Phantom Black Paint

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Guys,
I'm almost ready to paint my motor, and was wondering if anyone knows what type of paint Merc used on their older motors, i.e. lacquer, enamel etc.? Also, is there an OEM 2 part paint available? Any opinions on the Quicksilver rattle cans? Thanks......

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Phantom Black Paint

My opinion on the Quicksilver rattle cans is that they do as good of a job as you let them. I stink at painting, so I get runs in mine. But I would do that in a state of the art spray booth with the best equipment ever, cause I have no skill!
That said, if you go the spray can route, save the money, Quicksilver paint is no better than the $.97 cans at Walmart. I repaint my B3 every year (it has some corrosion issues and sits in the water all spring/summer/fall) and the Quicksilver paint doesn't look or stick any better than the cheap stuff at Wal Mart.
Good luck to you.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

I've been painting my outdrive with Rattlecan Rustolium annually, for years....

If you want 2pt. Gun sprayed paint,.....
Most any Automotive Paint supply house will gladly sell you Black paint......

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Ed, Quicksilver Pantom Black paint is black gloss enamel. I use spray cans of whatever is available. If you want a higher shine, use some black lacquer, if you can find it!

ocb_dave_ocb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you want to spray with a gun, go to oriely or Napa and tell them you want a quart of Black acrylic enamel. OR if you want a bc/cc go to advance auto parts. They have a quart of Primer, quart of black, and quart of clear. Probably get it all for $75 or <

I think its made by duplicolor..