Fuel Tank Replacement...1976 Mako?

pafisher1234

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking into buying a 20' Mako Center with a 115 Yamaha for 2500 and it says it needs a fuel tank. Im wondering how hard it would be to do this myself? Any advice?

Stoutcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fuel Tank Replacement...1976 Mako?

Hi Pafisher1234,

Not quite sure about your question... Are you looking for a source for a replacement tank? Do you want to fabricate it yourself or have someone make it for you? (See: http://www.yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm)

Will you put the fuel tank in place?

Photos also would help...

Alan

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would inspect that boat very carefully, if the tank is shot, other things will be also. wet foam, rotten stringers.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Amen on that statement we all know how 2500 boats turn into 7-10 grand boats pretty fast...may I suggest you read through these forums, learn what to look for....and buy something newer?

pafisher1234

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I kinda figured it be too good. Thanks for the advice.

83ProLine

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For what is worth. . . I could barely get the 69gallon tank out of the floor of my center console after I had gutted the decking from the entire boat!

The d*mn thing was practically glassed in!

Good luck, man - keep us posted!

Regards,

James

BillP

Captain

You may want to try the mako site. I haven't been there in a long time but they had great pics and how to descriptions on major rebuilding. I remember one of the guys pulled something like 350lbs of wet foam out of his 17CC when doing stringers...which were originally plywood.

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Speaking of fuel tanks....when putting them back in place, is there supposed to be something under it isolating it from the hull? When I dragged mine home the fuel tank had been pulled from it's home and just thrown back into the boat before I came to get it. I found 7 or 8 pieces of rubber about 18 inches long laying in the hole for the tank. I'm not sure if that's what the tank was sitting on or not. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

gas tank to be isolated from the hull with rubber strips.but as stated before Ive seen them almost glassed in as part of the boat.