Transom outer shell horizontal crack repair - I need advice

rubberbelly

Seaman
Okay the transom rot is partially removed and I discovered the transom outer glass has a horizontal crack in it from the outboard putting stress on it. The crack goes all the way through.

Before I move to replacing the transom wood, what do I search on for making a repair to the skin?

From reading some posts on hull repair it looks like it needs to be reglassed on the inside first. Anything I should be worried about as far as it re-cracking due to its location? The crack is at least 12" long.

Thanks,
Jason

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom outer shell horizontal crack repair - I need advice

the only way the repair will crack ! is if you do a bad prep job.....

if the crack is a rip....."v" the edges in the inside..and scuff around the area
clean with aceitone...
.add oops super dooper peanut butter...(with chopped strand filler... see posts 1990 ish of the hull extension thread)

scuff the inside area...clean with acietone .and add a layer of matt then a veil cloth...then matt then a finishing veil......or a full transom peice of 1708 is best.

if it is not a rip....you can for go the peanut butter.....

do the same from the out side.....if you are picky about having a "bump" there....you will need to fair it with a fairing compound....then paint....the whole repair....might take you 4 hours.....out side and in....(with out fairing)

on the inside...make sure it is as smooth as you can get it or when you install the transom there will be a high spot where the repair is.....

if a high spot on the inside is unavoidable....use another layer of 1708 over the whole thransom but cutting a hole where the high spot is.
kinda like a doughnut, with the high spot in the middle.

hope that helps
cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw....welcome to i boats

rubberbelly

Seaman

Thanks for the welcome Oops, you need an index for your thread :D

I'll try to post some pictures tonight, I am going to repaint the entire boat anyway and I will be pretty particular on the cosmetic repair on the outside. Will probably be using seacast for the transom.

Here is a link to the thread I started for the complete project: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=278526

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you go seacast....forget about the big 1708 layups.....the seacast is structural....and will hold it just fine....but you still need to do the basic glass repair.

and yeah....the extension thread is turning out to be monster big....an index is a good idea

rubberbelly

Seaman

Here is an overall view of the transom:
2948371604_1ee168f689.jpg

And zoomed in on the crack:
2947518707_d40ff223b5.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yeah....someone tried to repair a rotten transom by bolting a peice of wood on the outside........your lucky you didnt loose your motoe and sink.

there is also serious cracks in the gellcoat due to pressure on the transom....seacast or not.....id fix it the way i mentioned as well as a full peice of 1708 across the inner side of the transom

rubberbelly

Seaman

It was actually 1/4 plate aluminum. Ha ha yeah I just bought it and it has never been on the water with me in it luckily:)

Thanks for the help, I wanna do it right!