How to install a pedestal seat in a fiberglass boat?

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all,

I have a 1990 Arima Sea Sprinter and want to put a pedestal seat on the port side of the boat, the floor is fiberglass and I?m not sure how to mount it securely.

The port side currently has a back to back lounge, but it isn?t conducive to fishing because it takes up to much room on the aft deck. There is a pedestal seat at the helm already and I want to replace it and replace the BB with one like it, I have searched to posts but haven?t found anything that addresses this.

Any ideas as to how to mount it so it is solid and wont pull out of the glass?

Will try to post pictures with this.

Thanks Jeff.

Picture091.jpg

Picture093.jpg

Picture094.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to install a pedestal seat in a fiberglass boat?

can u get under the deck?

uasually there is another peice of ply wood under the deck ....as a pedistal has lots of different pressures on it and can pull out.....

if you can get under there.......add another peice of ply under the area where the base will attach to.....and bolt thru or screw to that.......use standard methods to stop deck rot around the screws & bolts.

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

this is what i did no screws in the floor i just biuldt the bases out to 2 3/4 plywood and glassed them together. then ran bolts counter sunk on the bottom, and extending about 1/2 above the wood and glassed them in place. then glassed them to the deck.

seat002.jpg

seat003.jpg

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Oops, sorry to have left out that information. But no unfortunately I can?t get under the deck, that is the reason I am trying to figure out how to mount the new seat.

I might have to call Arima and see how to mount it.

Brian I will keep that in mind.

Thanks Jeff

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you cant get under the deck.....brians way is the best......its just that there is a mismatch in the deck height and some people keep kicking the base......brian did a real good job of those

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

thanks oops

it wasnt hard to do at all i figured i did all this hard work on a new stringer and deck i didnt want to put anymore holes in the deck other than the screws to attach the deck to the stringer.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

I spoke with Belinda at Arima today and she told me it was just a mater of taking out the old seat and screwing down the new pedestal seat with #14 screws about 2 1/2? long.

She said that there is wood under the deck to mount the seat to, just drill pilot holes and fill with silicone and install the new seat.

Jeff.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

dogged a bullit there bud ! :)

most dont have that extra peice of wood

cheers
oops

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

My old 88 Four Winns came with pedestal seats up front and a bench in the back. When I pulled out the old rotted deck I found two 3/4 in square plywood pieces under the 1/2 in deck to support the pedestals. You can see them in these pix. So I just duplicated that in the rebuild. One thing to add, keep in mind that the deadrise of the hull may be such that there may not be much clearance for drilling when you get close to the outboard side of the hull, so be careful about drilling so you don't go thru the bottom of the hull! And for sure, seal all holes with 3M 4200, that's what I did.

Attachments

• Boat 1a.jpg
    Boat 1a.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 11
  • foam in.jpg
    foam in.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 11
  • tank mounting.jpg
    tank mounting.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 9

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Ok Lou, thanks.

Jeff.