29' Carter Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 29' Carter Safari

Wow.... it was so very cool to read this thread.

John and Alice Carter were very close family friends. My father, Richard Meredith, was also the Carter's attorney for both personal and business affairs. He was pretty involved with the business end of Carter Marine.

As a child I remember going boating with the Carters in their personal Safari often including trips through Washington and Alaska. I also remember going down to the shop in Costa Mesa and seeing boats in different stages of assembly.

I haven't seen a Safari in probably 30 years. It was great to see all the pics.

I would love to have one of these boats as it's part of my history but the reality of the situation is that I am not a boater by any means and then finding one in pretty decent condition and then storing it in Orange County is not financially feasible.

Unfortunately, I have to report that John recently passed... joining Alice who passed a couple of years ago.

I find it very cool to hear personal accounts of the company.

and im sorry to hear about John's passing.

Not much to report on the boat, been fiddling with little things here and there when i have time... im currently working 3 jobs.... so yeah... time isnt something i have much of... haha

Last edited:

flomerdr

Cadet

To DaBigKahuna, I think you may have miss heard a report on John Carter, he did in fact celebrate his 100th Birthday in April. Here is the story from the OC Register including a video of the 50 Gun Salute the Trap Club held for him. <http://www.ocregister.com/articles/carter-351426-shoot-until.html>

flomerdr

Cadet

P8010007.jpgTo anyone out there with Carter Marine Safari 28, I have #77 and I am in the process of replacing the fuel tank. If you have one of the old boats with a fiberglass fuel tank I can give you the dimensions of my aluminum tank and recommend a fabricator here in the NW to build a new one that meets Coast Guard requirements. The attached photo is with the deck section removed. This is a separate cover on the boats with AL tanks, the one boat I know of with a fiberglass tank may require cutting the fiberglass/gel coat to remove the tank. On mine the deck cover was glued down & screwed in place with 5200 or something like it. I ended up buying a Rockwell vibrating scraper after using a friends, it does a great job of cutting through the 5200. Will post some more photos of the old tank removed and the new one going back in.

jbcurt00

Staff member

---------------Andrew

Might review the forum rules:

no selling on the forum

this thread is inactive since Legoman hasn't posted in it for @15months, as indicated by the big red banner at the bottom of the browser window, and should be considered closed to posting until Legoman posts here

refrain from posting your personal info (ph#, address, email) on the open forum

veearesix

Recruit

GUESS I WAS MISINFORMED ABOUT HOW MANY WHERE MADE. THE SAFARI WEB SITE HAD HULL NUMBERS UP INTO THE 70's. I BELIEVE THAT YOU READ YOURS CORRECT. WHICH PUTS YOUR HULL NUMBER HIGHER THAN THE AMOUNT I HAD BEEN TOLD WHERE EVER MADE. I HAVE THE LOWEST THAT I HAVE SEEN HULL NUMBER 26. I HAVE NOT SEEN ANOTHER WITH A LOWER HELM. MINE IS EQUIPED WITH DUAL HELMS ONE INSIDE AND ONE ON THE FLY BRIDGE. YOUR TRANSOM LOOKS LIKE IT IS COMING ALONG GREAT. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT FLOATING. BY THE WAY I GOOGLED THE MARINA WHERE YOU WORK. IT WAS VERY COOL TO SEE HOW FAR THESE BOATS HAVE GOTTEN SPREAD OUT. GOOD LUCK LOVE TO WATCH YOUR PROGRESS. REGARDS KODY

Wanted to bump this thread up to anybody that is still interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.