Replacing Bayliner Capri stringers/deck with pix

F14CRAZY

Ensign
Re: Replacing Bayliner Capri stringers/deck with pix

I have done that but try not to because the hull becomes an awfully slick gooey mess...I would save some resin though...

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I've been workin away at it...I've got the stringers all covered, just need to add one more layer to one more bulkhead and the transom, then I can mess with the deck.

Do need to check that my engine mounts are about the right height

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Got some pics of the latest work?

F14CRAZY

Ensign

its been a long time coming...

l_c672ac57139e4b36bf70fba2747fe792.jpg

got the decking in the cabin ready to be installed

l_198eb501f2d7479e9d193e0067b3aa86.jpg

view from the boarding platform. The main piece of decking and the small pieces beside the engine bay are in. I'll be tabbing it in with 4'' tape and a layer or two of 1.5 oz or whatever it is I have. I plan on painting the deck afterwards and using snap in carpet.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Recent progress

l_c3540edb246a458bbf77b000ad89eeae.jpg

forward-most piece of deck in the cabin

l_82ee3d50dfcc46f9bcfb322c8ae53444.jpg

just some closeup images

l_447a782735c4444c8f581a6866051c5f.jpg

l_43f6cca498af4401adb12969fab43bfd.jpg

picked up an inspection cover from West Marine to go here

F14CRAZY

Ensign

l_65a8f467b62b45688a73798bc3e4bab4.jpg

l_3fbf9ec7cba6435fbf5d81230d096974.jpg

l_c3c33c363ace4ff197d1a38c25f7f7c6.jpg

tonight's progress was good

jcsercsa

Captain

Where yea been F14 ??? Looking good !! like the close up if all your edges look like that I would hire yea any time !!! LOL nice work !!! John

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

Saw your question about adding some vent

You probably don't want a vent to the bilge other than the standard 4 hose bilge venting system. Any fumes in the bilge would vent into the passenger area to some degree with deck vents.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Where yea been F14 ??? Looking good !! like the close up if all your edges look like that I would hire yea any time !!! LOL nice work !!! John

I work for the family business as a plumber...it's just caulking another tub :D

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Saw your question about adding some vent

You probably don't want a vent to the bilge other than the standard 4 hose bilge venting system. Any fumes in the bilge would vent into the passenger area to some degree with deck vents.

thanks for the answer too, J. Mark. I was still wondering about that. Aside from the cut out for the fuel tank ports, the PVC pipe in the bottom of the bilge, and the round inspection cover in the floor of the cabin, the deck is sealed (or so will be with epoxy and fabric).

I'm thinking after I seal the deck that I'll paint it with some non skid paint from Lowes in a very light tan or off white. I might as well paint the cabin compartments, bilge, and everything else with that same color. I believe I read a good thread that high quality house paint is just fine to use for this which sounds good to me. My vinyl is in the process of being redone in medium blue and tan...don't know what I don't have pix of that yet.

Still undecided on a final floor covering. If I like the non skid stuff I'll stick with it. Otherwise I still like my idea of that industrial/commercial/kitchen rubber matting (not glued in or anything), or the exercise jigsaw puzzle mats, again not glued in, or snap in carpet. I would like to be able to dry the deck off after use

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Wish mine looked that good.At least I know not to put in a bath tub or tile.Cant wit to see it floating.Mater of fact cant wait to see mine done to.

MrMarine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looking real good. As for the flooring i would not go with the foam that is not attached. You may regret it on a windy day or when your haulin arss on the water or trailering. I would hate to hafto remove it everytime i travel with the boat if ya know what i meen. Your glassing job is superb. Keep up the good work.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

no new pix for tonight, but I basically had the day off and put like 8 hours into the seat boxes. All cut up and the vertical pieces are epoxy-ed in place. I'll attach the "lid" tomorrow. As I've mentioned before the upper "seat boxes" that the seats themselves actually attach to are still good and I will be reusing them.

I originally bought either 4 or 5 sheets of 1/2'' marine ply from Lowes...my stock is getting low but I think I'll have enough for the engine enclosure and the framing for the jump seats. Otherwise I have some new, good scraps and a whole sheet of exterior ply I can use. I used some exterior ply for the vertical pieces of the cabin cushion "boxes".

I can definitely tell that the hull is getting more ridged every time I epoxy in some more wood :)

My self-set deadline for the vessel, now known as the Tomcat, is set to May 4th, 13 days from now. As long as work allows me enough free time I hope to be setting the engine in place by this weekend and will build the engine compartment and jump seat boxes around it.

My sterndrive will be receiving new ball gears and water impeller, and the big block 3.0L will receive a new water pump and thermostat.

I sent the original compass to back to Richie and they refilled it with fluid, replaced the broken illumination bar-thing, and made it look as it did brand new for $67 and included a new mounting gasket.

Plenty of work for me to do but I'm keeping at it

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I used 4'' tape on the inside of the seat boxes to reinforce it the best I could, then bonded the "lids" on. Used fillets and tape along the edges.

Also used some more tape to reinforce the cabin boxes. I'm basically done in there but may add some more. Also coated more panels in there with epoxy.

When I'm finished putting in all the wood I'll cover everything with 1.5 oz fabric then paint. I think I'll go with the Interlux flooring stuff...any experience with it? Otherwise I may used the non-skid household paint that Lowes sells.

I've found that I definitely prefer woodworking or bonding over laying glass...what an awful job lol

...I forgot to insert this pic of today's work

l_0d575412ace14438a3abf772834e50b4.jpg

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Nice clean 'butter work there. Looking very solid. 1.5 oz fabric is really light. Sure you don't want something a little heavier like 6 or 8 oz to clover the ply?

I wasn't too crazy about laying up glass myself when I started, but after a while I got the hang of it and it's not so bad. I find that when working with odd shaped surfaces, sometimes it better to work with smaller pieces of glass rather then try to conform a larger piece of glass to some funky compound shape.

But youre right, its not as much fun as cutting the ply.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Nice clean 'butter work there. Looking very solid. 1.5 oz fabric is really light. Sure you don't want something a little heavier like 6 or 8 oz to clover the ply?

I wasn't too crazy about laying up glass myself when I started, but after a while I got the hang of it and it's not so bad. I find that when working with odd shaped surfaces, sometimes it better to work with smaller pieces of glass rather then try to conform a larger piece of glass to some funky compound shape.

But youre right, its not as much fun as cutting the ply.

Indeed it is light. I was reading a thread here somewhere that suggested using 1.5-2 oz but like you mentioned, 6-8 oz seems more right. I'll get some with my next order from US Composites or ebay.

Bedrest2

Seaman

Looking really good F-14, keep this post up to date as I am using it as a bench
mark for my rebuild. Like all the close ups and how you explain things.
Could you post or PM me how you make up the "peanut butter"?
I think I seen a post from you that mention Traverse city is that your local?
That's my fall fishing trip local.
Hope you meet your launch date.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Looking really good F-14, keep this post up to date as I am using it as a bench
mark for my rebuild. Like all the close ups and how you explain things.
Could you post or PM me how you make up the "peanut butter"?
I think I seen a post from you that mention Traverse city is that your local?
That's my fall fishing trip local.
Hope you meet your launch date.

"Peanut butter" is made by mixing West System Colloidal Silica (aka cabosil) with the epoxy until it has the consistency of peanut butter.

I'm in Dimondale, near Lansing, but have a cottage in Mancelona. I've had the Capri up to Traverse City though and is one of my places to go