Replacing Bayliner Capri stringers/deck with pix

F14CRAZY

Ensign
Re: Replacing Bayliner Capri stringers/deck with pix

so, Grand Point Marina, the local OMC service place and former dealer (still Evinrude/Johnson) says they CAN'T get it apart...the shift mechanism is pressed together and will be destroyed if they try :confused:

...yea, wtf-ever, not when I'm looking at the OMC manual myself on how to do it, I just don't have the 909881 tool for it.

So, online I've ordered all the related seals and tools to do it myself, like $60. Gonna be another weekend without the Capri :(. least I have my Jet Ski though

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry man but if your going to keep her, you probably need the tools to service her.Now at least you wont be at the mercy of the repairman.Your him.Looks great and soon will be riding great.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I know. I'm thinking of ordering all the special shimming tools and stuff for when the day comes

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Hey man you done with my boat yet?Where you at.

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

You got it in the bag. Terrific !

Umm, I could handle takin' that 455 for a twirl. lol

F14CRAZY

Ensign

sry I've been slacking on pix, but yeah, she's pretty much done and fully operational. Took a trip from Benton Harbor, MI to Chicago and spent the 4th on Torch Lake

l_0cbd8369cc314e3bb606a1da273e28be.jpg

l_1c25c883fa1644d59a08a6b8f4a01b17.jpg

oh, and of course:

l_345751ae3c7f45d9b12ad7a35aee69a3.jpg

it's holding up well, sterndrive isn't leaking/leaking in anymore...life's good! and yes, it was worth the countless hours and thousands of dollars I've dumped into it

jcsercsa

Captain

Cool F14 she looks great !!! feels good doesnt it !!! John

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks great. I really like that top.

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sry I've been slacking on pix, but yeah, she's pretty much done and fully operational. Took a trip from Benton Harbor, MI to Chicago and spent the 4th on Torch Lake

l_0cbd8369cc314e3bb606a1da273e28be.jpg

l_1c25c883fa1644d59a08a6b8f4a01b17.jpg

oh, and of course:

l_345751ae3c7f45d9b12ad7a35aee69a3.jpg

it's holding up well, sterndrive isn't leaking/leaking in anymore...life's good! and yes, it was worth the countless hours and thousands of dollars I've dumped into it

in your last photo, are you uhhhhhhh.....smokinnnnn....uhhhhhh....something?:eek::D

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I think you need a roach clip for that last photo! You deserve a victory "cigar" so to say. You have done a nice job.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

lol that's a watermelon cigar. I don't really smoke but will on special occasions.

I found the canopy/bimini top on craigslist from an '84. It's in pretty much perfect shape, I just had to get some hardware for it. It came with the rear part too...dunno what it's called but I'd kinda call it a camper or overnight top which was pretty nice for when it was raining at the dock in Chicago. It was $125 and I'd much rather have a factory top rather than a universal one.

The only thing I really need to do is to add carpet to the sides of the hull inside and the cabin when I get around to it.

Thanks for all the compliments, encouragement, and help along the way. I'd definitely fly one of those "see on iBoats.com" pennants if someone comes up with one

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lol that's a watermelon cigar. I don't really smoke but will on special occasions.

I found the canopy/bimini top on craigslist from an '84. It's in pretty much perfect shape, I just had to get some hardware for it. It came with the rear part too...dunno what it's called but I'd kinda call it a camper or overnight top which was pretty nice for when it was raining at the dock in Chicago. It was $125 and I'd much rather have a factory top rather than a universal one.

The only thing I really need to do is to add carpet to the sides of the hull inside and the cabin when I get around to it.

Thanks for all the compliments, encouragement, and help along the way. I'd definitely fly one of those "see on iBoats.com" pennants if someone comes up with one

Yeah I like them "watermelon cigars" too. hehehe ;) Great job on the boat.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Man your boat looks great! Gives me motivation.

foobash

Cadet

Just read through your post. Nice job. It is great motivation for me.

The only question I have is about epoxy resin. How many gallons did you end up using? I am going to deck and cross-drill (reinforce) stringers with epoxy resin on an 18' Bayliner. Can't decide to order 5 gallons to start then more as I go (if needed), or just order 10 gallons for peace of mind.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Richard

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Get the 10 you will probably need more. I used 12 to 13 on mine and did not do stringers. Floor transom, seat bases and uprights for the cuddy.

foobash

Cadet

Get the 10 you will probably need more. I used 12 to 13 on mine and did not do stringers. Floor transom, seat bases and uprights for the cuddy.

Yeah. I think I am going to get the 10. Doubt I will need more than this though. More like 7ish from liberal calculations. Theoretical Calculations from the company is about 4 gallons. Of course that is not factoring in a lot of variables, mainly the newbie variable. :)

The way the pricing/shipping, it makes no sense to just buy 7. Either 1/2, 1, 2, 5, or 10. So 10 it will be.

Thanks,

Rich