Bilge pump Install question

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class
My bayliner currently does not have a bildge pump in the bilge area, i have one in the boat but i have to place it and pump mannually. Its only a 16ft boat do you think plumming a permanent pump is worth while and if so where should i install the exit hole. I would ahve to drill a hole for the exit tubing which scares me a little. Also this boat is trailered and would only be in the water for a day at most. Only thinking about doing this for peice of mind. Thanks for the suggestions.

i386

Captain
Re: Bilge pump Install question

Its only a 16ft boat do you think plumming a permanent pump is worth while and if so where should i install the exit hole.

I've been looking into them for mine too. Small ones are pretty reasonable. You'll want your exit hole as close to the pump as practical and above the water line (very important).

Here's some info I ran across while I was researching for myself..

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/14.htm

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats on 2,000 !!!!!!! :D

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm in the same position, I trailer too. At least you carry a pump. I wouldn't worry about it. You should carry an alternate means of getting water out (hand pump, scoop, etc.) for emergencies. Suppose you're taking on water and the battery is drained?

Better safe than...sunk.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Maybe I should shut up for a while now.:D

DONT YOU FREEKIN DARE ! :D :D :D :D.

man....we need ya 386 !....or should i say ....commander :)

congrats.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

as far as the bilge pump goes.....

i would not think twice about installing one.

they are sooo simple, so easy to install, and a joy to have.

the thru hull goes on the transom up high. or the gunwhales aft....(either side).....(there is a porper fitting you can buy for 10 bucks)

a simple wiring job and a marine switch....yer done !

total cost....35 bucks. and two hours

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya i think i might do it since i already have the pump and wiring. All i would need to do is drill a hole and install a switch. Also should i install a float switch, they are realatively inexpensive and then i dont need a switch. One more thing, i probably wont drill throught the transom but maybe on the side of the boat near the outboard, should is there a fitting that i can use to give it a clean look. I assume if there is a fitting that i can use, i should install it using 4200 to seal the hole so its water tight. Thanks guys.

i386

Captain

Also should i install a float switch, they are realatively inexpensive and then i dont need a switch.

A float switch is nice, but it's important to be able to run it manually too. IMO the ideal setup would be Off/On/Auto. *Just don't burn it up running it dry in manual.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with oops, they are very easy to install and would give you piece of mind. Plus how much is your time worth? instead of fiddeling with a hand pump(which should be your backup anyway) why not flip a swith and be done with it. The time it would take to install one could be made up in one summer if you boat a fair bit. Just make sure you choose a good location for the thru hull to go and make sure to seal it up well. All the boats I have had (but many are different) the bilge pumps out the starboard side that way you can verify its working from the helm. Good luck if decide to go ahead with it.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forgot to add to above post a float is nice to have but not mandatory I have one that will go on automaticly(with float) or I can turn it on manually. Since I redid my transom though I have never had to use the pump, whereas before it would cycle on quite a bit throughout the day. The thru hull is a fitting you can puchase here on Iboats or any marine store. They are very flush to the hull and generally right under the rub rail depending on the boat. The 4200 would work fine to seal it up with.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did mine a bit different might not be the reccomended method but it seems to work fine. I left the bilge switch intact, a basic on off at the helm then I wired my float hot to the pump so it comes on automaticly if the float raises enough to engage switch inside float. But a three way would work fine as long as the auto mode was always hot to the float. Then the manual would be hot to the pump when switched to manual. I'm no electrician so others may have a much better way to do it, the above method has worked well for me though.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

The switch above is listed as OFF-ON-Momentary ON. This will work as OFF-AUTO-Manual On for the bilge pump, but since it is a "Momentary ON" that probably implies that it is a spring return to center (AUTO). I assume that you have to deliberately hold it in the Momentary ON position to make the bilge pump run manually. This could probably be considered a good feature in that it would prevent you from manually turning on the pump and then forgetting to turn it off.

I agree with the rest of the group that a bilge pump (particularly one with an automatic float switch) is a good thing to have. I have a 16' runabout with two batteries, two fuel tanks and two bilge pumps. I get offshore as much as I can so I obviously like the "two of everything" concept. (Except for the engine which I keep as well maintained as I can.) Besides, there's nothing quite as attention getting as the sound of an automatic bilge pump going off 60 seconds after you launch your boat. :rolleyes:

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well i think im going to tackle this project this weekend. Do you guys think 12 guage wire is suffiecent for a small bilge pump? Also this link as helpful as it is http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/14.htm doesnt tell me how to wire the three way switch it. To me it looks like i go power directly to the switch but then from the switch it doesnt say what i hook up to what, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are doing a thru-hull fitting and hose it is a good idea to make a short loop of hose above the thru hull fitting and then attach to the thru hull. Possibly a 90 degree thru hull.

The ABYC requires a fuse device within a reasonably short distance from the battery for the line to the switch. On mine that is the only circuit that is wired direct to the juice w/o a fuse. don't say anything, ok ?

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tried to label the wires to what i think they should be, does this look correct? Sorry for the writting, im horrible at paint. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 14_A.gif
    14_A.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 0

i386

Captain

I tried to label the wires to what i think they should be, does this look correct? Sorry for the writting, im horrible at paint. Thanks for the help.

That looks like it would work to me. You could hook up a little quick test before the install if you want. It's a slow day today but someone else will come along sooner or later.