Replacing Bayliner Capri stringers/deck with pix

F14CRAZY

Ensign
Re: Replacing Bayliner flooring (w/ pix)

I read your story Nova...looks like you were definitely on the right track.

GOOD thing is I don't have a wife/gf to tell me to give up and sell. I'm going to do this, and I'm going to do this with time left over to be able to have it in the water, in Michigan, before it gets way to cold to even think of it (lol). I'll do it and do it right.

BTW guys I picked up the plywood from Lowes today...that stuff is definitely different. And a PT 4''x4'' for the engine mounts. It'll have some time to dry. Also today I did some more hacking away and the rotten junk. I haven't got to the cuddy yet but will be tearing into there soon. The Capri is now in the barn and out of the rain and a 500 watt floodlight is enabling me to work on it in the evening.

This whole boat thing started when my bro, my buddy Robert, and I were on our Jet Ski's on Torch Lake. We had dinner and were hanging out at The Dockside and I swear we said "daaaayum", "holy...", "omg..." so many times...on the way home I just HAD to get a boat. You know why ;)

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I've got the pix working this time...

bay1.jpg

bay2.jpg

bay3.jpg

bay4.jpg

bay5.jpg

bay6.jpg

F14CRAZY

Ensign

more pix

bay07.jpg

bay8.jpg

bay9.jpg

bay10.jpg

I was wondering, instead of carpet can I epoxy over the deck, sand smooth (maybe leave a little rough for traction, or add grit) then paint it? Is there a good thread on how to do that?

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

OMG you have quite a project on your hands. Keep with it and take your time.

jcsercsa

Captain

OHH Man that a great way to pull the motor !! and redeye is right you got some work to do !! keep them pics comming !! john

zach103

Commander

Dont you hate that foam.. that was the worst part i thought

F14CRAZY

Ensign

heh yeah, My cherry picker definitely wasn't going to be able to pull the motor out. I could have rigged up a chainfall in the barn but the backhoe, though barely enough, was enough.

A lot of work but I'm trying to do it right and sticking to it. No new progress today though I did pick up some new cutting wheels at Lowes

jcsercsa

Captain

Love them cut off wheels , I did allmost my hole boat with them !! even most of the grinding with them , think i went through only 3 of them !!!

yep this time you will know she is done right !! i was really disapointed when i tore in to mine and seen that my stringers werent all glassed in and even my transom wasnt fully glassed !! they are now !!!

keep up the good work and keep us posted !! John

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Wow! Such progress! And you will be very happy to have that 3.0L when you start fueling it up.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

No new pix, but tonight I cut the top off the right stringer, then cut off the inside "wall" of its encapsulation, then pried out the wood itself. While intact, its VERY wet, again water squeezes out with some thumb pressure. It wasn't to the point of a screwdriver getting stuck in it though (layman terms for stringer condition :D)

I cleaned up the remains of the right foam box under the jumpseat.

I also removed the left side engine mount/stringer. VERY wet again. I was able to poke at the transom through there and its in BAD shape, can poke a screwdriver all the way through it.

When my weekly budget allows I'll be ordering some 3/4 marine plywood and getting some West System stuff

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Also wish to say...

The encapsulation over the majority of the length of the right stringer and the engine mounts (pretty much what I've been tearing into) I've noticed that the fiberglass isn't stuck to the wood hardly at all. Aren't they supposed to be bonded together? While both the wooden stringer material and the fiberglass around them are strong, in my mind it would seem like they would be much stronger when bonded together because there wouldn't couldn't at all flex independently...are boats like this or is this a cheap factory job by Bayliner?

And, the encapsulation definitely IS NOT water resistant. Hell there's FOAM in there...they really did pump the foam in just to rot your stringers. I've found numerous holes...not drilled holes but places lacking fiberglass

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where's our in-house polyester salesman when you need him ?

He could surely tell you why the poly/cloth combo didn't stick to the wood.

Enjoy

rngale

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My guess would be either they didnt hot coat them and the resin was sucked away from the cloth at time of lamination creating a lack of resin and iar bubbles as the resin cured, or the water seperated the wood from the stringers. In reality, the wood portion of the stringer serves as a mold for the glass to form to when laying them up. If nothing is bolted through them then there is no danger of crushing the glass so to speak. In theory you cuold make a mold of a stringer, release it,set the part in place of the stiger and glass it in hollow, provided that you will never through bolt anything ie the engine mounts.

Renny_D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My guess would be either they didnt hot coat them and the resin was sucked away from the cloth at time of lamination creating a lack of resin and iar bubbles as the resin cured, or the water seperated the wood from the stringers. In reality, the wood portion of the stringer serves as a mold for the glass to form to when laying them up. If nothing is bolted through them then there is no danger of crushing the glass so to speak. In theory you cuold make a mold of a stringer, release it,set the part in place of the stiger and glass it in hollow, provided that you will never through bolt anything ie the engine mounts.

Could you just make solid fiberglass stringers? Seems like that would make is so you never had to replace them. Also if you cut out just one side of the fiberglass on the stringer then pull the wood - does that remaining wall of fiberglass have enough rigidity to support the boat while the stringer is out?

I'm watching this with Keen interest as I'm due for a deck replacement soon.

Thanks
Renny

F14CRAZY

Ensign

deh I'm guessing so...consider that with most all the wood out and the engine/sterndrive the hull is really only supporting itself and whoever is standing in it

rngale

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A solid fiberglass stringer would be way to heavy and very expensive to build, and not needed either. There is some foam core that will work for stringers but it is ungodly expensive. It has a 1200lb/sq inch crush rating i beleive. I put a set of stringers in a 42 footer with it and it cost about 3grand for the foam alone. granted the stringers were 3 inches wide and 26 feet long, 14 inches up forward and 4 inches aft times 2.

The real strenght of the fiberglass comes from the "U" shape that is created.

When you get ready to install the stringers, do yourself a favor and get a 3/8 or 1/2 inch round over bit for a router and round the top edges of the stringers, it will make doing the glassing alot easier. Remeber the larger the radius the easier the glass will bend around it.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Sorry for the lack of updates. I do have some pix I'll upload, but I've pretty much got everything cut out of the hull. Some scuffing and cleaning and I should be able to start glassing fairly soon...

Anyway, I've found a great thread on this site about fabrics, and have been reading my West System manual, but what fabric should I get for my stringers and transom? From my manual, I should be using 22 oz biaxial fabric...is that correct? I'll be using epoxy, probably West System but if anyone has a cheaper suggestion PLEASE let me know. Their price for their fabric is outrageous...

Would I use like 1.5 oz chopped strand mat over the stringer first in one layer, then build it up with 22 oz?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIBERGLASS-CLOTH-WOVEN-ROVING-24-0UNCE-50-WIDE-25YDS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ26451QQihZ011QQitemZ320293473793

Is this fabric suitable for my repairs? I know I might need a longer roll.

I need some good fabric/epoxy at a good price :cool:. Any other suggestions? Thanks guys.

Note: there are a couple local auto body supply stores I could get stuff from but I do need to know what to ask for...they tend to not like talking, they just wanna sell

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Anyone work with uscomposites.com?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I ordered from fiberglasssite.com. Good prices, and they are helpfull on the phone.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I ordered from fiberglasssite.com. Good prices, and they are helpfull on the phone.

Should I simply call them and tell them what I'm doing?