

GUESS I WAS MISINFORMED ABOUT HOW MANY WHERE MADE. THE SAFARI WEB SITE HAD HULL NUMBERS UP INTO THE 70's. I BELIEVE THAT YOU READ YOURS CORRECT. WHICH PUTS YOUR HULL NUMBER HIGHER THAN THE AMOUNT I HAD BEEN TOLD WHERE EVER MADE. I HAVE THE LOWEST THAT I HAVE SEEN HULL NUMBER 26. I HAVE NOT SEEN ANOTHER WITH A LOWER HELM. MINE IS EQUIPED WITH DUAL HELMS ONE INSIDE AND ONE ON THE FLY BRIDGE. YOUR TRANSOM LOOKS LIKE IT IS COMING ALONG GREAT. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT FLOATING. BY THE WAY I GOOGLED THE MARINA WHERE YOU WORK. IT WAS VERY COOL TO SEE HOW FAR THESE BOATS HAVE GOTTEN SPREAD OUT. GOOD LUCK LOVE TO WATCH YOUR PROGRESS. REGARDS KODY

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

i think your number of boats is pretty close, i think some people are reading the year or size as the hull #.

Do you have any pictures of your dual helm? I can pm you my email address to send them to if you would prefer that. I have been looking at possibly adding a secondary helm.

Yeah, we hauled the boat up from seattle where we bought it. Apparently there are afew in Alaska too.

Also please avoid typing in all caps, its very hard to read.

The volvo dealer that knows John Carter was going to see if he could dig up Johns contact info.

Would be neat to make contact with him.

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hello, sorry about the caps, bad habit. my family says they think i am yellling at them all the time. i have took a picture of the helm i hope it gives you a idea of how they installed it. the seat king of folds up to the helm but sits on the counter to steer from. the lower helm just has a tach and warning buzzer "or idiot light" warning system. greg from the safari web site emailed back today says he will send more info latter. but i think there may be alot more of these boats than at firt thought. i am waiting for new exhaust manifold for my port engine. i was having overheating problems with it last time out. starboard engine already has new ones and gives no problems. i remove the port ones and they where pretty crusty. well i hope the pictures help. regards kody

Attachments

• gypsy ii 012.jpg
    gypsy ii 012.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • gypsy ii 015.jpg
    gypsy ii 015.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

wow, thats an interesting way to do it. Would have though they would have done it on the other side with the bench seat some how.

or cut the counter back, extend the raised floor over the water pump over to that side, and have the seat fold down into that area, and a cushion able to go over it. remove the cushion and raise the seat up to use the helm. put the cushion back and it would be level with the rest of the V berth, and only the 'floating' dash on the window would be there...

I got am email from Greg aswell, he has been busy and will get back to me, i also linked him here.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

we purchased all the fibreglass and wood today for the big job

P1090658.JPG

Last edited:

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

well, the first board is in!!! It went very smoothy. Used some of oops's famous peanut butter mixure to fill in an old air pocket from the previous transom, then applied a nice thick layer of mat to the board, and sandwitched it to the transom. Then took some wax paper covered 2x4's and put nice long screws and washers through existing holes in the transom and sinched the board up tight. Wiped away the oozing resin off the back and we are now ready for board 2, which may happen tomorrow, if not then sunday.

VERY NEAT!
Board cut and ready for resin and mat
P1090662.JPG

Hull air bubbles peanut buttered
P1090664.JPG

Resin saturating
P1090663.JPG

Dont have any pictures of it with the mat, kept the pace up and just threw it right on the hull!

P1090665.JPG

Mixing area
P1090666.JPG

From the outside
P1090672.JPG

(notice the tree covered in fibreglass dust, that was just what came flying out of the T hole... you can imagine that the inside looked like!!)

Last edited:

jcsercsa

Captain

LOOKING Good !!! nice job !!! think oops needs to patient, at least the name of his peanut butter !!! keep it up !! John

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

man, that looks awsome. I am in my fourty's and learning from teenagers. I love it. shows that young dogs can teach old dogs new tricks. keep up the good work guys.

I am sure it has been said here before, but I will once again give the definition of a boat. It is a hole in the water you pour money into!

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

Got the second board in, took a little while to get it fitting, then used 2 huge bolts through both boards to sandwitch together. Then pulled the peanut butter back out and sealed the board in. Then started tabbing with csm and 1708 biax. If we can find enough hardener then we may finish the transom tonight.

when we are doing the full layup, does it matter how the cloth overlaps? should the top strip overlap the bottom? or does it not matter?
Also when we are using unwaxed resin, do we need to sand in between layers if the previous layer is hard?
P1090676.JPG

P1090683.JPG

P1090685.JPG

P1090689.JPG

P1090690.JPG

Last edited:

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

First full layup of 1708 is on, we also finished glassing over the bilge drain. ran out of hardener now:(

P1090692.JPG

P1090694.JPG

P1090698.JPG

P1090696.JPG

P1090701.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.