cheap non-carpet floor ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am working my way to being pretty good at runabout refurb - really enjoy the hobby, probably on my 5th or 6th boat. not gonna catch of with Tash, but movin through nonetheless.

All the boats I have done so far needed new stringers, floor, and I went with the standard carpet, upholstered seats etc. I want to do something different on my current 60s 15ft glass V hull. I want a floor covering that is like vinyl, or linoleum, or something washable, and cheaper than doing a finish quality job with resin/mat/sanding etc.

I notice some wood boats have some kind of textured floor covering...ideas? Paint with light colored bedliner?

Thanks

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer
Re: cheap non-carpet floor ideas?

I once used a paint from lowes, designed for concrete, but it has sand mixed into it. Just scuff the surface real good and it held really well. Non-skid, and just sprays right off. Also, if it ever gets stained, just grab the can and dab some more on.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yep i've used the Lowes latex non skid. worked and looked very good, used it on 2 boats. and cheap.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Starting to think about the same think.

I'm thinking the vinyl deck material would be okay. I've seen a couple of fishing boats with similar.

Or the roll on deck coat.

I have indoor/outdoor carpeting in mine but would not recommend it.

Never thought about the concrete paint.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

I coated plywood with "KILZ 2" primer/undercoater, sprinkled (coarse) play sand on it, swept excess, another coat, more sand, swept excess, and topcoated with alkyd enamel.

We like it.

StarcraftDeckInstall008.jpg

Starcraftpaint003.jpg

Starcraftpaint005.jpg

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Joey - I like that floor, what did you do to cover the seams in the plywood - or did the paint lay thick enough to hide the seams?

fishrdan

Admiral

Good ideas guys, I've got a project boat and want to get rid of the carpet also.

The latex anti-skid coating is made by Valspar/Quickcrete, available in gray or 2 bases that can be tinted. Looks to be inexpensive and tintable to match the boat color. My question is, how does it hold up to mother nature and constant water exposure? Is this something only good for a few years or will it hold up for 10 years+?

I was checking out Nautolex marine vinyl flooring, but it's kind of pricey at $16-18/yard, 54 or 72" width.

Another option is the truck bedliner, Durabak, GrizzlyGrip, etc, but it's really expensive at almost $100/gallon...

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Joey - I like that floor, what did you do to cover the seams in the plywood - or did the paint lay thick enough to hide the seams?

The undercoater we used, KILZ 2 ($13/gal), went on real thick, and smoothed out the surface a little. We didn't sand or anything, and this is plain old exterior pressure treated plywood. Undercoater also plugged the seams between sheets. You can still see the seams if you look for them though.

Another idea would be to caulk the seams (with a paintable caulk, not silicone) and paint over that.

One caveat - I heard that once you lay sand down, you can't go back. Well, I'm sure you can, it's just not easy and a real mess. Not a problem for a deck (just cover w/ carpet if you didn't like it), but for other parts of the boat, you may want to think twice.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

My thought is still to get the vinyl flooring, or the Home Depot version made for decks, and piece the floor together. Maybe 3 or 4 pieces with the decking rolled over the edges and screwed down with stainless. The though is that it would be removable/repairable without ripping the whole deck out. Also it would give access to the hull if I needed to fix a rivet or two.

Still thinking about how this would work. It may only work for the aft portion and it may not work at all.

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

my uncle used a roll on non slip coating (not sure what brand) on the floor of his boat. it was an aluminum boat and he used commercial sign board for the floor. it was two sheets of thin aluminum with about a quarter inch of plastic in between. really nice floor material! he put it in with rivets. after taking it out a few times the coating cracked around the rivets. this was only cosmetic and other than that it was a great setup. this could have possibly been avoided by using one of the bedliner materials that cures soft and maleable. his was pretty hard when it cured. i would worry about any plywood seams cracking on a runabout if it werent a 1 piece floor.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have indoor/outdoor carpeting in mine but would not recommend it.

Wait, are we talking about astro-turf here?

(thats what was in my boat, the dye starts coming off)

I ask because I used the outdoor carpet on mine (water, UV, and oil resistant) on 2 boats now without any problems.

l_c89e726341288fe589cdf4b2f3bd7f0e.jpg

and at $0.40 cents a square foot your cant go wrong.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Wait, are we talking about astro-turf here?

I wouldn't call it astro-turf, but that may be what your thinking.

It's the almost plastic feeling stuff. Mine is a nice ugly brown to go with the orange paint on the boat.

Anyway, wouldn't recommend it. Your material is much nicer looking.

But I won't be doing carpet. I want to be able to hose down the blood.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be careful with spray on bedliner... it has a drying additive that can de laminate the plywood. (SPOKEN FROM EXPERIENCE)

bzajdek

Seaman

A product called Tuff Coat is sold by Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Overtons, it is a ruberized coating for decks, ramps, docks and boats. It is non slip and is a sound deadening material of great benefit for aluminum boats. I plan on using this on my boat this spring. One gallon covers 50 sq ft and can be brushed, rolled, or sprayed approx. cost $80

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Be careful with spray on bedliner... it has a drying additive that can de laminate the plywood. (SPOKEN FROM EXPERIENCE)

A product called Tuff Coat is sold by Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Overtons, it is a ruberized coating for decks, ramps, docks and boats. It is non slip and is a sound deadening material of great benefit for aluminum boats. I plan on using this on my boat this spring. One gallon covers 50 sq ft and can be brushed, rolled, or sprayed approx. cost $80

You gentlemen have answered a post that is 18 months old. I sincerely think the solution was found. I will close this post. Thank you for your input.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.