How to scrap a fiberglass boat hull

rotor_av8

Seaman
Does anyone know how to get rid of a descent shape 20' 1968 fiberglass cuddy cabin hull?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How to scrap a fiberglass boat hull

i have gotten rid of several, put on ebay for $20.00 project boat. pulled it on the trailer to front yard or corner, and put free boat, not trailer, on it. hauled it to the land fill, cut them up with a chainsaw, use a water hose to keep it wet, dust, put it out for the trash to carry off over a period of weeks. craigslist free boat.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I bought a cheapie last summer that had a motor and trailer with it - all of $50.00. The couple we bought it from cheered and told the kids the junk boat was gone and they were ordering pizza & wings for dinner!!

I got it home and pulled the motor off the boat and the boat off the trailer. I left the boat by the side of the road with a $50.00 sign on it. It was gone in three days. And we ordered pizza & wings that night!!

Point is, if you put a low enough price tag on it, someone will buy it and make it THEIR problem. Unless the boat is absolutely, positively non-salvageable, I think some attempt should be made to find a new owner... I hate it when a boat that could be saved is crushed or cut up...

- Scott

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

I've done the "Free Boat" thing before with Great Luck,......

But,.... Scott,.... I Love your $50. story Much Better............:D

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Another thing I've found is that if you sell it, it won't come back. If you give it away, it may find its way back onto your property... I had that happen to me about 15 years ago with a Lone Star I'd given away. We came back up to the cottage the next weekend and it was back in the yard - bugger didn't even bother to put it back on the blocks I'd set it on! If you sell it, even dirt cheap, it won't sneak back in the dead of night...
- Scott

tashasdaddy

last year i bought a boat and trailer in Orlando, didn't need or want boat, before i went to pick it up, i put the boat on ebay $20.00 free delivery between Orlando and Jacksonville,. sold it to a guy in Orlando, delivered it, push the boat off in his yard. save me the gas of towing the hull home.

Coors

Captain

Another thing I've found is that if you sell it, it won't come back. If you give it away, it may find its way back onto your property... I had that happen to me about 15 years ago with a Lone Star I'd given away. We came back up to the cottage the next weekend and it was back in the yard - bugger didn't even bother to put it back on the blocks I'd set it on! If you sell it, even dirt cheap, it won't sneak back in the dead of night...
- Scott

That's because you knew the buyers-the thief knows you never saw his face.

GiMLit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have scrapped 4 now to the landfill.
I stripped out what I wanted and dumped the rest.
All in the 17-20 ft range and most it cost me was $35 and I had tossed in a bunch of other crap that I wanted to dispose of.

rotor_av8

Seaman

Yeah...I'm just looking at options if too many parts become too hard or expensive to get for my old electric shift. Lots of parts can be salvaged and sold for more than what i paid for the whole boat as a last resort. I was just thinking since there is no metal i might have to pay to dump a hull. I suppose someone would pick it up for cheap or free though. I'm not giving up yet just looking at options.

Looking for electric shift outdrives. If you have one for fairly cheap PM me with your info.

rotor_av8

Seaman

I have scrapped 4 now to the landfill.
I stripped out what I wanted and dumped the rest.
All in the 17-20 ft range and most it cost me was $35 and I had tossed in a bunch of other crap that I wanted to dispose of.

$35? WOW! Do you live in Florida by chance? Do they charge by weight or a flat fee? Were they fiberglass?

tashasdaddy

the average 18' bowrider here goes about $20.00 at the landfill. you have to have the fuel tanks out.

Coors

Captain

Those days of taking them to the dump may be numbered.
I'm currently adding $3 million of improvements to the Clay County Landfill/Recycling, and I see people hauling in old hulls, talking to the people in the scale house, and making a u-turn, and taking them back out the gate.

Bondo

Staff member

-the thief knows you never saw his face.

Naw,..... No Thiefs involved,....

He Gave it away,..... The reciepient Returned it while he was away.........

Ayuh,.... Here's alittle "Free Boat" story for ya,......

Back in the early 80s,... A Bud of mine had a Junkyard,+ was junkin' a 1961 Glastron Jet-Flite, with an old V4 Johnyrude gashog 60hp....
I kinda liked it,+ had just bought my 1st waterfrontage,....
So he Gave it to me,... No Charge, just bring the trailer back,....
I drug it home,+ yanked the Johnyrude,+ bolted,.. No Clamped an 80hp I4 Merc on it,+ Went Boatin'....
'course, within a few Minutes, the motor slid off to the side in a turn,+ I danm near Lost it,... The old Cables,+ Fuel line holding it on,....
Anyways,.... I ran it a couple summers with a couple of 80hps.....:rolleyes:
Then I found a carbon copy of it, only in much Better(Not as Rotten) shape for $250. on a trailer,.. So I bought it....
I then Gave the 1st 1 to another Bud of mine,... Gone......
Tommy spent a good amount of time on it, He got as far as stripping it to the Bare glass shell,... Just alittle ridge where the stringers used to be..... All ready for Wood,+ Fiberglass........
Then he traded it off as a Project Hull.......
10, 15 Years or so later,... I'm splitting a big farmhouse with another Bud,... Cheap rent,+ Lots'a Room..... Well,.... In splitting the bills,.. Bob got into my pocket alittle ways,... To settle the debt,....

I got the little Glastron Back.......

Coors

Captain

lol, that Glastron just won't die.

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get a good (12 amp or better) sawzall or reciprocating saw, a pack of fine tooth (metal cutting) blades, and start cutting it up.

I've disposed of more than I care to think about in our 90 gallon "herby curby".

Takes time....(weeks) and if you fill your herby with household waste, it won't work. Most of the time ours is 1/2 to 3/4 full so there's room.

Also, if you tip your garbage pick up guy...he'll toss in the extra for you. I usually leave $3 to $5 depending on how much there is! I set it beside the container, or if I'm home, meet him out there. Takes three minutes to make the deal. I've got an arrangement with my trash guy....and it works.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

You could just wait until one of us suckers here in the restoration and building section finishes our project... :D

Bondo

Staff member

lol, that Glastron just won't die.

Ayuh,......

I've still got Both of them sitting in the backyard,....
Waiting for my Attention........;)

GiMLit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

$35? WOW! Do you live in Florida by chance? Do they charge by weight or a flat fee? Were they fiberglass?

Charge by weight.
I asked if there were any stipulations of what it could still have on it and they said no.
Odd considering our landfill is considered very cutting edge from what I am told.