Removing Tuff-Coat (Bed Liner)

Skeeter70507

Recruit
Hello everyone...I've searched the forums and I can't find anything on this - so if I missed it I apologize! I have a 19' bay boat (guess what kind...) It's a great boat. The guy who had it before me took the carpet out and painted on this stuff called "Tuff Coat Non-Skid Coating" that you get at Bass Pro Shops. The guy didn't bother to remove the carpet adhesive... So, the coating is discoloring and actually peeling up in places. Is there an easy way to remove this stuff? I'd like to get it out and put gelcoat in, but it is not sticking in some places and is bonded very well in others. Thanks in advance for any advice.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Removing Tuff-Coat (Bed Liner)

angle grinder 30 grit sanding disc , goggles, mask, long sleeves, change of clothes in the garage, you ain't getting the house. air compressor, with blow nozzle.

Coors

Captain

Fans, and read up in here, you need to install cloth before installing slippery gelcoat.

Zetman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take some pictures too! Before and after

dsibl

Cadet

Use a brother in law and metal scraper. It might peel up in big sections if it is applied thick. It is not like Line X or other commercial liners. It is rolled on. It wont hurt to try if it is peeling up all ready.

Skeeter70507

Recruit

Thanks for the replies! Was hoping for some magic solution you can spray on at night - when you wake up - poof, the stuff's gone... Oh well. I did manage to peel large peices off where it was applied thick (as dsibl wrote). There were some thin sections that required a scraper. I was worried about screwing up the fiberglass with the scraper... My plan - peel this crap off, scrape this crap off, use a carpet adhesive remover to get the glue out, then sand it. I have a buddy that will apply the gelcoat. Here are some pics. Any suggestions on the adhesive remover - I heard Goo Gone works...

Attachments

• CastingDeck1.JPG
    CastingDeck1.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 1
  • CastingDeck2.JPG
    CastingDeck2.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Transom1.JPG
    Transom1.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Transom_Close.JPG
    Transom_Close.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 2

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Try acetone to remove the glue. Its cheap, and available anywhere from auto parts stores to Walmart in with the autobody fillers.

Becareful, its flamable, vapors are heavier than air so they settle to the bottom of the boat and build up to explosive concentrations. Use a fan to keep vapor buildup away.

I used degreaser to remove adhesive on a large section of aluminum once. Worked well, smelled pretty bad.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

angle grinder 30 grit sanding disc , goggles, mask, long sleeves, change of clothes in the garage, you ain't getting the house. air compressor, with blow nozzle.

aint no easy way out here bud........the little elves we used to use to work on this stuff when we were sleepin.......they done gone went fishin !!!!!

you need a carpet scraper to get the primary coat off....then follow tashasdaddys instructions ..........

blood sweat and tears !