1962 Shell Lake Boat

aspitfire

Cadet
I dont have a lot of information on the boat yet, as i just picked it up this morning. I do know it is a Shell Lake Co. Boat and it is belived to be from 1962, came with a small Mercury 20hp 200series motor on it.

Just cleaned the inside out today and snapped a few pics. The resto project is about to begin, and i dont know a thing about these boats. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• boat1 (Medium).JPG
    boat1 (Medium).JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1
  • boat2 (Medium).JPG
    boat2 (Medium).JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 1
  • boat3 (Medium).JPG
    boat3 (Medium).JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 1

Labman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1962? Shell Lake Boat

I no nothing about the boat, other than it is Beautiful. I loved it back when the boat manuf. designed their hulls to look like high end auto's.

aspitfire

Cadet
Re: 1962 Shell Lake Boat

Thanks i think she is a beaut as well. :)

Thank you for the link i will check it out.
Now i need to figure out a new motor for it. Anyone know how big i should go with it? I dont want to over power or have a big heavy motor for it, but would like something with enough get up and go. I did find a '68 85hp johnson locally, that came out of a '68 15' shell lake boat, that also comes with everything including the cable steering set up. I would assume that since the 85hp came out of a 15' that it would work well in mine. Opinions?

Motor:1968 Johnson 85 HP Model V4A-V4AL-20A
Any opinions on the motor?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

great looking boat......and a super candidate for resto......

read the uscg rules on max rated hp.....there is calculations to figgure out the max rated hp.......the depends on the legnth times beam.....an 85 is about right.....

how are the stringers and transom?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What's the length on it? I have a 16' aluminum starcraft and it's max rated at the 85 I have on it. I think a '68 Johnson had electric shift which can be an issue if a shifting solenoid goes bad as they are no longer available. I believe you gotta go '73 or newer to get away from electric shift.

aspitfire

Cadet

I think i am a little ahead of myself on the whole motor thing. After going over the boat with a fine tooth comb i think i will be replacing the floor. I found 1 weak spot where it has rotted away. I have yet to remove the old motor and examin the transom further, i did take off the aluminum end caps and the transome appears to be well. I will be taking the floor out later this week and begin the replacement. In the mean time i am studing Runabout Renovations by Jim Anderson, and i am learning a ton! I just hope i can get thru this floor replacement procedure. Again any advice from you guys is more then welcome.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

I just bought a 1961 runabout last weekend for $100 trailer included and i'm also in process of ripping up the deck to replace the stringers.

aspitfire

Cadet

I just bought a 1961 runabout last weekend for $100 trailer included and i'm also in process of ripping up the deck to replace the stringers.

Thats just what i found out tonight. I took the main floor out this evening and found that the 3 stringers were rotten.

Also took the motor off and transom cap and found that 1/3 of the transom was also rotten. So that will need to be replace as well. I will have more progress pics up tomorrow, right now i am tired and am going to bed. KeepNitreel, i will PM you.

Josh

aspitfire

Cadet

updated pics. Took most of the floor up to find rotting stringers, pulled the motor off to find rotting transom.

My one question is, in the front of the boat you can see where the stringers go near the front, and under the bow of the boat, to an area where there is just fiberglass no floor. Do i need to pull up all that fiberglass in order to get the stringers out and replace them?

Attachments

• boatfloor (Medium).jpg
    boatfloor (Medium).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1
  • boatfrontfloor (Medium).JPG
    boatfrontfloor (Medium).JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 1
  • boatrearfloor (Medium).jpg
    boatrearfloor (Medium).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1
  • boatstringer (Medium).JPG
    boatstringer (Medium).JPG
    85 KB · Views: 1

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

The curves on the transom are sweet! What color do you plain on painting her?

aspitfire

Cadet

yea i love the curves on the splash well. We havent decided yet, as that is quite a ways down the road. We have either blue or white in mind. But again i gotta replace the stringers and transom first, then do a bunch of fiberglass work, and find a new windshield, then find a powerplant for her

jcsercsa

Captain

Frist and formost welcome !!! what a find !! love the looks of her !! sounds like you got some work to do on her , but when you get her done and in the water !!!!! OOOHHH MAN what a feeling !! I just got mine done to where i could to take her out last week !!!!!!!! I couldnt belive how much difference it made in her !!!!!! I did the same thing you are going threw now !! its all worth it !!!!!
And 85 hp does sound about right for her !! with that on you could pull two skiers on her with no problem !!! it would scoot her really well !! I am running a 1962 100hp merc on mine , got a pertty good deal on it and went and seen it before I got it and really trusted the guy [ call him uncle joe now ] got it off of ebay !!
So keep us post on how it going and keep them pics comming !! John

aspitfire

Cadet

Here is a small update. Me and a buddy got the cap off the hull and cut out the rest of the floor and removed the stringers. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• DSC02442 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02442 (Medium).JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02443 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02443 (Medium).JPG
    75 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02445 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02445 (Medium).JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02446 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02446 (Medium).JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02459 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02459 (Medium).JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 1

aspitfire

Cadet

old stringers and where they used to be

Attachments

• DSC02464 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02464 (Medium).JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02465 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02465 (Medium).JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 1

jcsercsa

Captain

looking good !! them stringers look in better shape then mine did when i took them out !! what are you going to use poly or epoxy ?? John

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

I wish my stringers came out in one piece:mad: Mines was more like wet saw dust:eek: Nice job taking the floor out, looks like you'll be ready for the new season.

aspitfire

Cadet

looking good !! them stringers look in better shape then mine did when i took them out !! what are you going to use poly or epoxy ?? John

not quite sure yet, my buddy is going to help me with the glassing as i know nothing about it.

I am more worried about tackeling the transom then anything else, just the thought of cutting it out has my stomach turning.

bcsides2007

Recruit

I know this is an older thread, but I was just gonna ask if you ever finished her up. I used to have one of those too, and I replaced the floor also. Wish I never got rid of it. Hope you had fun doing the restore.