1957 Larson Thunderhawk

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have come across one of the neatest looking boats with it's factory trailer (Tear drop wheel fenders looks like someone stole they of an old Cord ).
It's a 1957 Thunderhawk by Larson, it is a little rough but complete except for it's motor. It has wings on the back and what looks more like signal lights on the bow than nav lights.
My question is that there are cracks in the floor that goes toward the lenght of the boat. They laid the stringers flat instead of up and down which is why there are cracks.
To repair this type would it be the same princesible as the up and down type stringers or is there more to the flooring than I can see.
Any idea of what size of motor was on this as there is no placard as to HP size or weigh limit.

stevewolverton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1957 Larson Thunderhawk

Any idea of what size of motor was on this as there is no placard as to HP size or weigh limit.

:eek: WANT! WANT! WANT! I want that boat! :eek:

Try fiberglassics.com for the boat info. I'm guessing a 40 was probably the max for it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think in '57 the 30 or 35 were the powerhouses of the day. should probably hold a 2 cylinder 50 very nicely. it would not have placard or HIN. they were not required until 1972. where are the pictures??

CATransplant

Admiral

A late 50's 35hp Big Twin would be a perfect match for that boat. It's what the boat was designed for. There are tons of them around, and for really reasonable prices. Parts are available, and they're dead easy to work on.

Just avoid any with electric shift.

My choice would be a 1957 Javelin. Great looks. Second choice would be a 1958 RDS-20 Super Seahorse. Also great looks.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

CAT is right, a late 50's 35hp Big Twin or early 60's 40 hp twin would be just the ticket. The only difference between E-rude and Johnson motors in the 50's is the cowls and paint colors. Both are easy to work on and maintain, but the Johson's get my vote (a slim preference) cause the cowls are easier to open...they open up, front or rear. E-rudes of that era are hinged across the top, like a clamshell...no prob on land but kind of a pain on the water. The larger, one-piece cowls on later models are easy to pull when you have to.

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was hoping for those answers on hp as I was given a white 1963 Westbend twin cly. 35hp with electric start a while back.
I will be starting a new thread in the next couple of days as soon as I can get all the pictures put together.

lundungurl

Cadet

Hi jusfloatin' I also have a '57 thunderhawk. It's the jr model, 14 1/2 ft with a johnson super seahorse 35hp motor. It's definately a project and I'll be start the sanding on it today. I too love the fins, gives it much charactor. If anyone has any info about this boat, please contact me. I'm looking to do a complete restore and I hardly know where to begin. The fiberglass is in pretty good shape, nothing major but it looks real ugly right now. I'm attaching some pics. I know the black is not original.

Attachments

• boat 005 copy.jpg
    boat 005 copy.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 3
  • boat 001 copy.jpg
    boat 001 copy.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 3
  • boat 003 copy.jpg
    boat 003 copy.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 2
  • boat 006 copy.jpg
    boat 006 copy.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well some new news, as I was digging out the junk and debrie I found the placard as it turns out it is a 1959 not a 57.
It is rated for a max 60hp with a capacity of 1525lbs.
It also has 2 plates on the transom where the motor clamps tighten onto. They are spead out as if it was intended to run twin motors.
Could this be?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Could be. Looks like you need to look for a pair of 33's or 2 Big Twins. The 56 model and earlier Big Twins were either 25 or 30 hp, went to 35hp in 57.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

remember seeing one years ago the lights of the fins, were used as trailer lights.

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pics?!:D Thats gonna be a quick lil boat!

57whitehouse

Chief Petty Officer

Hi jusfloatin' I also have a '57 thunderhawk. It's the jr model, 14 1/2 ft with a johnson super seahorse 35hp motor. It's definately a project and I'll be start the sanding on it today. I too love the fins, gives it much charactor. If anyone has any info about this boat, please contact me. I'm looking to do a complete restore and I hardly know where to begin. The fiberglass is in pretty good shape, nothing major but it looks real ugly right now. I'm attaching some pics. I know the black is not original.

What's the progress on this boat? I would love to see new pics.

Thunder hawk

Recruit

Hi,

I am new to this forum and actually new to all forums. I have a Larson Thunderhawk Jr. with a 70 hp. Keikhaufer Mercury engine. Been in my family for 30 years. Always stored inside and in pretty good overall condition. Does anyone know where can I get an idea what the boat and moter is worth? The boat is a blast to drive. I just don't have the time or skill to fix the dock dings in the fiberglass. It has been taking up space in my garage for the past four years.

Gene Thestoragelift@aol.com

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi,

I am new to this forum and actually new to all forums. I have a Larson Thunderhawk Jr. with a 70 hp. Keikhaufer Mercury engine. Been in my family for 30 years. Always stored inside and in pretty good overall condition. Does anyone know where can I get an idea what the boat and moter is worth? The boat is a blast to drive. I just don't have the time or skill to fix the dock dings in the fiberglass. It has been taking up space in my garage for the past four years.

Gene Thestoragelift@aol.com

Welcome and how about some pictures?

As for what they are worth realy depends on so many factors with the first question is how long are you prepaired to wait for a collector/fancier to come along.

They are uniqe with some great lines.

For those woundering about my project:
it has been started and I am at the point of splitting the top half off.
I have been able to pick up 2 complete 57 electric start Big twins
Here is a picture of one of those.

I will post some pictures in the next couple of days.

Attachments

• Evinrude Big twin 001.jpg
    Evinrude Big twin 001.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Evinrude Big twin 008.jpg
    Evinrude Big twin 008.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 3

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That looks like a Wilcox Crittenden steering wheel in the last pic. Is there any
info out there on those. I have searched in vain. I have one on the '57 vintage
plywood runabout I'm restoring.
GH

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a couple of the boat prior to the tear down.

Attachments

• Thunderhawk Sr. 1 019.jpg
    Thunderhawk Sr. 1 019.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Thunderhawk Sr. 1 029.jpg
    Thunderhawk Sr. 1 029.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Thunderhawk Sr. 1 025.jpg
    Thunderhawk Sr. 1 025.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1

DecaturBob

Recruit

Hey all,

I've got a '58 Thunderhawk, Jr. I hope to start restoring soon. This thread and Lundungurls thread have been very helpful.

Attached are some pics of my boat. The exterior is in pretty good shape except for the discoloration on the hull below the water line. The interior is a mess and I've verified the wood filler where the sections mate is rotten and in need of replacement. The transom probably needs a rebuild as well.

I got a quote from a local guy to replace the transom, wood and new floor with new gelcoat for $3000.00. Does this sound reasonable? I'm considering having the body work done so I can focus on the mechanical systems.

About the HP size question... I found documentation on line that the '58 Junior was rated for max. 45HP. Here's a link http://www.theclassicboathouse.com/larsonspecs1.html and this is a nice site for Larson FiberGlas Boats history http://www.theclassicboathouse.com/larsonstory.html

Advice and thoughts are welcome.

Attachments

• HullStrBrd.jpg
    HullStrBrd.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 2
  • HullPort.jpg
    HullPort.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 2
  • CabStrBrd.jpg
    CabStrBrd.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 2
  • CabStrBrdMid.jpg
    CabStrBrdMid.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 2
  • CabStrBrdAft.jpg
    CabStrBrdAft.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 2

jepstr67

Cadet

In our area in MN, I see restored Jr's with 75hp motors quite often. The Sr. should easily be able to handle 75 or even 100. Remember, the ratings on these boats are historical. The V4 was a new concept in the late 50's sporting 50, 75 and later 1n the 1960's 100HP. Why would you rate a boat for a HP that didn't exist? Paul Larson designed the boats to match available power which is probably why the Thunderhawk Sr. with the wide, 2 engine, transom came into being. It sure doesn't do anything for the visual lines of the boat.

I have one each of the Thunderhawks. My Sr. is cracked bow to stern right down the center of the bottom and it sinks rather quickly. I've been in a 17 year long debate as to how to fix it. My Jr. I picked up a couple years back and I fear the transom is a hollow rotted wood core. I'm (will be) running 1959 Evinrude 35 HP Larks. 2 on the Sr. and one on the Jr. I might try a 75 on the Jr. after I know the transom is sound. I am determined to get the Jr. in the lake yet this year. I'll have to make a sign....."This is not the world's crappiest boat. This is the world's most neglected restoration project". LOL!

If you need parts or want to know history call John Monahan.
http://www.thejohnmonahancollection.com/
He grew up in Little Falls MN, his dad owned Larson Motor Service, and his information is the real scoop. He restores vintage motors and Larson boats. If he understands you are serious about your love of Larson boats you might even get a deal. If you are interested in the one and only Thunderhawk inboard, it is for sale at his place in Little Falls. (if you have plenty of money)

jepstr67

Cadet

Here's a couple of the boat prior to the tear down.

I see you have a "traditional" stern light.

The T-hawks had clear lexan rods with a brushed plexi top that glowed atop both fins. A fellow named Lee Wangstad was making reproductions several years back.

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see you have a "traditional" stern light.

The T-hawks had clear lexan rods with a brushed plexi top that glowed atop both fins. A fellow named Lee Wangstad was making reproductions several years back.

Thanks for the link to John I will be getting in touch with him shortly and would it be possible to get a email address for Lee.

Those light rods are the only pieces I need for this resto.

I got a couple of these for my power.

Attachments

• Evinrude Big twin 006.jpg
    Evinrude Big twin 006.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 1