Old cable/pulley steering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old cable/pulley steering

I bought a 1962 Starcraft yesterday with an 18 hp Johnson Seahorse. My question deals with the cable/pulley steering. I want to replace the cables and possibly the pulleys and I'm not interested in Teleflex or the like. My question is what type of cable to use. My choices are down to two: 5/32" vinyl coated clothesline or 3/32-3/16" vinyl coated cable. I've also considered plain galvanized cable (no vinyl). Obviously, the cable has to be flexible enough to work. I'd like to replace the pulleys but can't find them as wide as what's there without spending big bucks (can you tell I'm cheap?). Any ideas, suggestions, successes/failures, websites, etc would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Old cable/pulley steering

Definitely go with the vinyl coated cable. Plain galvinized will chew up the pulleys...
    - Scott
    Share A Project Page for 1971 GW Invader Banchie 13
    http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,433,00.html
    Share A Project Page for 1976 American 18
    http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,404,00.html
    Share A Project Page for 1974 American 15
    http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,405,00.html

Comment

Welcome to iBoats.

Center the engine and take plenty of pictures of the current configuration. Take pics of the stearn corners, engine connection, and especially of how it is wrapped on the spindle of the steering wheel.

Comment

I saw a diagram on here somewhere showing how to rig up a pulley system.
        Crosby Sled, '69 Evinrude 33HP Ski-Twin [Restoration Thread]

Comment

arrrrggggg ....

memorys of drifting in the water for an hour at a time trying to fix the durn thing.....i kept special tools just for that purpose.....

good luck
          The Hull Extension Thread
          great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
          November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Chinewalker is right - definitely go with the vinyl coated cable. Also, there should be a pair of tension springs in the system - either at the outboard or where the is cable terminated to the boat at each end. I had an old 14' homebuilt with a 25hp Gale that used a cable and pulley system. Classic! Keep shopping the internet - your bound to find some pulleys somewhere. As I recall, 2" diameter is about right.
            Construction Photos At:
            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=306152

Comment

Actually, I don't see any springs. Are these mandatory? What purpose do they serve? I'm asking as I don't know, not trying to be a smarty pants. I was thinking of duct taping the old and new together and undoing the old. Is this a guaranteed screw up?

Comment

I was thinking of duct taping the old and new together and undoing the old. Is this a guaranteed screw up?
                Ayuh,......

Those cable systems are Not strung from 1 end to the other,...
                They start in the center, at the helm,+ each side is strung where it's gotta go....
                The Springs are to keep tension on it, so it doesn't unravel off the helm.....

Comment

i'm running 2 boats on cable pulley i love it.

here are the directions i copied of the original 1950's directions.
                  http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=200994

let me see if i can get you more pics.
                  FLORIDA GATORS
                  TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                  That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

went out and shot these click on the pic to enlarge

FLORIDA GATORS
                    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Try some of the places on the Links page at www.aomci.org, they should have everything you need, you only need four pulleys (if they are damaged or frozen). I redid my cable-n-pulley system on my boat restoration by just searching the forum for those words...took a while to read it all, but if I can do it, well, nuff said.

Comment

"I don't see any springs"

On my '67 Starcraft they were in the corners of the stearn. As Bondo said they are there to keep tension on the cable so the cable doesn't come off the pulleys.

The vynel cracks and starts to peel off after a few years, usually at a pulley. Pulleys also crack and chip on the edges. Once the sheathing comes off, easy for cable to come off pulley, and jam. This seemed to always happen during a turn. When in good repair, they work well and have a wider swing and tighter turning distance than a teleflex.

If you couldn't tell after many years, converted it to teleflex steering.

Comment

for $9.00 i will restring every couple of years. mine take 50 feet of cable.
                          FLORIDA GATORS
                          TEBOW Country

Comment

Below is a small sketch of the system. The link posted above by Tashasd. is a good one and also has a good picture of cable wound on a steering drum. The old rig I had was wound a little different on the drum as shown below. These systems are simple - just be sure you rig it so the the boat turns left when you want it to go left, and so on.
                            Attached Files
                            Construction Photos At:
                            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=306152

Comment

yes one of my boats was done that way, the other one goes down both sides.
                              FLORIDA GATORS
                              TEBOW Country

Comment

Working...
                              X